Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery on Feb. 24

slowpoke60sslowpoke60 Posts: 139
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I saw the Doctor today. They have scheduled my surgery on my neck for February 24.

The diagnosis is : C5-6 C6-7 HNP Stenosis.

I am not sure what this means?

• You have a herniated disc and the stenosis is most likely degenerative. Meaning that it has happened over time. Just my opinion here but it sounds like they are saying the discs have worn down in some way maybe? Are they planning on a fusion at those levels? You should call them back and ask lots of questions. I know I would! We'll all be here supporting you through your surgery and after. Let us know what they are planning on doing.
    Oh and I am in NO WAY a doctor so this is my simple humble opinion.
  • Thanks for the information. I do have arthritis and DJD which did a lot of the damage.

He will be fusing all 3 together. I will be seeing them again before the surgery and am planning on asking more questions then.

He said that I would have to wear the neck brace all the time,and not looking foward to trying to sleep in it.

• Hello to you, my fellow cervical spiney.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I know it's pretty scary, ok, REALLY scary, but before you know it, you'll be on the road to recovery.

I wore a Miami J collar (hard collar) for four weeks after my surgery and I actually liked it. I guess because it covered my incision and protected it and it kept me from moving my head. I felt pretty fragile back then, so that made me feel much better. I then wore the soft collar for two months and that one I hated.

The interesting thing about the collars: When you wear the hard collar, people can't open doors fast enough for you, everyone wants to help you and a few strangers will come up and ask you if you had "that surgery." But with the soft collar, people just look at you like you're trying to sue someone to get a bunch of money. :))(

That sounds like I'm kidding, but I'm not.

Anyhoo, good luck to you. Feel free to PM me any time if you have questions or just need to talk.

Cath >:D<
  • But yes I am finding that in my Miami J collar everyone is always trying to help you. I am flying in a week and hopeing to use it to my advantage to get a good seat!!

We gotta laugh sometime!! And I do agree now when I do take my collar off its like my head is going to roll off or I feel like am missing I actually like wearing it now.

Must be the meds speaking!!
  • Isn't the collar a funny thing Libby? I've actually had people want to "rent" my hard collar so they could get "special" treatment. :))(

Good for you on using your collar for a good seat. YOU GO GIRL!!! If you gotta have it, use it to your advantage like you say. But don't let your head fall off! Let me know what happens!

PS I hope you're going somewhere fun
  • The doctor said that I would be wearing a soft colar. He did not say anything about a hard one. But I know what you mean about the way people look at you if you wear a soft colar.

I am wondering, how did any of you sleep with the colar on?
    I have looked on this site and read what people say about
    pillows and still could not see how in the world you sleep.

• Truts me after much manuvering of a pile of pillows I found a way that works for me. I did sleep on the recliner the first few days but I'd rather sleep on my bed.
  • I also slept in a recliner for the first week. But Libby is right, you will find a way, especially with a soft collar. The meds you'll be on will help, too.

• Thanks, any information that I can get before hand will be more than welcome. I am not really looking foward to the surgery, but I will be glad to get rid of the headaches that I have. My shoulder and arms and hands hurt and go to sleep, but the headaches are really rough to have.

• Hi Joyce,

Was surfing the site... i'm a newbie too, and like you am looking for all the answers! Your post caught my eye, because my surgery will be the same date as yours, if it goes ahead. I'll be having a double discectomy/fusion/cage for C5/C6 and C6/C7 due to herniations and nerve compression.

We'll have to look after each other!! Best of luck with your op!!
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Hi,

Well, I don't know now if I will be having the surgery on 2/24 or not. Found out today that my doctor has dropped my insurance, so I will be seeing another doctor this Thursday to see if he can help me. This new doctor did back surgery on my sister a few years ago and she said that he was good. So I'll let you know more after I return Thursday.

Hope you do well with your surgery. Be sure to keep in touch.
    We all can use a good buddy during this stuff. I am really NOT looking foward to it. Been buying stuff I think I will need, but you know how it is, I will be sure to forget something.
  • Also this new doctor is a Neurologist where the other one was a Orthopedic doctor.

I don't know if this will make a difference or not.

• Saw new doctor and he told me that I did not need surgery, but just needed the shots. I ask him, what if the shots do not work, he did not answer me. So I called my Orth. Doctor and am going to reschedule surgery with him. I am going to talk to him about the shots, but I don't want a temporary fix.
    My husband drives truck, I use to drive also, but then due to the neck and back problems had to stop driving and just went to riding, now I can't even ride in a car very far, much less the truck.

I want these problems fixed so that I can return going back out with him.

I know some people recommend the shots, but I am just not sure about them

• I hate to say it but shots or INJECTIONS did not work for me at all, so, my Dr. went ahead and recommended surgery. Let me warn you, though, make sure you have a comfortable recliner and lots of SOFT food prepared. Ice cream, puddings, mashed potatoes, purreed soup. Make sure to ware your soft collar to bed. You will not be able to lift more than 3-5 lbs for several weeks. I ended up having to have rehab afterwards. I don't want to scear you, but this surgery is NOT a piece of cake.
    Please let us know how things turn out. keep us up to date. I hate that your first doctor dropped your insurance!
  • I found out that I can use my Orth. Doctor. I called my insurance company and I can go back to the plan that I had last year, which my Orth. Doctor is part of. So that is what I did.

So I have a call into them to make an appointment for next week to see him and go back over everything.

Should I tell him what the Neuro. Doctor said? I am thinking about asking him why the different between their findings.

I really am not looking foward to the surgery, but I do want relief from all the pain and get my life back!

• Hey joyce,
    sounds like good news on the ins front and that you're happy about going back to the OS. If it were me... I'd let the OS do his thing, get his advice, and then, if the advice is different reveal your earlier opinion from the NS and ask your questions... better to have all your questions answered as best you can so that you don't come out of the op (if you do have it) wondering what if...

Keep us posted (and thanks for the PM too... we have very similar symptoms!)
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Hi Diamonde,

That is also what I think. I really like the OS doctor and feel really confortably with him.

• Finally got word from the doctor. My surgery is rescheduled for March 12th, which is a Friday. Don't know if that is a good day or not, being right at the weekend.

But I am glad I finally got everything straight witht the insurance company so that I could get the surgery rescheduled.