Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I dont know what to do.My life is miserable.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi.my name is Kelly. I am a male of 24 years of age, and i have chronic back pain in lower spine. Turns out i have 3 bulging discs starting from L1-L4. And i am also victim to a very serious herniation of my L5 S1 also. Im not sure what to do. If i get up and try to move around its like it only makes things worse. My legs give out on me due to a serious nerve root. I am los in life righ now im very depressed. If someone could give me some advice on how to currently maybe take some pain off without meds,because they are stRTING TO not even work.Im taking Vicoden Es/325.i have to take 8 of these a day and i barely get ne relief. And my doctor repeatedly refuses to put me on Oxycodone 5mg. I cant sit up for long periods of time unless I have some potent painpills in me.fir exMPLE MY TOLERANCE IS very high due to me being on oxycodone for about 4 months before he put me on vicoden.but i was getting it off the street for pain only.im not a junky.but now its 6 months later after this has started and im still in bed and am not able to sit up for long periods of time and stand due to too much pain. Pleas help me.Or at least cheer me up.im going through a really rough time right now.Thank you and sry for mispells and noncapitalization of words.

• Are you having pain and numbness in your legs also? I'm on lyrica for that pain and it's really helping. I'm also on amitriptyline for nerve pain and it's also an anti-depressant. I'm on muscle relaxers and a sleeping pillIt's good if you can do a little excercise if it's cleared with your Dr. I do recumbent stationary bike and slim glider machine. Both machines are very cheap. Are you seeing a pain management Dr? Injections may help you. You need to be referred by your Dr. Have you seen a Neurologist or Orthopedic surgeon? Have you had EMG testing? If you're not getting any of these things I suggest you get another Dr. Take care and hope these herniated disc clears up on it's own. Heat also helps. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :H Welcome to SH >:D<

I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain and having problems with doc giving you the pain mngmt you deserve. A lot of us here struggle with that. I was about to ask the same questions charry did so it will save me from typing.

Unfortunately, we can't take away your pain or give you the answer you need to fix it, however we can support you, be here and lend a shoulder to cry on, listen to your good and bad days, offer advice and we here to laugh together. Everyone here is wonderful!

I too get to your point far too often and that's when I come on here. I'm not sure what to say to cheer you up although I can tell you that I know how you feel, what you are going through and how frustrating it is being so young and in so much pain. I'm 31 now but my pain started getting severe in my early 20's.

I even went as far to try to mask my pain with drugs an alcohol in my early 20's. It worked for the moment but when I woke up, I felt worse because I would do stupid things and I had to deal with real life all over again. I also spent too much money for this.

You do need to find a doc who will listen to you and take your pain serious. It doesn't sound like you have that. What kind of doc is prescribing your pain meds? What kinds of tests (MRI, xray, CTscan, discogram etc) have you had done? What kind of procedures and conservative treatments have you tried so far?

Hang in there, keep your chin up and feel free to PM me anytime you have any questions, comments or concerns.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are suffering so much. ~X( i hope being around like minded people will be of some comfort to you. good luck as you seek pain relief! we are here to listen!! :D Jenny :)
  • I am so sorry to hear of the pain that you are suffering. You are probably having an extra tough time getting proper pain meds because of your age. I have seen lots of young folks here say that their doc does not want to give them pain meds strong enough to actually do some good because of their age. I think that is horse hockey because especially if you have test results that verify your pain, you should get proper pain management just like anyone else. You have come to the right place for understanding and support. I hope that you will soon find a solution and some relief. We will be here for you anytime that you need us. Please keep us posted.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    For starters you did a very dangerous thing, purchase pain medication off the street. That is a sure fire way to look for major trouble

What options has your doctor given you?

Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy
    Spinal injections

Many doctors will refrain for writing scripts for stronger pain medications unless the person option is surgery.

Finally, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to try to eliminate that feeling that life is miserable.
    You can easily get yourself into a downward spiral doing that. Instead you need to focus on the positive and keep that up every day.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com