Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will be having L5-S1 fusion soon-very worried and scared!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
:/ Hello all. I have been reading some of these posts and figured that I would join in. I am sitting here now wondering how my experience will go. I am waiting for scheduling for my surgery. I have already had a non-invasive S.E.D surgery on 3/08 with no benefits. I have undergone tons of epidurials and nerve block injections without any relief. My orthopedic doc wants to do another S.E.D surgery soon to see if a second wack at it will give me benefits, while a neurosurgeon I saw for a second opinion wants to go for the fusion to get rid on all my problems once and for all. I have been out of work now for 6 weeks without pay (I work part-time with no benefits) and this surgeon says that the sooner we do surgery the better chance for me to fully recover and get back to work. I am sick of being like this. My life has never been the way it used to be since a boating accident in 2007 caused all the problems. I am at my wits end. I don't want the "big" fusion surgery, but I am afraid that the "mild" S.E.D surgery will not work again for me, sending me later back to the neurosurgeon for the fusion.

I know this is all whinning, but I feel that it is helpful for me to be able to sit here tonight and get all these thoughts and fears out in the open.

I you have anything to say to me, please write. I would love to hear from anyone out there who has had to make these same kind of decisions.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are facing another procedure. :( i really hope it works for you. i can understand your wanting to get back to work and most of all have an end to your pain.. i always go in with the most positive attitude and i know you will too. take this one step at a time and don't worry about what will happen if it does not succeed. [( try and keep yourself focused on this upcoming procedure and don't go any further than that. you are getting yourself worked up and the stress is bound to increase your pain level. ~X( i hope you find some comfort being around others who are suffering as you are! good luck and please keep us posted as you progress. i look forward to reading your posts! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. There are lots of people here that can relate to your situation. I am seeing my Ortho on Friday to talk about surgery. I have two bad discs, L4/5 and L5/S1 with Spondylithosis.
    It is hard to make a such a big decision. On the other hand we all want to get our life back. Have you thought about getting a third opinion? Some do.
    No one can tell you what to do, you have to be comfortable with your decision and with your Surgeon if you decide to go that way.
    Please let us know what you decide and check out all the information available here on this site.
    Take care,
  • Yes I know that I must let go and let God on this. I am a control freak, and this is hard for me to just let the surgeon do his thing. I am focusing on trusting and just letting what happens happen.

Thanks again for your comments and support. I will hear from the doc tomorrow and will post his comments.
  • It is a very hard decision. I agree with the others and stay focus, get a 3rd opinion if possible, do all your research and vent your frustration and fears to us as you please. That's what we are here for :X .

I wish you the best of luck on this decision as I know it's not an easy one to make.

• I've been thinking this over all day today and I believe I am going towards selecting the fusion from the neurosurgeon over the discogram from the orthopedic surgeon.

I know my recovery will be MUCH longer, but in the long run I will reap the benefits of having it all done.
  • Good luck with the surgery Marilyn. :)
    Keep us posted with the date and keep in touch during your recovery!
  • I guess now the two doctors are talking together about doing the surgery. They are trying to figure out how to revamp the thing for the best benefits for me. I will hear back from both of them on Monday. I will keep you informed. Thanks again for all the great support.

• Marilyn, please make sure the NS explains to you all the after surgery facts. One of them being that you will never be able to lift heavy weights the rest of your life. I'm talking about more than 25 lbs. to 40 lbs.
  • wait mrlee is that true? Im also supposed to get a L5-S1 fusion and my doctor never said anything about not lifting heavy things. I used to be a gymnastics coach in my spare time, i lift kids! He said I would be fine after a year or two?

Marilyn I know how hard the decision to do the fusion surgery is! Ive been grappling between that and a repair that "might work"...I think ive come to the same conclusion as you. Im not getting mine till May keep us updated!
  • Hi Marilyn.

I too, have just decided to go ahead with a fusion at L5/S1. It was a really hard decision for me and I've been going back and forth between ADR and fusion for 2 years now.

I have done lots of research (I am also a control freak/information junkie) and have decided that for my quality of life, I need to do this. I have given up so much due to my limitations and I just want to be living life to the fullest. I found that once I committed to it, I felt much better emotionally. Now I am actually excited about getting on with it and getting to the OTHER SIDE of surgery. My biggest obstacle is getting the surgery done. I have at least a 3 month wait. Gotta love 'free' health care. (I am in Canada).
    Good luck with your decision and I wish you a speedy recovery!

• hi am new to this site i have ddd cervical spine ddd lumbar spine neck pain hnp cervical and lumbar radicupathy left lower ext had discography on monday was told need spinal fusion have been reading on comp but all i find is horror stories anyone have any stories with good outcomes i injured my back at work in aug of 08 iam a nurse was lifting heavy pt of floor have been inagonizing pain since now waiting for work comp to auth procedure
  • Well, after deciding to go with my neruosurgeon with the fusion sugery, my ortho doctor called and had me come in to review my MRI films. Seems both docs have discovered something else wrong. There is something inside of the vertabre that they didn't see before. So,,,,to make a long story short, we are doing an endoscope with exploration surgery tomorrow (Wednesday). They want to find out what the "thing" is. They will repair anything they can for a "quick fix", but I may still require the fusion down the road.

I will keep you all informed of the outcome. Thanks for all the support and comments. I pray that each of you in your decisions about surgery and/or your recovery from surgery will find the peace that God has promised all of us.

• I had L4/L5 and L5/S1 surgery 19 months ago. Now i have permenant nerve damage on the left side. Actually i have pain in both feet all day. It gets worse in the evening and moves into my legs. I had the minamaly invasive surgery. original pain has gotten better as long as i dont over do it. I was told not to lift anything over 10 lbs on a regular basis. It has been quite an experince. I got 3 opinions and went with the best that i liked. My doctor would not operated until i told him i couldn't take it anymore. He stated they are no garauntees. It could get better.no change, or worse. I didn't think i would become disabled at 43 but it happened. i've tried so many meds it's unreal and nothingseems to work for me. I know people who had great success with the shots,p.t., meds, etc. Everyone is different. I hope it works for you. Good luck.
  • The doc's office called yesterday with a new surgery schdeule. I will have my surgery on Wednesday, the 11th as long as I can pass the blood and unine test this time with no signs of infection.

I will keep you all posted
  • Why May. If your not in severe pain there are other methods you should try first. get several opinions and see pain management doc. Why does doc say you need surgery

• Almost two weeks now since my L5-S1 endoscopic surgery. This was my second surgery at the same sight in less than a year.

How am I doing? I feel worse now than before surgery. I wheeled myself into the docs office to beg to see the neurosurgeon to take a look at me. My ortho doc says that it is way too soon to think about more surgery and fusion since surgery was only two weeks ago. He said that I could feel like this for up to 8 weeks. He added more meds to my list. I now take 300 mg of Lyrcia, 10mg of Percocet several times a day, 10 mg of Vicodin seveal times a day, 10mg of Oxycontin a couple times a day, along with Soma 325 mg three times a day. I feel like I am going to overdose, but the doc says I have to reach a point where I am out of pain, then manage the break-thru pain from there. I can't get out of pain, that's the problem!

I just lay in bed or sit in my wheelchair all day long. I want to get back to work, but the doc says it is impossible for some time yet. I hate this, I don't have any benefits from work, so I am sitting here not bringing in any income. This just sucks! Doc said I can't get SSI yet because they still haven't tried the fusion yet. I just want to get this all over with. I hate that this has robbed me of my life. Anybody else out there feel the same way?
  • >:D< Firstly welcome to all newbies, spine health i full of information and members that are in the same or simular situations to yourself. >:D< Marilyn i had L4/L5 S1 back in 2003 :''( ,when i had it done the surgeons would not allow me to sit for no more than 20mintues a day ~X( . I found the recovery so frustrating ~X( , as i was not used to having people do everything for me @) . So what i had to do was get used to the idea that this was recovery time :S , so thats what i did, i used to plan the television programmes out for the day :) , i read alot too :B , real life stories in magazines,that always made me feel better knowing there were people worse off than myself :B . Try and turn negative thoughts into positive ones :D . Finally i went back to work, as a mental health worker :) , and i was not too bad, but one day i was off work doing some gardening and picked up a garden slab @) , the next thing i heard a click and crunch in my back :''( . That was 2 and a half years ago :? , i had to give up my job :''( , which i loved doing so much and was good at it. I have days when i cry get angry, because now im unemployable :( , but once the surgeons have got me on track with my back :''( , i have decided to work from home, that way i can go at my own pace :? . I could sit and cry all day everyday but i always try and turn negative thoughts into positive ones O:) . Just remember your back will never be perfect :SS , and there will always be that weakness there :S . Keep posting :D ! PM me anytime you need to rant 8} !

Angie :H