Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is med change a good i dea?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Medications
how do i start a med change conversation with my doctor? i know there are a lot of people who abuse pain meds, and it is hard enough to get a doctor to help anyway. but the meds im on dont seem to work as well.ive been on the same meds since may of 07 and i start to feel pain as soon as 1 hr after taking them. can anyone relate? and if so what did you do to fix the problem? if anyone has any advice i would appreciate it. thank you in advance.

• When I went to my Doctor I told her the med wasn't working and I'm having so much pain. I told her the medication wears off about 4 hours after using it. At the time I was on 30mg MS Contin twice a day and she changed it to 4x day. I also walked in with my cane and lumber support belt. Not as an act but to demonstrate the amount of pain. I hope you get some pain relief. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I try to be completely 100% honest as to why I think I need to try something else. I never ask for a med. I will express my current lack of coverage or duration and ask for alternatives. If I have read about something that sounds plausible or interesting. I will wait until the care provider finished their suggestions or saying no before saying "What about" or "I heard about xxx will it work?".

Now, I'll also admit in my current situation as I am managed by my PCP he is hard to deal with. Very afraid of pain meds. VERY. I have suggested we try other things besides the 10/325 Hydrocodone I know take 6 times a day.
    He will not go there. I have not even been able to get him to let me try Ultram. All he says is, " well you know you don't do well with most meds and this is somewhat working. We should not play around with it". I wish I could get a trial of something long acting. Now at least I am getting closer to a trial of an SCS, so that is his standard reference. " the scs may be the answer till then we will just keep with what we have"

anyway, I hope my method works better for you then it does me :(
  • Well, PM doctors want you to communicate with them if you're not doing well with a certain medication. They want you give it a decent try before asking to switch. Chances are if you've been on the same med for a long time, then more than likely your body has developed a tolerance and your dose needs to be adjusted. It happens all the time and it has nothing to do with being addicted. Go ahead and talk to your doctor, and let him do the recommendation (don't ask for a specific medicine). All you say is no, I haven't tried that or yes, I used that one and it made me queasy all the time (examples). Always be honest and you shouldn't have any problems. I hope it works out for you, take care
  • for the advice ive just been scared to ask because so many doc are scared of pain meds but i do see a pm doc so i have a little more confidence in asking about a change. thanks to you guys. i just dont want him to get the wrong idea but ive been on this med and dose since may of last year and ive never asked him to up it or change it but hopefully he will see the truth of the matter and help me ill keep u guys posted. and thanks again. :H
  • When you do get around to asking, gauge the atmosphere first. Doctors are human just like us and you don't want to test the waters on a stormy day ;)
  • My PCP has been wonderful about my meds. Granted, I had to sign one of those FDA contracts, that I wouldn't go to other docs for pills and I would not ask for refills ahead of time. I've been kept pretty comfortable and am now weaning off my patches. Just using oxycodone for break-through pain, which has not been bad.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • for some reason my doc always seems to be in a good mood. but anyone can surprise you but ill keep that in mind. ;) and thanx for responding
  • i read your bio on diagnosis you have been thru a lot. i wish you luck and hope that your nerve pain is temporary. i can only hope my doc is as compitent as yours. he is trying to do the small procedures first (i think) or milking my insurance. but i try to stay optimistic. anyway thanx again and best wishes.
  • I have had the most success talking in terms of the pain level I am at and the pain level I am willing to live with.

For instance, when my pain was constantly around a 7 on a good day, I told her that I know my pain will never be gone, but I find a 7-8 on a daily basis to be unbearable. I would be content to get down to a "5" on a daily basis - did she find that reasonable and was there a way we could work towards that?

I've never had to mention a med by name. Just told her what level my current meds schedule put me at.

Good luck!!

• Im kind of in the same situation as you are bear. I love my PM Dr. He is very easy to talk to. I haven't asked for any increase yet, I'm trying to hold out and see if I can get used to the regimen I'm on now. I am on alot of meds. 40 mg Oxycontin every 12 hours 10 mg Oxycodone every 8 hours for Break thru. It just seems that the break thru does absolutely nothing for me. The Oxycontin works wonders but does not last the 12 hours. I think the best policy is honesty ans Im also doing a pain journal. And to be honest, the last thing I want to do in increase my meds. I hate being on them. I hear comments from my friends that say I would LOVE to have all of those drugs....but the truth is, its terrible being reliant on meds to live a semi normal life.
  • the med change conversation went great he was very understanding and he gave me a stronger medication. which is already helping me a lot. but, i just wanted to say thank you for the encouraging words it really helped to gain the confidence to ask for help.
    your spiney friend