Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question for anyone who had arthroscopic shoulder surgery

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
my arthroscopic shoulder surgery is on for tomorrow. i am hoping this ends my neck pain..just six months after ACDF 5-6..
I have call into my doctor's office, but was wondering if anyone had experience with this...I just remembered that last time I had a CT scan with dye I had a mild allergic reaction to the dye (itchy scrachy throat) they made me wait there quite a while to see if i developed hives and would need benedryl; which I did not. Suggested pre-medicating prior to any future CT scans. I forgot to tell my internist and surgeon..i can't find any info on this online...does anyone know if CT scan dye is used during arthroscopic surgery? Hopefully NOT since I did not pre-medicate. thanks

• the doctor called me..said he had it in my chart (I guess I didn't remember telling him) but said to tell all the nurses again..they would put a band on me...in the extreme case they would need to do a CT scan. He helped me t relax! thanks again.
  • I would let the Dr. know before surgery and the Nurses as suggested if God forbid for some reason they need to do CT with contrast. I had a arthroscopic surgery for a partial subluxation from lifting a patient and had severe pain. Since the arthroscopic shoulder surgery was done I had no pain except post-op pain. It was about 4 years I had bursitis and pain in that shoulder. Now still no problems about 11 years after. I hope things go well for your surgery. They used no dye for mine. But if you have an allergy band and mention it to your Anesthetist before going under is a good thing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It is a great idea since not everyone reads your chart clearly and precisely. Take no chances. I did not have contrast dye for my rotator cuff/bicep repair. I have those three little holes to remind me of it. You will be so much better after and after the neck surgery this will be a piece of cake. Best Wishes
  • Good Luck Hun, I know you will do great!

My shoulder surgery was one year ago next week and I am doing pretty good with it. I had a nerve block in my neck as well. I had a reaction with this, I guess they got to close to something and I had shortness of breath and passed out, it wasnt fun at all. It took about 15 seconds for it to start after the needle was removed, the person who did it was allready walking away. If you have one done, just make sure you tell them anything that is out of the ordinary!