Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Despite fusion restrictions, found 1 thing to help other aches & pains

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wanted to let you know something I learned from my doc today. Keep in mind that YOUR doc may not agree but still thought I'd share it. It involves an over the counter creme pain reliever.

To preface, in addition to the pain I have with spinal fusion, I also have bursitis in a shoulder and a terrible neck from a very old car accident. Well as luck would have it, I threw my neck out this morning and wondered if I could use aspercreme which I've used in the past to rub into the painful areas. For those of you not familiar with it, it is a topical salicylate pain reliever. It works by reducing swelling and inflammation in the muscle and joints. I really didn't want to increase my Lortab because I've just worked it down to 20 mg a day.

So...called my docs office and they said as long as I didn't rub it on an open wound or directly on or near the fusion it would be fine. So my neck and shoulder at least now have some relief. Yipeee! Just wanted to share the info in case it might somehow help others here. One warning!!!! Apply it with gloves because if you apply it with your hands and then rub your eyes it will really burn.
advertisement

Comments

• I fell down the other day and hit my head on the back of my mom's garage. Cracked the siding I hit so hard. My back is fine(360 fusion 9 weeks ago) but my shoulder is sore. I believe the creme would be better than pain meds or an anti-inflammatory med at this point. Thanks for the info and feel better soon.
  • I didn't even know they made that stuff anymore...wasn't that the commercial with the rodeo guy and the horse
    with him getting thrown off..and needed to rub his shoulder

thanks for the hot tip, Kathy