Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Headaches, Post-Op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had laminectomy/discectomy and both sides of L3/L4 and L4/L5 Dec. 4th. I noticed a couple of weeks after surgery that I was having headaches about all the time. There is a lot of pain at the base of my skull that reaches up into my head along the side of the back and top and behind my eye. This happens on both the right and left sides, but mostly on the left side. I had a brain scan done this morning (CT). I think though this pain is probably seated in my neck and upper spine. My back problems have always been in my lower back, and I've never been prone to have headaches, so this is all new to me. I would appreciate any input - thanks.

• Welcome to Spine Health! I am a frequent headache sufferer, but you indicated that you are not, so it is a new symptom for you. If I would experience anything so unusual and unexpected, I would call my surgeon. There is a reason for the headache, it could be side-effect of a drug, stress, a wrong position, etc, but there is no way you or any of us here would know. But it definitely worth investigating. So give them a call, see what they suggest.

Good wishes,

• Thanks for the welcome, Kinpain! I did talk with my neurosurgeon and he immediately ordered the brain scan, which I had today. I'm not taking any medication right now except Tylenol. My next appt. with my surgeon is about a week and a half from now. Perhaps the bone spurs grew restless in the upper part of my spine and neck with the insult of the lower spine trauma of surgery. I feel a needle prick sensation in areas of upper spine and continue to have numbness in hand and forearm mostly on left side. Headache is bad now, even as I speak (ur type). :-)
  • Has your doctor considered spinal fluid leak? I know you are pretty far out, but it did start not too long after surgery. If so this would be apparent on a lumbar MRI, perhaps he needs to look lower if he doesn't find a reason on the head scan. Now of course it seems like a lot of spineys with lumbar problems end up with cervical problems which can have headache as a symptom. I developed neck and shoulder pain after my L4-5 fusion and am just now feeling a little relief after almost 6 months. I hope you find some answers soon. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Thanks much, Cali-Sue! I'll see what I find out here in a few days...