Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe neck pain/ herniated disk..2 months what to do?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

My 30 year old boyfriend was stretching in our kitchen after a long days work in the studio (producer/bass guitarist) and felt a sudden pain. It was the third time he'd thrown his back out that year so he did the usual visit to the chiropractor hoping for relief. After that didn't work, he went to the doctor who said he hadn't pinched a nerve and that it was just a pulled muscle. After several visits to more doctors a neurosurgen, acupuncturist and second chiropractor he finally was "allowed" an MRI that found he did indeed have a herniated disk between c6-c7 and it was pinching his nerve. Too bad the doctor hadn't thought to order this test 6 months before when he complained of tingling in his arms...oh well

Now he's been doing physical therapy and acupuncture for 1 month with no relief. Pain between 4-8 depending on the day or time. Medications started with Ibuprofren, Gabapentin, and muscle relaxers. He took Pretnizone steroid for a week along with Zantac for his stomach.

Now he's just on Vicodin. The only relief he gets is with a traction machine that he borrowed from PT but the pain shoots right back when he's not using it.

He's getting so depressed, experiencing weird discomfort in his mouth, and still the severe arm pain and numbness.

A friend told us about cervical endoscopic surgery. I was trying to find info about it here but I only seem to find posts of the anterior disc surgery with or without fusion. He's going to ask his doctor about it because he just seems on a downward spiral and this seems like a great solution if it works. Simple surgery, remove the part of the disk that's hanging out and voila? Can't be that simple can it? Our friend that told us had three friends who've had it and recovered easily.

Any advice is welcome. He'd do anything to get better. Also, any advice on the pain meds? He feels very depressed which is unusual for him

i know exactally how your bf feels!
    iam now awaiting my second surgey:-(
    i had an accident and suffered for 9 months before they found out that c5-c6 had imbedded itself deeply into my spinal cord and by the time i had the emergancy surgery i could hardly walk!
    now c6-c7 has gone and so need same op and fusion again...
    i take lots of pain meds also but not much really helps..
    surgery for lots is not the end i feel though as many need further ops in the future..
    i feel for your bf and hope he gets the surgery soon!!
    stay positve,i know its hard but dont give in;-)

best regards and kkep us posted..
  • yes please let me know if you find any info on that endoscopic surgery because fusion sounds to serious and makes me nervous.
  • Your BF should be seeing a pain management Dr. to maybe give injections and review his pain medication. Also has he had an EMG? When you see the Dr. with him bring a list of questions to ask. Sometimes people can heal on their own so you have to try everything conservative first. But I had a EMG and pain management Dr. to give nerve blocks to stop the pain in my leg and the injections have helped 60-70%. I've been off work for 1 year and still hoping to heal and haven't had surgery. Also he should get a 2nd opinion. Anyways, I'm not a Dr. and his case may be handled different then mine but hopefully no surgery is needed. This site was given to me by one of the other members here and very informative. www.chirogeek.com. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    This is just my personal opinion ... but many of the "treatments" your BF has received are simply blind alleys .... For the record here is the place in Florida that is "the place" for endoscopic spine surgery http://www.bonati.com/ .... Acupucture has been shown to be less or little more effective than placebo .... My wife saw a chiropractor for back problem for years .... then her GYN ordered an ultrasound and found that she had a large tumor (benign) on her ovary ... removed the ovary and bingo ... no more back pain ... funny no? ... I personally have known chiropractors that claim the can cure the common cold with manipulation .... I support OMT have worked with and for D.O.'s for years ... but even they know the limitations of manipulation. I am still trying to figure out what side of the coin "chirogeek" is as he now states he is trying to get into D.O. school?

My advice .... no charge unlike "chirogeek" .... Get your BF to a good orthopedic surgeon and stop the costly blind alley run around.

There are no simple solution to complicated physical problems.

With Concern and Experience,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I had pain for 8 years and finally had my surgery the day after Christmas..I couldn't move both of my arms from the day after Labor Day and went from doctor to doctor and finally my Neurosurgeon told me it was most likely coming from my herniated disk and he did the fusion of the disks and so much relief! It was hard the first couple of weeks but now I am so glad I did it...my left arm came back right away but my right arm I did injure and now I have rotator cuff tear..I go for my MRI on Friday of this week..I do not want another surgery but so tired of not being able to use my arms like I use to..but to have the relief of the pain is so good...I was on Norco for the major pain and I am off of it for the last 3 weeks...hugs cheryl