Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Short term disability

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I am going in for back surgery next week and will be off work from 3-5 weeks, maybe longer. What are my options for making money or getting STD while im off? I dont have a special STD policy, but was wondering if my health insurance would have something like this? Do employers have to cover something like this even though its not a work injury? Any other options?

• Thanks Paulgla, i was assuming that would be the case. I go in for surgery next wed and the doc said i would need to stay home for 2 weeks. Im thinking i can use sick time from wed-friday (we dont have a specific number of sick days) and then use a couple of vacation days the following week. We are also going to try to set something up where i can work from home in bed. (i do autocad so could be a possiblity) Im also going to contact my lenders to see if i can have a month of "skip a payment" while im down. I think the credit card companies will work with me, but not sure about my mortgage company. Even if they could do half a payment would help me out alot.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    Much of this does depend on a companies policy.
    Where I work, STD, once medically approved is good for 13 weeks, then evaluated again and if approved for another 13 weeks.
    During that time, its full pay and benefits.
    After 26 weeks of STD, the policy made you apply for LTD, which was 50% per year.
    Now, this is only WITHIN a company, no state or federal rules
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Make sure that anything you work out with banks or lenders is in WRITING! I hate to be non trusting here, but, quite often someone will tell you something and then later you will find out that info is wrong or misleading. With it in writing, from a specific person at least you have something to fall back on.
    If you don't have a policy from work or one you pay for you are on the mercy of your employer. That makes it kind of scary I know. I am most fortunate as I work for a very well run institution that has EVERYTHING in writing. I could tell exactly what I was entitled to.
    Right now, I can tell I should not be here! When they do not follow the rules to the letter it has been to help me keep working! YAY!
  • I am going to try everthing i can to be back to the office the following Wednesday. I think i'll be ok if i rotate between kneeling, standing and sitting every 15 minutes or so. Maybe its not going to be possible, but im not supposed to lay in bed, so i dont see why i cant be at work. Even if i have to do half days for awhile, would be ok. Its all computer work and unless im on some kind of medication that makes me not function, i would be on my computer most of the day at home anyways. Although i dont forsee myself on pain medication after 3 or 4 days if that even, unless its unbearable. So, if i can get my credit card companies to forgive March's payment, i would save $300 or so there and would probably be fine
  • What type of surgery were you having again? Discectomy recovery time is shorter than a fusion if everything goes well. How will you make do without short term disability? I would file my income tax return for extra dough. I hope you have a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Take care
  • Some creditors may let you pay the interest only portion of your payment and defer the principal to the end of the loan. I wish you much luck as I know how tough things can be if you have to lose pay for even a short period of time. Please keep us posted on any tips that you learn. It may help others out that are facing the same thing.
  • im having a microdiscectomy
  • i will let you know what happens. If i can miss my 2 credit card payments next month, that would be helpfull. They are only like 1% interest so it would be like $10 on each saving me $180. If i did interest only on my mortgage, would only be saving roughly $75 dont get me wrong, i have money in savings, but if i can avoid tapping that it would be beneficial to me financially.
  • to you. I am not at all trying to make you nervous but I had an endoscopic microdiscectomy and was told that I would only miss 10-14 days work and that was a huge error. Of course everyone is different. I had most of my disc removed and really was not in great shape ahead of time. I have seen plenty of people that make out just fine and really are back to work in a few weeks but I always feel that it is best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
    Also, for me I could not lift, bend or twist for quite awhile post op. You will be surprised at the small things that you never really think about that do require BLT. Again, not trying to make you any more nervous than you probably already are but I was so very unprepared for what I faced post op. I know that it would have been easier if I had been prepared.
  • You should plan to get back to work later than your estimated time off, it always comes out that way. Your mind may be set on a certain time, but your body has other plans. You will experience a deep fatigue post op while your back is trying to heal. Your stamina will be very low and you'll fell extra tired and sleepy, partly from the meds too.
  • I don't know if you could try this but it worked for me. My mortgage company put two of my payments to the end of the mortgage so I did not have mortgage payments for two months which did help. It doesn't hurt to make a phone call.
  • Thanks Jan. I havent called yet, but i will when im layed up. Hey, its worth a try anyways!!
  • When I worked part time and had to be off for awhile due to a medical reason I applied for employment benefits for those weeks off. But they didn't pay for a 2 week waiting period but they paid after that. It may be different in the US as I'm in Canada. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • had the procedure done and went smoothly. I missed 4 days of work which i used 2 sick days and 2 vacation days. So i have no worries. Thanks all