Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Holistic vs Traditional Treatments

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Maintenance
I think everyone understand what is included in traditional treatments. I believe anyone that has been using all the Pain,nerve, and muscle medications for years at one time looks and hopes for a different way.

I've always figure that over 30+ years I have had taken more chemical based treatments that I do have to wonder could that be causing any long term damage?

In the 2 1/2 years I have been going for Deep Tissue Massage, The Thai 'expert' who works on me always talks about
Body Balance, a sense of Harmony to needs to be achieved without chemicals I have begun to understand and believe this more and more. This may sound so simple, but by just entering the professional building that this person works in, immediately starts to relax me with the aroma of essential oils. Then walking into his office, with a huge fish tank, Tai Meditation music and cascading desk waterfalls, I become more relaxed. Because of this, I started with Aroma therapy using essential oils, I do try nightly relaxing times listening to that music, lights off, candles on. I feel better when that is over.

So where does Holistic Medicine really fit in?
By definition:

Holistic medicine is a system of health care which fosters a cooperative relationship among all those involved, leading towards optimal attainment of the physical, mental emotional, social and spiritual aspects of health.

I know from reading so many posts here that there are several members that totally believe in this approach.

The mind is such a powerful force, can it really take over and control your pain as you did using standard medications?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I would love to hear more about the experiences of others with non-traditional approaches to pain management, etc. I had acupuncture for a foot problem many years ago and it completely took the pain away after several sessions - doctors had told me nothing could be done and I would just have to have surgery or live with the pain. Now, 12 plus years later the pain is still gone. So - I have wondered about trying it again. I know it is not so "non-traditional" now as it was then - many pain management clinics use acupuncture, meditation, massage, etc now, I think.

I am wondering if anyone has found success with acupuncture "post-fusion surgery" for the myriad of pains that crop up.

• hi! :H i lived in Kauai for almost 4 years. it is believed to be a place where holistic medicine works and there are native "doctors" there who practice several different kinds of relief.. :? anyway, while i lived there, i worked with a massage therapist and healer.. i saw her several times a week and each time she would "draw" the pain out and i would have relief from several hours to a few days.. :D she would have to take time off to relieve herself of the "negative" energy and then come back to work. i cannot tell you of the hours and days of pain relief i had there. <:P unfortunately, i have not found a "healer" here who could do such work. i so believe in holistic medicine and believe it can have a big place in our pain program.. too bad it is not covered by medi-cal so it is a cash issue for me and many others.. massage, aromatherapy, meditation and many more practices can give us pain relief! <:P Jenny :)
  • Hi there. :H The benefits of holistic medication, are many and should be considered closely, such as:

* Zero Side Effects
    * No harmful interactions with other medications
    * No prescriptions necessary to feel your benefits
    * Healthier for you
    * Feel revitalized and refreshed Cheaper

holistic medicine is an array of healing and self-help practices drawn from many cultures. The goal of holistic medicine is to facilitate the body’s natural healing processes through complementary or alternative therapies. Holistic practitioners often view themselves as teachers who educate, empower, and motivate their patients or clients to lead healthier lives, emphasizing prevention as the best cure. Holistic medicine is often used in conjunction with conventional medicine. I am really glad to hear that you loved it and you're doing it regularly. =D>

Post edited to remove URL. Solicitation on Spine-Health is not permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 04/06/09