Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Embarrassed - Leakage...

hermajestyaprilhhermajestyapril Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had my first ESI about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I've had almost 2 weeks of very low pain, but it's slowly starting to hurt again a bit.

My big issue is this - the last few days I've had ((blushing, ashamed)) anal leakage. I'm only 32. At first I thought it was an isolated incident and took some Immodium. It's happened 3 more times now and I'm getting more embarrassed and more concerned. It's not a huge amount, but the fact that there is any is a concern for me.

I read on one post in here that someone had this type of reaction with an ESI. Is that possible? I don't know why that would cause it. I'm scheduled for another one on February 5th. I enjoy the pain relief, but I dislike having to embarrassedly hand over my lightly soiled clothes to my amazing husband who does our laundry.

I don't have ANY numbness or tingling in any area - I never have. I just had extreme pain and couldn't sit at all.

Do you think this is because of my protruding disc?
Antibiotics I'm on?

Humiliated April

• I highly recommend contacting your doctor's office about it. Now.

• Please! Note a lot of us have had an episode of this with our "conditions". It can be related to ESI, meds, pinched this or that.
    Best to inform the doc so they know it is happening and can provide input.
  • Call your doc immediately. Loss of bladder or bowel control is a serious issue.

Good luck,
  • please don't be embarrassed get your self to your doctors as soon as possible
  • I am so sorry you have this problem.
    As a person who had 2 major spinal surgeries and left with a lots of nerve damages in colon, bladder, legs, feet, dropped foot i can tell you - call your DR office right now and let him/her know about it.
    This one is not a joke. It can be just temp, but it can be more serious.
    Please don't get scared, this is not my intention to scare you, but I know this related to the lumbar area nerves...

Best of luck to you, dear!
  • I am tentative to say anything, because what if they just say, "Well, April poopy pants, sounds like you need to control yourself and stop eating fatty foods". I'm afraid because I'm not having numbness/tingling/pain in the saddle area that they'll just shrug me off and then I will have embarassed myself for nothing.

Thanks so much,
  • If I were you I would call your Dr. about bowel leakage it's nothing to be embarassed about. I had urinary leakage since my ESIs but I was forewarned about that. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • you sound so childish! :-)
    Don't you worry about this; Dr knows how serious this can be. Unless you are on Alli, than you many have a problem with taking it. But if not- please do yourself a favor and call. Don't you think what they have to say, Dr will never think this way, rather than that nothing else has to worry you.
    Best of luck to you!
  • Get yourself to the ER your doctor uses now. You should not be wasting time worrying about leakage, it's something that could be serious. No one would ever think that you just do it for fun, people take this seriously. Go to the ER, and go now. You need a doctor to check you out and possibly some testing like an MRI. Leave now, go to the ER!

Please AFTER you come home and feel better, post and let us know how it turns out. Even if it turns out that it's just a problem because of the antibiotics you're on, we want to know. We care about everyone on this site and we also use each other to glean every bit of information we can. It would be so much better to go in and find out that it's just an antiboitic issue than to find out that because you delayed you end up with permanent problems!!!!!

• I have a scheduled appointment with the Pain Mgmt doctor that did the ESI on Thursday.

I am now off antibiotics for 4 days and cut out coffee for the last 3 as well (sometimes that can upset my tummy). It still happened this weekend - the worst yet...argh. I had a little bladder leakage as well this weekend. I will definitely talk to the doc.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the support. It's frustrating and really embarassing.

• The longer you put off having this checked out, the higher the risk of PERMANENT DAMAGE!

• I don't want to sound rude to you, I know you don't know me and know how blunt I am. I truly do care about your care-I've never met you, but I want the best for everyone.

Now listen to me. You can think I'm a rude witch, I don't care. This is an emergency. Either you don't understand that this is an emergency, or you just want a lot of posts for attention, or you are not so smart. I really think you just don't understand how emergent this situation is. I really don't want to put you off by my tone, but if I were your friend in person, I'd put you in my car and take you to the ER, I wouldn't care about the unlawful restraint charges!

You can be mad at me for what I said, but the truth is-THIS IS AN EMERGENCY. Please know that I wish you well, I do respect the fact that you have the right to make your own decisions, but I feel morally obligated to tell you to go to the ER now.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey April,
    I really think you should listen to Angie and the others that replied to your post. I believe they replied in your best interest. I think with Angie's experience and the others spinal issues here, including mine, when it comes to bowel and bladder symptoms, it's a serious issue. That was a very real
    pre-op to my lumbar laminectomy. I put off my cervical fusion thinking my
    tingling/numbness was from another problem. I was wrong and now have permanent nerve damage to my left arm and hand. But IMO that is not as bad
    as having permanent nerve damage that affected an area you are referring to.
    Wish you the best and hope goes all well for you!
  • I just wanted to offer some encouragement. Your issues may very well be coincidental and not related to your spine at all. I'm not a doctor, but I do have some experience with bowel and bladder issues. For me it wasn't just a small leakage issue, but rather not being able to feel the need to go, and then not being able to control it when it happened. I had to do an enema 1-3 times a day for months, but thankfully things have healed and my bowel issues are better. I would think this leakage has something to do with the sphincter not closing off all the way, but it could be something related to your diet or any number of things. The fact that you don't have numbness is a little reassuring, but you do need to let your doctor know what is going on.

Please don't let others put fear in you, but please do discuss this very openly with your doctor. There are several things that this could be, so don't let the doctor dismiss it without doing some testing. A neurogenic bowel or bladder is serious stuff. You may want to research "cauda equina" for more information.

Please let us know what the doctor says on Thursday. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I will be thinking of you and hope that things settle down for you.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I talked with the doctor and he indicated that he wasn't too worried because there was not a great deal of pain or numbness that surrounded the issue.

He said if it didn't resolve itself within a week or two, we'd do another MRI.

Thankfully, it seems to have resolved itself.
This discussion has been closed.