Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two Month Update for Two Level TLIF

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good evening, lovies!

I know it has been a while since I have posted, so I wanted to give everyone an update. First off I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to the Spine-Health forum creators for bringing us together, and to all of you wonderful people for offering support to the many in need. Without you my surgery and recovery would have been alot darker. You have enlightened me in many ways. My blessings to you all.

On to my recovery:

I think that I am doing pretty well. I am still at home, and will be until at least mid-February, possibly a bit longer. I will go to have a CT and post op check up with the NS at the end of Feb.

I am now able to walk 3-4 miles per day. I am able to do most household duties, with the exception of the things close to the ground. I use my grabber, I am like a ninja with that thing now! :) I have had to squat down to the floor about 4-5 times in the last few weeks and really would like to still avoid that.

I do tire after being on my feet for a while, and I do not realize how achy I am until I stop. Anything from 20 minutes on is grounds for an ice pack or heat wrap when I am done.

I have been able to take care of marital relations without too much difficulty. I do suggest asking your doctor for a brochure of positions, and try them out. Read the whole thing aloud with your partner.

There are still some activities and movements that cause me to click and pop. The nurse told me to avoid these movements if possible. It is the soft tissues around my instrumentation moving. So, I try to avoid that.

Most of my pain is in the lower back. I do have some hip pain. My low back pain seems to move from left to right.

I am having some tenderness and pain at the incision site as well. The bottom right incision is pretty lumpy and tender, and PT has been massaging that to try and smooth it out.

I am going to PT once a week at my request. I have started to do some very light weight training and some core strength exercises. My favorite part of the whole thing is the piriformis (muscle deep in buttocks) stretch and manipulation, and the ice or heat and e-stim. I need to find my e-stim machine...

I am still having quite a bit of strange nerve pain starting at the lower right incision in my back and going down the right buttock, outer thigh, and hip. I have increased my gabapentin dosage to 1200mgs and the pain is somewhat tolerable. Activity increases the pain. Clothes that move over the area when I walk irritate me quite a bit. Hopefully this will be gone within the year.

I still cannot get close to touching my toes. I still cannot effectively shave my own legs. I still cannot enjoy a soak in my bathtub. I am following the no BLT and do not lift more than 10 lbs when I am being a good girl.

I did stop taking my muscle relaxer last week, and so far have been doing fine with the exception of right after rigorous activity. Mainly the spasms have been staying high near the buttocks and do not travel down my legs anymore.

Mornings. No one told me about the mornings. My biggest and only real complaint about anything since the surgery is the pain I feel in the mornings. The ache of the ages has settled into my lower back and hips every morning. I dread moving at all. It takes sooooo much effort to get out of the bed. I say thank on the inhale breath and you on the exhale breath, This helps me get through the pain and start the day with gratitude although I don't feel like it immediately. Once I get up and moving the majority of the intense pain has fallen away, normally by the time I make it to the coffee pot.

Hope this gives you all some insight! I have missed you. :)

One Love,