Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has this happened to other's?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was scheduled for a surgery date- Feb 24th & I've been waiting since Dec, remaining hopeful & getting myself "ready" My surgeon proposed to do a PLIF, Lumbar Fusion, Laminectomy, Pedicle Screw Instrumentation & possible XLIF. I have spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis & scoliosis. I went to see my surgeon the other day for another surgical consultation & he informed me that he saw something on a longer film & would be necessary to do an ALIF instead of a PLIF. This would mean using cages in the front & rods & screws in the back. I also understand my flexibility will change from the waist down or below wherever the rods are placed.

I'm good at worrying about things but now, my surgeon tells me he cannot do the ALIF until I lose some weight because it may create complications. My Feb. date for surgery was cancelled & I'm feeling really disappointed. I have to see a weight management doctor when I'm done with my tests.

I have 2 herniated disks, have been in a lot of pain & was looking forward to putting this behind me & getting on with my life.

I've gained weight since I haven't been working plus I have edema (water retention) in my legs, ankles & feet. Dr.'s aren't sure where this is coming from. I'm going for a cat scan w/contrast of my abdomen & pelvis tomorrow morning. Also having bloodwork- my sugar is fine, checking my thyroid next. Also was advised to see cardiologist for the edema.

I'm writing because I need to vent & hoping someone can offer kind words.

Thank you for "listening"

• I understand how frustrasted you are and you just want to start healing. Got a friend who actually had lap band done cuz surgeon said she needed fusion but was too much of a risk because of weight.

I'm sure you get lots of diet advice, but I lost on Weight Watcher's before fusion without any exercise and it provided the weekly support group.

Maybe they can put you on a litle bit of lasix for the edema and it will help with the weight loss. Truly, tho, I think the doc has your best interest at heart. It sucks you have to wait, but it will put less stress on your fusion if you weigh less.
  • How frustrating!! I'm sure they want you to get these test results and make sure your heart/thyroid and all are OK. You certainly wouldn't want surgery if they were not. Another friend is dealing with unknown edema and it is quite frustrating - no cause found yet.

It is so hard not to gain weight when we are so restricted due to pain, no lifting, bending, twisting. UGH!!

If you have other problems going on, however, that could explain the weight gain as well. I know with thyroid issues, it is common.

Many gentle ( ( HUGS ) ),