Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks post-op, ACForaminotomy, need Info.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello again,

I wanted to update from my last post in Nov. about ADR surgery that I did not go with, I had a 2 level Anterior Cervical Foraminotomy, c5-6 for Large bone spur and c6-7 disc Herniation. Doc and Myself decided on this option. He said that my symptoms were caused by foraminal stenosis and that by cord compression was not bad enough and none of my symptoms were from the cord compression. My symptoms were unilateral left side, arm pain, index finger numbness and painful, left neck pain, also muscle weakness left arm and lats.

I am 8 weeks post-op, as surgery was done on Dec 2, 2008. I have had a lot of symptoms since surgery, Same symptoms as above plus muscle twitching. The only thing that has improved is the muscle weakness. My left arm hurts more now that before surgery! I am also experiencing sharp pain like needle sticks in both hands. What is going on? Talked to the Doc and He says he is alittle concerned, but not panicking yet. He says that the nerves are decompressed and nerve healing takes along time, ok, but what about these new symptoms!

Has anyone had this type of surgery and what was your outcome, did you have alot of nerve pain after surgery? Were you as worried as I am that the surgery did not work?

Any information is helpful,

Thanks, apbart.

• I had ACDF at c6-c7 in May of 2008. I also had numerous bone spurs ground down. My condition did not and has not improved. I had another surgery on December 9. This time posterior foraminotomy and laminectomy with major nerve decompression at c6-c7. It might not be cord compression that is causing the pain. It could be from damaged nerves. What kind of neck pain are you having? Where is it located? My arm numbness is in the left bicep and radiates into the hand. This is a secondary issue for me personally.

Like the Doc said time will tell. Be patient and manage your symptoms on a day by day basis. Control what you can control don't give up and try to stay comfortable. I can tell you this stay of the computer it will not help your neck. It kills mine.
  • ddlexis,

Thats for the reply to my post. My neck pain was left side lower neck at surgery level of c5-c7, but in the last week my neck symptoms appear to be improving, PT may be helping in that area. I still have my left arm pain and left hand ( index finger and thumb, pain and numbness) Maybe the doc was correct and after surgery for decompressing the nerves, I just have to be patient? I think when we have been in pain for a period of time, and then make a decision to have surgery to relieve that pain, I did so because I was out of patients.... Time to get more patient and let the healing begin.............Hopefully that's what will Happen.

I hope your symptoms have improved since your last surgery, on Dec, 9th.............
  • You can see the surgery I've had. I had a posterior approach to the foraminotomy to decompress nerve roots at three levels. I had pain and weakness in my left arm and hand. For the most part the pain is gone (although I do have it from time to time) but the weakness and numbness in left hand and fingers remain. Nerve damage can cause a whole host of symptoms, and it can take well over a year for regeneration to occur.

My neck is pretty well shot, so I have had neck discomfort for years, and I have learned to deal with it. I do not believe that my neck discomfort will improve.
  • I have had no improvement and one of my Doc's wants to do a third surgery. I go on wednesday to hear him out. I think I am going to do pain management and try to cope the best I can. Hang in there.