Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Few days away from 2 level (C5-7) ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello. I am posting again. I meant to post before, but I've been sick with a nasty winter cold, but am much better now, but I am playing catch-up with everything I need to do before I'm grounded for a while. I am having my ACDF surgery Monday, and although I'm still extremely nervous, I'm resigned and hopeful. Resigned to what I need to go through in order to get better, and hopeful that this surgery does what it's expected to do. I had my pre-op and was able to ask and have a lot of questions answered, and also saw my MRI pictures. The herniated disks are pressing into my spine quite a lot so I understand a bit more why I'm in so much pain all the time. I also have been told I will be in the hospital longer than many here-it will be 2-4 days, more likely 4 days, due to my stupid body's reactions to pain meds, slow recovery time, etc. My DH is going to take leave for 2 weeks or more if I need him, so I am well covered for help post-op. I'm just stressing about all the post-op pain I know is coming.....sigh. But I am determined to try to look at the positive side as much as possible. Thanks to all who care enough to read and take time to chat. I'll be in chat again, maybe tomorrow afternoon, and again as soon after my surgery as I can. Kim R.
advertisement

Comments

• please know you have support here for any questions and concerns! We are not doctors..but have "been there" and can share our experiences with you.
    Keep us posted.
    Donna
  • Just stopping by to wish you the very best of luck on Monday.
    Hopefully this will cure most of your pain or all of it.
    I only had a one level so I can't relate to a 2 level I know they are different in nature as in recovery etc.

Yes like bubblegum said don't overdo and keep up with your drs orders..

Your going to have your IM SO BORED days then I wanna sleep all day "days"

Its a different type of pain in recovery then your having now by a long shot. I had mainly a burning feeling through my neck/shoulders and in between my shoulder blades. So you will want a ton of re usuable gel filled icepacks. You can find them at any pharmacy.
    I found it more comfy to be on the couch then bed. Depends on where your bedroom is set up etc.
    Lots of pillows under your knees and arms. Your going to be log rolling so something to grab onto.

I found it easier to shower at night and live in baggie shirts and sweats or jammie pants!

I also lucked out at the time there was not much work for hubby at work so he was laid off at the time so it was a big plus.
    But for my other spinal surgeries I took care of myself. Its actually kinda nice no one bugging you etc. LoL.

Ok this is long enough.
    Lots of good vibes and thoughts going your way!!
    Terri
  • Good luck, Kim. I hope that you wake up after surgery and realize your symptoms are gone. That happened to me, so it's not a pie in the sky dream.

I hope your recovery goes well and I'm glad you have someone to help you the first couple of weeks. That really makes things much easier.

Here's to a successful surgery!!!

Cath >:D<
  • Good luck I wish a speedy recovery
  • Thanks for all your help and support-I love all the suggestions from others who have been there. I'll be back on as soon after surgery as I can, so take care all. KimR
  • We'll be here for you when you're recovering. Keep us posted on your progress. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wanted to wish you well for your surgery tommorow. The scary part is almost over, keep your head up high and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad your hubby will be there to help you in recovery at home. I was fortunate to have mine home and it made a huge difference just knowing i had the help and the company during the first two weeks. Good luck my dear and I look forward to when you return and give us an update.
    Erica
  • I wish you all the best tomorrow and I am glad that your husband will be there to help for a couple of weeks. That's the hardest part. I really didn't have major pain but it was pain non the less but my doctor was great and helped keep it under control. So know that we will all be thinking of you tomorrow. Post and let us know how it went.
  • I wanted to let you know that I am praying for you to have a quick and complete recovery. I hope your symptoms are gone like mine were after surgery.
    The hardest part, waiting for the surgery day, are almost over, now let the healing begin. I am in that waiting now for insurance approval for a two level TLIF.
    Keep us posted and we look forward to hearing from you when you are recovering.
  • i had lumbar fusion, but wish you well in your recovery. Hoping it all goes well for you and will be thinking of you tomm. Good Luck
advertisement