Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-surgery warning

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just have to post this.

Please, please, post-op folks DON'T OVER DO IT!

The reason I'm saying this is because being 3 months post-op with 2 levels fused, I really thought those days were long gone. But last night, I felt so normal, like I never even had surgery. So, I put on some music and was just dancing around all over the place, moving my head around and having a great time.

What a mistake! I'm dyin' today from what I did.

So I just want to say it again - please remember that even after 3 months, you still have to take care of yourself and that there's still a lot of healing to be done!

• I am almost 3 months post L4/L5 fusion with ADR and I feel like that sometimes. Like nothing ever happened. Then I also do something stupid like vacuum too much and clean bathrooms. Its hard to do stuff without bending too much. I know, no BLT but come on. My husband is not into cleaning anything that doesn't have a motor! He helps but is so busy at work I feel guilty for asking him for help. Your post is a good reminder to take it easy. Thanks again Cath.
  • I'll be 3 months post op in a week and I'm experiencing the same thing. Feel good, clean the house, prune a bush, pick up the cat. Pretty normal things. But the next thing I know, I'm flat on my back. I still am taking a total of 20 mgs of hydrocodone (Lortab), 5 mgs every 5 hours and I can't seem to get the place of going off of them entirely.

I still feel very stiff, esp. in the morning. Not quite to the dancing around place. But am reassured that it's not just me! Thanks for sharing your warning. And the best of luck with your continued recovery. You go, Cath! From another Kathy!
  • When we feel good, whether we are neckies or lumbar spineys, is when we're most likely to overdo it. Hope you feel better soon. I responded to your post because I think it deserves to be booted up to the top!!!! We all need to remember this!
  • Haglandc has a crown that we pass around. The only qualifications you need to have are for going against doctors orders and doing more than you should so that you end up with unnecessary pain. Up to this point I have been the recipient of this wonderful award however today I get to pass my crown on to you since all I did was push a shopping cart. You however did the dancing :D . Glad you felt well enough to dance and I hope this pain is very short lived. Take it easy for a while. Promise?
  • Sometimes I think that a day of dancing is worth the price we have to pay...

• You are right about the dancing Griff, but there better be a pole included. I need something to hold onto.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • Ok, "C", I'll accept the crown - for now! But I'll be looking for the next person that deserves to wear it.

And yes, I promise, I'll take it easy.

• Pole dancing? Hmmmmm? I'm getting all kinds of mental images here? But, on the other hand, I'm like you! I'd HAVE to have a pole or rail or something if I even thought about dancing. So maybe we invent a new dance craze just for spineys! Fully clothed, hanging on for dear life, trying to do a few "barely" kicks (maybe I should just try shaking my foot) pole dancing. I do think we should add a rail so we can move a little to one side or the other! Not exotic but certainly interesting. Just picture it! :jawdrop:
  • women answered your post? Because we are nuts! We have to clean, we have to cook and be a wonder woman! Even if we have to pay with pain after all, we still do it next time!

I am one year after my last surgery, leaving with CP, taking a lots of Pain medication, have a lots of damages after my surgeries and facing more soon - I still do it to myself!
    Than, when I lay with a lots of pain and can't get up I ask myself what is wrong with my head?
    I think that first of all we love our house to be clean; we love to surprise our loved once with nice dinners, and we need to do something to feel good about accomplishments, aren't we?

Well, I was told after my first surgery by my surgeon: make sure NO BLT (bending, lifting, twisting) forever.
    I try not to be good, I don't dance (only because my body doesn't let me) I wish I could though! LOL

Feel better and all the best!
  • Hi everyone,

I have it rough. Two weeks ago I push some snow. I'm 3.5 months post op. I felt good, pushed some snow, went to work. I came home and felt a burning in my back. I think the twisting did it to me. The pain started to pick up down my leg. I took it easy for 3 days. Went to work. You see, I drive for a living, and went to work three days and felt the pain in my back worsen. I kept on getting kicked around by the neuro office. They referred me to a physiatrist. Noone gave me any answers, just more medication. My pain even hit the great toe. I had an MRI, nothing was different. Thank God. What do I do now? Get a another opinion from another neuro? Do I go back out on Disability? Do I need more time to heal? Any thoughts?