Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 months post-op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It has been 8 months post-op from my 5 level fusion L1-S1 with rods and screws. I had hoped to give a great report. My R leg which was really bad is wonderful except for numbness on the front of the leg and 2 toes. But since I came out of surgery my good L leg has been terrible. Lots of numbness, the whole leg often drags, severe spasms in my foot and the pain over the area where bone was taken is constant.
My Dr. keeps telling me to be patient that nerves take time to heal. I know that is true. But I now am unable to walk as far as I did before surgery. My balance is very bad and often I am unable to tell where I have placed my left foot.
I have great difficulty standing up straight. Before surgery I bent towards the left side due to scoliosis. But now I can not straighten my back and am leaning not only to the left but to the front. I am 63 and the surgery was very long and recovery was difficult and slow. I don't think I have it in me to go through another surgery, but the thought of living this way is very distressing. Any comments or idea would be appreciated.

• Has your surgeon ordered another MRI, to see what is going on in there?
    And have you thought about getting a second opinion?

It IS difficult to be patient, I am only one week out and of course freaking out about every new little ache / pain / sensation, the what-ifs and whatnot. Half of Walgreens is on my kitchen table and unfortunately there is no valium in the mix! (That was a joke). :))) Seriously, I think everyone here understands the anxiety of "waiting it out" and at what point do you say "enough, something isn't right"?

IMHO - the pain, you can work with. The numbness - red alert. Just my 2 cents, please take it as such.