Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member-Undecided about surgical procedure Dr. suggested

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone
Ive visited this site several times and decided to join today. I sure can relate to many of you,but can not imagine the pain some of you experience. Im 44 and started experiencing back problems 4 years ago. The old saying about turning 40 certainly has some truth behind it. I was a home health nurse then changed occupations due to back pain and now I sit all day which is almost as bad. I have a ruptured disc @ L4-5, narrowing of the Foraman @ L5-s1 and levoscoliosis. After PT,epidural injections and chiropratic care, the pain continued to get worse. Ive been to several neurosurgeons and an orthopedic but was told I need a myelogram to confirm nerve problem. I finally got one last week and hope to never get another. The Doc suggested surgery to insert the Dynamic Stabilization System but Anthem denied coverage. Docs second option is to leave the disc and remove the bulging gel that is coming out and pushing on my nerve.Im not sure what to as I have not heard of this procedure and am wondering if it would be worth it. I dont know what the procedure is called but would appreciate any input. Thanks

• Welcome to SH. I'm not sure what is the Dynamic Stabilization SYstem, but I had a microdiscectomy for a herniation at L4-5 and L5-S1. Here is a link that covers dynamic stabilization system http:www.zimmer.com
    You can also look under Back Surgery Center here at Spine Health for a completed description and video of a microdiscectomy.

I had to have a ct/myelogram to confirm nerve impingement too, and it wasn't my cup of tea. At least it cleared any remaining doubt and my surgeon was ready to operate. I know all about L4-S1 back pain and sciatica. Even after the 2 level fusion I had, it still hurts to sit and I'm only comfortable laying down or reclining.

I think the reason why your insurance denied the dynamic system is because microdiscectomy is the usual surgical procedure. Talk to your doctor and ask him specifically why he prefers the latter. Maybe he can convince Anthem to approve his first option. Whatever happens, the nerve has to be decompressed to avoid permanent damage. I hope things work out for you in a timely manner so that you can feel better again.
  • Welcome to Spine health, Yellowrose!

I am sorry that you have already ran into a wall, namely your insurance company. But don't give up yet, find all everything about the procedure your doctor's suggested. I am afraid I don't know much about it, but maybe some people here do.

I hope you will find some relief. I wish you the best,

• Appreciate your reply. It sounds like the Microdiscectomy is what my Doctor is proposing for me .How was your experience after your discectomy? Did it take a long time to get back to your daily activities. Im sorry you still have pain from the fusion. Just the word fusion sounds painful. My Doc thought the Dynesys stabilizor would have been a better option for me as you still have flexion and extension with this device unlike fusion. But like I mentioned Anthem will not cover at this point. Doc appealed their decision but it did no good. I will probably agree to the discectomy as I need something done and soon. My current employer may not be around in a couple of months and then I will have no insurance.
    Thank you for your reply, I hope that something can be done for you so you can sit up without pain.