Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op I lost feeling

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On my bikini line for about 4 inches long and 2 wide on both legs .My surgery was the 20th Has this happened to anyone else/I had adr l3-l4 prodisk anterior approach thanks

• Hi Lisa, some numbness after surgery is usually normal. They've messed with your nerves during surgery and it will take time for it to go away. How did your surgery go othewise? How are your legs feeling?
    Keep Hope
    Faith M
  • was numb and remains weird.
    I don't like touching it.
    I get groin pain, like a knife.

I would run that past your surgeon. Call them
  • Hi Lisa. Good to hear from you! Other than numbness, how are u doing? How did the surgery go?

As far as numbness is concerned, I learned very quickly that any feelings I had early after surgery (and I had lots of numbness and leg/foot pain) were more often than not temporary. My foot and leg pain continued on for weeks but now it is going away. I still have funny, nerve-type symptoms that come and go. And I still have occasional numbness in my pelvic region but that seems to be going away, too.

Much of what you will go thru depends on the severity of your nerve issues before surgery. And from what I've been told, it will take us a full year to 2 years for our nerves to repair themselves. In my case, I may end up with some permanent damage but at least I can walk! I've also read that numbness is not so much a cause for concern as weakness. But I still have slight weakness from time to time in my left leg, so who knows?

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to call my doc if I were really concerned. As we say on this forum, "that's what he/she is getting the big bucks for" and if you are particularly concerned, make a call. If it eases your mind then it is well worth it!

Keep us up-to-date. Good luck with your recovery. Aren't you glad the worst is behind you? And it really is. :*
  • Congrats on getting through surgery and I'm glad you're recovering. It's a long road, but just put one foot in front of the other and you'll reach your goal.

I just wanted to say welcome back. Whew, nice to have the surgery overwith!

Cath >:D<
  • Keep in mind that you have had a BIG surgery and it will take time for your body to recover. Some of the "new" aches and pains, and even numbness are the result of the surgical process. You are placed in what only can be called "weird positions" on the operating table. As careful as they are to pad where you are positioned, sometimes you wake up to new problems. Also, the surgery itself is like a big carpentry project...even the tools look the same...a drill, a saw, something to attach screws, etc. There really is a lot of trauma involved, including some pulling and stretching to get to where they can operate.

Also, don't panic if things don't clear up soon. This healing is a LONG process and requires a great deal of PATIENCE. ;))
  • Wellwell tomoorrow I will be 4 months post op.I still have pain in my back it is caused by bending mainly and twisting.I wake up each night with back pain.My work comp denied the physical therapy.I have no idea why they would do that.I am still numb left bikini line has not gained any feeling back at all.My left leg pain is gone.thank god.Pre surgery my left leg pain was horrible and this has been fixed.I am not really sure why I still have the back pain though. Thanks for all replies....