Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone get a strange taste in your mouth during flare?

candle99ccandle99 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Fibromyalgia
I haven't been diagnosed with fibro, but wondering if I have it. I keep having a few days here and there when I feel like I have the flu, muscle aches all over, particularly my chest and arms and just lots of fatigue. I've had mouth ulcers sometimes and sometimes a low grade fever. Seems to never be the same everytime, except for the flu feeling. I've had two back surgeries this past year, one in July and one in December, but all of my symptoms started several years ago. Just seems like this year, it's been more frequent and worse.

I've noticed that everytime I feel the flare, I get a strange taste in my mouth during the worst days where nothing really gets rid of it. It's sorta a metallic taste, but not exactly. Just wondering if anyone else has had this symptom????

• You sound like you have symptoms of fibro but I don't think I've ever had that taste when I have a flare-up. I've had that taste when I've taken Biaxin.

I'd call your dentist and make sure you don't have an infection!
  • I do happen to have phantom scents during a flare up but not phantom tastes.
  • I get a strange taste in my mouth at times, but there is no rhyme or reason. If you google "metallic taste in mouth causes", there are all kinds of things listed.
  • It seems like I can taste chemicals from a plastic water bottle or aluminum if I drink from a can. When are you getting this metallic taste? Is it with everything you drink?
  • hi i do get the taste from time to time,i have,nt really noticed if its during a flare up but its not nice. fibro,sciatica,copd,cervical spondi,lichen schlrosis,carpel tunnel in both wrists,awaiting mri

• I have had pain in spine and neck all and aches in muscles. Negative lesions on CT, but no mri, I am 32 yrs old and was in perfect health before this. I noticed metal taste months before symptoms and I get it when I get the worst flare ups. The taste is similar to when you take a SSRI, I am researching heavily and believe it is caused by imbalance of chemicals from my experience of this. Glad to see someone else experiences the same
  • Sometimes a 'metallic' taste (like copper - sucking on a penny) can mean a spinal fluid issue. If you've not had surgery, other indicators could be going on there. Have you mentioned to your doctor this "taste" you get?

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Melisa

I have fibro and I do sometimes get that metallic taste but I have always put it down to side effect of meds. Seems worse if I dont eat much that day but have still had all my meds.
    Sorry to hear your feeling a bit crap ! Join the club. Im in the middle of a big flare up at the moment, I reckon the weather hasa lot to do with it at the moment.

Take care.

Gentle Hugs

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc
  • Entire Post Deleted. Solicitation at Spine-Health is never permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 07/21/11
  • I have not been diagnosed with fibro but I have been having that strange taste too. I've been telling my husband and we thought it was my meds also. Mine comes & goes but I have it all times of the day. Weird.
  • I have this taste in my mouth especially when nerves are being pinched and my hands and arms become more painful. The parasthesiia becomes worse and is vey painful. The taste makes me feel sick and makes me burp more. ( gastroscopy clear). My GP is not clear on the cause of the taste. I am terrified and am imagining that the stenosis is spreading to all areas of my body.
    Ann Strafford
This discussion has been closed.