Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Obtaining Pain Treatment

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Management
I have had serious issues with pain management doctors and my age. However, my neurologist, orthopedic surgeon, and GP have all told me I need treatment. Generally they look at me, and say something along the lines of "I will not treat a 22 year old".

My surgeon was prescribing me oxycontin and oxycodone for BTP, but he had to send me somewhere else for pain treatment. The people there refused to even taper me off. And I ended up quite sick due to being dropped off the medication.

I'm still in pain but DO NOT want pain meds. I want someone who will work with me and find a way to make my body a little more useful again. I seem to get pushed out the door like the plague before I've even said two words. Why are these people sending me away?

Has anyone else had problems like this?

• with a bad back. i've had a back injury since I was 25. My docs were really hesitant to give me meds, then they were hesitant to give me pain management. I had to jump through lots of hoops and they finally got me PM. My PM docs have been great and don't care about my age, they just care about making me pain free.

I totally understand how you feel- it sucks being young and having that discrimination just because of your age... its like you have to suffer more to prove you're injured.
  • Why don't you ask for another med from your Primary Dr. I'm on MS Contin and I have no nausea at all. If your PCP is not helping you you need another Dr. Perhaps your Neurologist and Ortho can refer you to a pain clinic where you can get some injections to decrease your pain. If you're in pain you need to take the meds or you won't be able to stand the pain,tingling numbness? I'm not sure of your condition but you need something. I can't understand that pain clinic at all but there are others who believe in you and wanting to help you. I know that people out there don't just look at your age but your condition. I hope you get some relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Old or young we all hang from the string they hold.
    One will believe and help. One will say, "oh we have to be careful"... I expect you have found that one.
    As for finding help outside of narcotics and meds. That can be rough to do in some areas. I live in a Univeristy town, has two hospitals and a med school. Yet try and find a pain management place that is worthwhile? We have one local, injections only. AND I MEAN ONLY! They will tell you to call someone else for pain meds even if they did an injection that causes the pain to get worse! I'd advise to stay away from those type PM centers if you can.
    You have to try and locate people that will help from the point of view you want. You want to try and stay away from narcotics. I don't blame you, I have tried and failed.
    Do not give up on you. There is always someone to help. You just have to find that person. My doctor believes me, but constantly has me begging for a months supply of meds.
    I have a SCS trial coming up, soon I hope. I so hope that it works! To top it off I caught a cold at the Doctors office yesterday. Sneezed a while ago, now my back is on fire. Ain't life grand :)
  • Yes, a lot of young adults, even older teenagers with severe back problems can run into a brick wall when it comes to pain management. Many doctors think they are too young to have back pain and feel paranoid about prescribing narcotics to them. Spine problems don't discriminate and I believe people should be treated for it regardless of age. You should keep looking for a doctor with an open mind willing to provide treatment. The first stop should be your primary care doctor because he knows you best, and can step in when other doctors won't. What spinal problems do you have, and have you been operated for it?