Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What have YOU achieved today.

JohnJJohn Posts: 964
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Good News
What have YOU achieved today.

As pain and time progress we measure our achievement by some of the activities we cannot do rather than what we can, I thought we could share in the small things that we do every day that go unnoticed and sometimes take such effort.

• Read a book.
    Made a tossed salad.
    Took lots of pills.
    That's it.
    Having a bad day!
  • Hi John.

Well,It's early here.Not 6 am yet,but I've packed up my 2nd bathroom (we're moving Feb 4th) and washed a couple loads of laundry.

The day is young.
  • Peter,
    What is the book, anything good, even in having a worse day that reading does help, we should have a book club, takes your mind off the day you have ahead and distraction does help, have the pills helped, R & R for you today then, we are all here to help and more so on bad days. Post soon and hope your strategy helps.

• Hi John. I'm reading 'If This is a Man,' one mans story of his time in a German slave/ death camp in WW11.
    Not harrowing, and well written.
  • I saw the surgeon today and all is well. My 360 fusion and ADR is progressing well so off to work I go. That's enough for one day isn't it?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    is that I am so fortunate to enjoy another day!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Good for you Pika =D>

I'm glad to see somebody optimistic and progressing.I think the two go hand-in-hand ;))
  • Well said Ron

I know you as many other have had lifetime of pain and through it all your positive attitude has helped get you and others get through, and that in itself did not happen overnight, we see the experience of others and smile in the knowledge that we too had that experience and could have done with some help and support., (where were you then )

That next day outlook, is a team approach and a state of mind and some acceptance of your plight and the good things we now all see is a balance and we are all helping others help themselves, we all wish everyone less pain and this is not always possible and more of a desire than reality, pain mandates change, our inverted lives make simple things harder.

So come on gang, celebrate your achievements we can all be positive.

Thanks John
  • I start every morning off the same. While laying in bed I do a few gentle stretches so I can get up. I also say thank on the inhalation of breath and you on the exhalation several times before getting out of the bed. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This makes a HUGE difference in how I feel each morning.

So, I did that. I picked up some laundry, made a cup of coffee, spent a few minutes in affirmative prayer/meditation. (maybe 5 minutes) Spot mopped the kitchen floor, and am now spending time with you while waiting on the plumber to arrive to install my new dishwasher. (Yayyyyyy!) It is 8:17am est

One Love,

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    this post and almost every post you make. You are one member that does not just make a simple post. What you say has meaning and its always something for the readers to think about.
    You understand pain, for yourself and for others.

Spine-Health is a better site having you make the contributions you do
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • This is a wonderful post - thank you.

And Stephanie, I love the "thank" and "you" as you exhale and inhale. What a positive way to start the day!

What did I do today -
    - Got up early and called the plumber about a hot water heater problem;
    - Went to Barnes and Noble with my houseguest (stood way too long but loved just browsing);
    - A bit of grocery shopping;
    - Visited a neighbor briefly;
    - Did 2 loads of laundry and cleaned up the kitchen.

Not as much activity as yesterday or the day before but much more than 3 months ago!

• I went to the grocery store for the 1st time in 5 weeks. My wonderful husband has been doing the shopping while I recover from C4/5 fusion. My son is also wonderful, he has pushed my grocery cart for me for YEARS. He is at the age (16) where most kids don't want to hang out with thier parents, let alone push mom's grocery cart! I am so thankful for both of them.
    Keep Hope, Faith M
  • So far, I've done waaaay more than I should. But I am happy just being here to do it.

I just wish I could set my priorities better (to me, EVERYTHING is priority), delegate more (I'd never ask someone to do anything I would not be willing to do myself), expect less of myself (I am my WORST critic) and learn to RELAX...

Along the same lines as Stephanie, John and Ron - each day I wake up in pain is a good day - because I have been granted yet another day - hopefully I'll make it count and be satisfied with my accomplishments.

Take care buds!

• I'm 7 weeks now from my SCS (spinal cord stimulator) permanent placement, and each day just gets better and better.

Today, I did some laundry, cleaned house a bit, was on my hands and knees for a while dealing with dogs, cooked dinner, had to go outside and deal with the pool pump (using my gripper). None of those things could have been done 2 months ago.

I am getting stronger and stronger, and with the SCS blocking the majority of my nerve pain, the sky is the limit!! So excited!!!!! Oh, and just got back from a 9 day vacation that had a 9 hour car trip one way, and I survived fine!!! Woo Hoo!!

Thanks for the question - so helpful to think positively.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey John and friends,

Lets start with being able to view these posts before I head out the door in the morning. Being able to walk on my own, drive my truck, turn the key to unlock the door. Then hit the ground running at work still able to hold on to my tools repairing cars and trucks even though I drop things quite often now.
    Put in my 12 plus hours and head home to get a few other jobs done if time permits. Like Jeaux said, "every day I wake up in pain is a good day", and I'll add that some days are just better than others.
    Good post John, you all take care and be safe!
  • I got an Avatar to work!
    Seems silly, but wrestling around in vista land trying to decipher what program will do this is not the easiest thing to accomplish! Least not for me anyway ~X(
  • My disabled son went for his first job today and I was so proud, he does things that even I would be resilient from divulging and explained his disability in a constructive manner. He is still at college so his realistic chances were limited but you have to admire his gusto.

• Zach

I like the way you say you will have a good day tomorrow and it has not arrived yet, that is the route to being able to cope whatever the day brings, so is it better. We all need that attitude to be ready for what may happen and envisaged that we can and will overcome it. Past experience is a great measure of our ability to cope with what may come our way, the fear of change becomes less. Weaning off medication is never easy and shows how far you have progressed and good luck to you.

• I am proud as can be of your son for showing the world he has moxy and really is only as limited as people make him. The fact he handles himself so well (with explaining his disability for instance) is a huge testament to the upbringing and loving environment in which he was surely raised. (... sometimes, people's backwoods opinions are as much a disability as some real and physical disabilities. That didn't come out right, but I know what I mean).

Zach - "Tomorrow Will Be Better" is now my mantra... :-)

• hi

I am 5 weeks post op for a T10 disc removal, (chest surgery, one rib missing, one cage added)

today I had a follow up xray, and the xray is looking good, no major probs, dont know what they are looking for, but i am wearing a stabilising corset so i guess a kyphosis.

anyway, i have been having vertigo since discharge but it has been settling down a little, and today i climbed up the stairs alone and had a shower alone. before today the other half was having to monitor my every move in case i went all wobbly again.

on discharge i was told to stay inactive for 6 weeks, only moving between a bed and a chair, today i was told i can start mobilising and walking next week.

happy days :)

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Ive got up and did the regular routine. While suffering a pain spike that can't be figured out by me. My wife says I pushed the walking to much. She may be right.
    We went into the therapeutic Jacuzzi and just talked. She has ongoing shoulder issues and is experiencing a tremendous amount of pain. I'm trying to just be supportive as she has been for me. she is my "rock"
    We went for my walk, which killed me. But at leased I was able to do a abbreviated walk.
    Oh, and before that I took our Yorkies out to do their duties. And one of them got it stuck all over his rear. So I gave him a bath so Patti (my wife) wouldn't have to. YUCK!
    It's only 2:15 p.m. here so now I'm just trying to enjoy this beautiful day here in the mountains. And after reading these posts, I'm feeling grateful.
    wrambler, I,m to frustrated every time I try to figure out how to do an avatar on my vista. Got any tips?
    John, great post, as usual.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • hi guys,

small steps i know, but after tackling the stairs the other day, today i had a walk with keith around the block, its a very short walk, but a walk it was! :O)

keith had the dogs lead though, as he is a 80lb boxer!

• Avatar in vista, only way I found was to go into the trial version of office 2007 and it let me resize it. It took me forever to sort it out.

I need one of those bleeping toddlers they show on tv to come do it for me!

I'm not sure how long it would take me to do another, so I'm not going to!
  • Yes, on friday, the 13th, I washed my car, first time in six months and am happy to report didn't pay for it the next day. Small things.....made me sooooo happy! And on Sunday, planted some flowers, another thing I haven't been able to do in many months -- felt wonderful! God Bless!
  • John, I just read this post. Did your son get the job? If not, he's prepared for the next interview!! He is one amazing young man.

• I had my surgery two weeks ago and today I hit the treadmill (at a very low speed) for the first time and I made a pot of homemade soup.
    It's an old hungarian recipe for Beef/cabbage soup. I serve it with spaetzle which I hope I'm up to making the dough for later. :)

If I gotta sit in this house for 12 weeks recovering, cooking makes feel good.
  • My goal after surgery was to be able to race my bike again.... Today that goal was achieved!!! 1 year, 1 month, 8 days later! Today was a good day!!!
  • If you don't mind me asking what kind of surgery did you have?
    Today I went for a walk around the block feeling better after having my 5th epidural and facet joint injections for the 3rd time.
    I got on the bus and went to my Mother's place and saw my Mother and brother and Mother's friend(male)
    Fed my miracle cat who I found half dead on my doorstep yesterday and he drank 2-1/2 bowls of water and lots of catfood.
    John I'm glad your son got his first job. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • For my SCS implant! May 4th.

Now that is an achievement! bleepin HMOs anyway :D
  • In a former life I was an A.S.E. Master technicion for 7 years or so. Today I helped my oldes son replace the alternator on his 98 Nissan Altima. The patient (car) survived fine and now runs without a horrible whining sound eminating from under the hood. The mechanic (me) has a sore back, nerve issues that left me feeling like my back was wrapped in ice for about 10-20 minutes (new one for me?). Then a return to "normal" pain, but HEY, I DID IT and it WORKS!

I also attended my youngest sons highschool varsity Lacrosse game. They were outmatched but played well, got some scores in and never lost their cool! I think he gets it from me =)) Or maybe his mom, who puts up with me 8}