Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you worry ?

JohnJJohn Posts: 964
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Depression and Coping
How do you worry?

It is only natural that change and imposition, and the future itself with pain are difficult notions to accept of endure as the perception of our what may happen plays in our heads. Every procedure is greeted with the same expectation of hope and some improvement and we embrace disappointment through gritted teeth and look towards the next path of light.

Even when our condition itself mandates some surgical intervention that greener pasture is always in our thoughts if not the reality. As time goes by that realism of having to adapt takes precedence over what we thought the outcome would be and as a community that hope never fades and we all strive for some improvement. It is natural to worry and part of the evaluation process, where that threshold of continuing concern develops into depression differ for us all, as most believe that chronic pain and depression itself are inexorably linked.

Time has taught me to worry incrementally and address each element separately and face the imminent challenge before worrying about the next one, this is never easy, and I could see that the loss of my employment was an option in the future and attempting to keep that thought of just today that did become reality, understandably difficult.

My most recent reading looked at the concept of catastrophising, where we leap that middle order of incremental worry and go for the worst option possible and see that as the next logical step. Most of this is how we think and not reality, even if it were an option we need to adapt to the ideal that although one thing has not worked we must look for another with the same hope and enthusiasm or falter.

We as many, have progressive and continual disappointment and need to show that strength that we have and use every day to get through, we all do a good job and should acknowledge that to ourselves.

Take care and good luck John

• I like the term catastrophising. I used to, something happened along the way and i stopped jumping to the worst possible conclusion first,then working outward from there, Putting myself at a disadvantage from the start wasnt very wise..so

I stopped,and decided to constructively worry, that is the pressure and stress made me more proactive in preventing what could worsen.

catastrophic pain imposition happens, to us and everyone else, but we are wonderfully able to survive if you want to, deciding to want to, survive that is..and then deciding to fight.

All i could do was to let it happen, all of it,then the worst does,and being internaly built and trained by time and environment to survive, i just let it go.

I cant stop the onrushing train, the pain is going to happen the sadness following the helplesness will try to devestate and deprive me of all feelings left,

I decided to hang on to that last vestige of humanity,
    that infernal spark that will not let me give up or in..

who decided there was some arbitrary line that once crossed you could never come back from...
    dont fear whats not there, dont fear what is there, fear the lies of the imagination
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• i know most things that will cause me to worry!! :W lack of money, fear of growing old, increased pain... the list goes on.. by identifying these things and playing out in my head the possible scenarios i feel alot better.. once the scenarios are looked at and either discarded as not valid or looked at further because they are real, i have a system to deal with worry. =D> if my actions cause my stomach to hurt i know i have done something i should not have and up goes the worry sign.. unless we deal with our worries and work them out in our head, they will remain a constant visitor and that is no way to lead a healthy, happy life!! worrying causes us to be negative towards others and unhappy with ourselves!! worrying is a good way to spur positive action! :D Jenny :)