Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

stinger66sstinger66 Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
45 year old male who just had L3-4 L4-5 fusion 9/25/08. things were going pretty well up until I started physical therapy 12/22/08. We started doing light stretches then my pain flared up & I have been in terrible pain since. I am on roxicodone 15 mg every 4-6 hours, neurontin 300 mg 4 times a day. tried three different muscle relaxers & the side effects are too much. I cannot do anything at all. The pain is unbearable. I have had two sets of epidural injections under the xray & they have done nothing. I feel like my doc is getting an attitude because I am not a success at this point. I hate taking meds as I don't do well on any. I went in for another mri the other day & I see the doc this Monday. I have not worked since 8/29/08 & I wonder if I will ever be able to again? This is what I am dealing with. I am married to a wonderful woman who has two daughters 10 & 12. I have two grown sons from my first wife who died of Septic shock at the age of 31. Hope everyone can become pain free.

• I am sorry your feeling so terrible, Hopefully your MRI shows something else as to why your experiencing more Pain. I understand how Drs. can make you feel, sometimes they act like they know everything or that they've tried everything for you. Sometimes it's best to find a new Dr. or to just bear with them & take it one day at a time. Take Vitamins too Some are good for inflammation and joints. I take Glucosome, Fish Oil, Flaxseed Oil, for inflammation & Joints. These Really work better than meds in the long run and not the bad side effects. Drs. don't talk much about Vitamins,
    My Rheumatologist prescribed Relafin this has helped me with the inflammation 2xday, The Muscle Relaxer Baclofen,, causes me to have bad dreams. So before bed when it's real bad I take Flexeril, Makes me so sleepy and comfortable.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are suffering so. ~X( this needs to be taken up with a doctor or even the ER when your pain gets that bad!! there are some natural supplements for sleep such as Valerian and melatonin and magnesium. I) you might try these if you are having trouble with medications. good luck as you search for pain relief! :D Jenny :)
  • I'm sorry you're having a hard time with this pain. You have been through so much and my heartfelt condolences go out to you about your first wife.

I have had the same problems with ESI's, they didn't help me and the last one I had made me feel worse. This happens a lot so your doctor should be more understanding of this. When I went back to follow up with my surgeon after my fusion, I wanted to run the other way than to say to him I don't feel better, what now? I felt like a failure esp. when I was told there was nothing else to be done and I should just go to pain mgt. Despite all this, we mustn't give up. See what the MRI says next week and then proceed from there. If one doctor won't do anything, get another opinion. I hope things work out for you and you get to have pain free days soon. Take care
  • Sorry you are here with so much pain. I had a similar experience with physical therapy and have not gone for more. My 3rd doctor, my first neurosurgeon, actually isn't a fan of back patients and PT. Says they can push us TOO hard, and I agree with that!

I hope your MRI gives your doc some clear direction on your problem(s). Have you had a 2nd opinion? If your wiggle nerve tells you this doc isn't the best, be sure to check another one (or 2 or 3) until you find a doctor you are happy with. They are all so different. Finding a technically excellent doctor is the best, although I wish they all could have better beside manner!!

I'm glad you have such a great support system at home. It makes such a difference in our coping.

Welcome to Spine Health and keep us posted after you appointment on Monday!!

• Sorry everyone I forgot to mention that I have also had severe left foot pain since injuring my back in 2001. I did not know that my foot pain was from my back & saw many foot docs trying to get it figured out. Went through numerous tests, shots, exams & the last doc said I had tarsal tunnel syndrome. I was in so much pain that I agreed to the surgery. All that done was make things worse. Now I know after the MRI that the nerve was pinched due to the ruptured disc. So now even after the L3-4 & L4-5 fusion september 25, 2008 I am still dealing with all this pain. Nice I went through a needless foot surgery. RRRRR

Norm ( stinger)