Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

T4- S1 fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello all i am now a little over 3 weeks out of T4-S1 fusion with pedacal screws from S1 to pelvic bones. my problem is the extreme pain. this is my 3rd surgery 1st was 21 years ago for unstable burst of l1 then in oct 2007 had severe stenosis and arhtritis below original fusion, so had a L3 to S1 fusion to repair. after a year pain was worse saw another neuro, he said S1 screws had migrataed and L5 screws loose, l5 and s1 fusion failure. i also had stated to develop scoliysis in upper back. so endured a 12 hour redue surgery, removed old harrington rods, removed and repaired l5 - s1 hardware and straighten spine so shoulders were aligned with hips and toes. i am now in the most horrific pain ever a am prescribed 130 mg. morphine sulphite 3x a day ans 30 mg oxycodone every 3 hours. well has anyone ever had something this severe done to them. he cut every muscle in my back and i feel ike it. he also said the first 3 months would be a living hell. would like to talk to someone who as gone through this

• My God, all the pain you have been enduring! My heart goes out for you. The T4-S1 fusion sounds like a huge surgery, mine was L3-S1, and even that was enough. So I am sorry if I cannot share similar experiences with you, just send you my good wishes. Hang on there, make sure you get relief from pain as much as possible and take care of yourself. You are in my thoughts.

Best wishes,

• Wow, that is some surgery! My surgeon said my L4-5 fusion is one of the most painful operations he does. Multiply that by, what 13? or 14? Crazy! I am so sorry you are having to go through so much. You are so early out. It is going to take a long,long time to recover. Try to be patient, and come here often. It is a great place to go to help get through recovery. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • My goodness, I am so sorry for the extreme pain you are suffering. I can't imagine what you have been through, including the Harrington rods and such. Your back must be so inflamed and irritated/unhappy right now. And then stress makes our pain intensify.

I do hope your doctors can find a way to relief your suffering.

( (HUGS) )

• you are going through this. Your post brought tears to my eyes since I still remember my post-op recovery.
    I also had one of most severe spinal surgeries and during 10 hour surgeries was done a lot of work. Honestly, i was in severe pain for month and month. I remember 6 month after surgery I asked my DR how come I am still in so much pain. His answer was: "You need good 2 years to recover after surgery like this, so 6 month after too early to expect much".

I had a lots of nerve damage (they permanent unfortunately)and even dropped foot. I was told to use walker for 6 month and only after 6 month I could use a cane. 8 month of PT. 3 years after my first surgery and 1 year after the second one I am facing more spinal surgeries to fix upper levels now.

This is never easy, sweet heart. My heart goes out to you, but you have a long way to go in your recovery. I wish you all the best.
    Stay positive and hopefully by summer you will be able to walk and enjoy beautiful weather!