Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and Scary Things

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi everyone! Haven't been here in a while to read....but I have something I new going on.

I have radiculopathy from a L4 L5 bulge. I was diagnosed in 05 when I started wearing a duty belt as a cop. Apparently 30lbs around your waist, sitting and standing for long periods, and having items on the back of your belt in a carseat are not good!

I had terrible pain thru my right buttock, hip, down the outside of my leg, the front of my calf and top of my foot. I was referred to spine and pain dr who is great! I had 4 epidural steroid/pain injections from March 05 to January 07. Along with some changes in duty belt and footwear I have had only minor issues, usually when I do something I know better than to do! But it never is as unbearable or lasts more than 2-3 days.

I lost normal curvature of my cervical spine from a car accident when I was 19 so I always have a great chiropractor and massage therapist! I have some radiculopathy with that and my denial of a bone spur in my shoulder!

My leg/foot pain has always started from my buttock and radiated down to the foot. I have occasional spasms where my belt rides when I don't do the right things to prevent! My last injection was January 2007 and I don't miss it!

In June of 08 I had a motorcycle wreck that I thought would be bad for my back. Never did that problem arise and I was glad.

I have had some neck issues for the last week or so, I'm confident stemming from stress and sitting at a desk to read/study/write for promotion exams. I went to work Thursday evening and it was a crazy night where I ended up at work from 6pn thursday til 2:30pm Friday. When I got home I took off my boots and noticed the area from the nailbes of my right big toe down the bone to about my arch felt like it had been given a novicane shot. Not completely numb but serious dulled sensations.

Initiall I thought it was the longjohns being pressed by the boots on my ankle. But it continued. When I woke up today, it is still that way only a larger area. Almost my whole big toe, back along the bone wrapping to the inside of my foot at the arch and to my ankle. But I have no pain!

Occasionally as I move I will feel a strange sensation that continues up my shin for a second. When I massage that line of nerves stemming from L4 L5, it makes the numb area tingle.

There is no pain associated with this at all. Just tingling or that novicaine feeling. And it starts from the end instead of the source at my spine. I have never had anything like this!

I don't know if I should be worried, scared, panicked or patient. There is a spot on the front of my ankle that when I run my finger over it it stimulates the nerve to my toe with a tingly sensation but still no pain.

Any thoughts? I don't want to take NSAIDs if I don't have to. I have standby steroids for my neck but I hate taking them when I HAVE to. I don't need anything for pain. And unless I touch my foot, it's not obvious it's numb.

It's crazy! But I can't help to think it's associated with my back issues. I had foot numbness before but it was pain from my back down and then numbness in my foot when I sat for long periods, ESP driving. This is out of the blue and odd. I did sit a lot with reports yesterday but really no more than normal at any one time.

Thoughts? Thanks!

• Hi What Next,

I'm no expert but have been dealing with sciatica for four months now from my L4/L5 herniated disc. From all my reading about sciatica, sounds like that's what going on with your foot. My sciatica presents as pain, but burning, numbness and tingling or common and my pain shots into my foot. You might try icing your lower back or alternating with a heating pad, some Alleve or Advil. Considering you job, if you were a woman, I'd recommend a SPA day and a little massage (LOL). Hope you are better soon and take care -- :)
  • I have sciatica also. The pain isn't shooting down my leg either it feels seperate and tingling and numb. It was driving me batty but the epidurals helped as well as the 600mg of Lyrica and amitrptyline for nerve pain and tingling and numbness. I still have pain on the side of my leg and get muscle cramps in my calf also. It was 60-70% better but I think the epidurals are wearing off. I think you need an MRI to check this new symptoms and call your Dr. any numbness should be looked at by your Neurologist. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN