Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatic pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I've been diagnosed with sciatica from an MRI, had 1 epidural injection with some relief, but felt severe pain in my big right toe upon injection. Pain subsided from buttock, with some residual effect left in my foot. My question is why do I have so much pain and numbness upon rising from my bed each morning? Eventually after about 2 hours, the pain subsides, also taking400 mg Ibuprofen. Am scheduled to have a 2nd epidural this week, can I continue to expect furthur relief. Also, thinking a new mattress will help, have had a water bed for 30 years, any suggestions would be appreciated

• Could you take your meds a few hours before you rise officially? I used to do this (prior to my Spinal cord stimulator placement) and it made a huge difference in my ability to move around with much less pain. My muscles just got so stiff through the night, and if I did too much rolling and twisting, I would really hurt. On bad nights, I slept in my recliner as that kept me from moving too much.

Take care,

• if you can afford it ..you can't go wrong with an electrical adjustable bed with a sprung and memory foam mattress {sprung with a 2 inch memory foam top built in not a topper}.failing that a good sprung mattress VELDA make superb mattresses if you live in the UK go to sleepmasters there electric bed is a velda under there own name its called the sensor foam revolution/don't buy a tempur bed because they are too hard for any one with a bad back and hell to get off in the morning {we bought one and its now in the other bed room collecting dust!} a very expensive mistake
  • Thanks Cheri, That's good advice, I'm up at least once during the night, so I'll try that!
  • I was jogging 1-22-09 when I slipped[but did not fall] and wrenched my back. Now I have been running 10 k marathons for many years and have really watched doing stupid moves with my back. But after the lower back wrenching...I had a horrible night and couldn't get to sleep because of pain to the right front upper thigh.Shortly after getting out of bed,making my coffee,I took a step forward and my right leg went numb,spilling my boby parts on the carpet. After getting up and wondering what happened,I imediatly fell the second time,unexpectantly.The emergency room wanted to release me for home,but my legpain was now at 10.5.After being admitted to the hospital for 5 days,I am walking with a cane,with no trust when my leg will give out again.I see my MD next Monday,nerosurgeon,Tuesday.Has anyone any idea what I have done to deserve this punishment?I have an active lifestyle and my skiing trip out West had to be cancelled this year.
  • Did you see the docs and did they give you any help or information? Best wishes on this.