Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on a forum about my back problems. The first time I was told I had any problems with my back was in 2005, and since then have had numerous MRI's and visited many doctors trying to find someone who will want to do more than just give me drugs for my problem. I have finally found a doctor that actually understands how much pain I am in and that I need to get something done so that I can have an active role in my childrens lives.

Currently the Dr. has determined that I have a herniated disc at L5-S1, which is pinches the nerves on the left side. He also told me that I have DDD, does anyone know if there is anything that you can do to prevent further damage to other discs in the spine?

My current medications are Oxycodone ER 20 mg- one tablet every 12 hours and then Hydrocodone 7.5/500 four times daily as needed for breakthrough pain. The only thing is I have noticed that these extended release oxycodone do not actually work for 12 hours, at least not for me. I have been dealing with living with pain 4 years now and I would love to be able to wake up just one day without being in pain.

In 2008 I went in for the epidural injections and all that managed to do was put me in more pain, after getting the injections twice I was referred to a neurosurgeon. The first one I went to told me that I have two options. Either go in and shave down the bone that is pressing on the nerves, or go in for major surgery to remove the disc and replace it with a cage and then do a bone graft. We left there debating on what surgery I wanted to do, but when I received a bill from them with another patients billing included on my statement I decided that I wanted a second opinion. I just don't feel comfortable having someone open up my back that can't even bill me correctly. I currently have an appointment with another surgeon at the end of February.

I look forward to being able to discuss my back problems with others that understand what it is like to deal with the daily pain that I deal with.

Thanks for listening, sorry it was so long.

• I'm sorry you're here with back pain, but Welcome to this wonderful community of fellow pain friends!! My problem disc is also L5-S1, so I understand the pain you feel. I also take oxycodone and it does not last 12 hours either. My doctor called that "end dose failure" and changed my dosing. Have you talked to your doctor about that?

It is always a good idea to get a 2nd (and 3rd, etc.) opinion. I recommend following your gut instinct - the one you feel the most comfortable with. Have you or are you seeing a neurosurgeon?

Injections did not help me either, including the bilateral selective nerve root blocks I had this year. I was careful to not have more than 3 in any 12 month period (had 4 total ESI's and 2 bilateral (both legs) selective nerve root blocks.)

Welcome and good luck with your additional doc opinions. Hope you get an answer and a plan you feel good about!!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are suffering with back pain. ~X( as for the time released medications, my doctor told me there is a "falling off" period where the last 3 or 4 hours the medication in not as strong.. don't know how that helps, except to confirm what you are feeling is correct. :W please be sure and get that second opinion!! we are so happy you are here and hope you will meet lots of new "spiney" friends! =D> good luck as you search for pain relief! Jenny :)
  • I am so sorry that you are dealing with all of this pain but you are on the right track. It is ALWAYS best to get at least 2 opinions when it comes to any kind of surgery. And if it takes 4 or 5 opinions or more it is very important to have trust and confidence in your surgeon. I wish you much luck and please keep us posted on your progress.