Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Danni K, surgery 2/2, with updates to come

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone,
I will be starting this thread for Danni K, she is a dear friend to SH and will be having surgery tommorow 2/2/2009, and I will be keeping you all updated while she is in the hospital as I hear news on her recovery. Here are a few details about her surgery and why she needs it so badly.
She has had lower back pain for 3.5 years but the injury became urgent as of June 2008.
The urgency of her surgery is due to bladder issues, very weak legs with numbness, as well as sharp pains that radiate from the soles of her feet all the way up both legs. She can not walk longer than five minutes at a time or longer than a distance of about 30 yards without extreme pain, and at times falls. She suffers with sleep depravation as she is not able to lay in bed comfortably due to pain. She is also dealing with stress, and cramping in her upper back, tingling of hands, weakness and drops things easily.
She will be having a disectomy and nerve decompression of the L4, L5 and S1. She has DDD, stenosis, osteoperosis, L4/L5 and S1 prolapse right foraminal nerve root pressure, altered neurology in all 4 limbs as well as bilateral sciatica. This surgery has been delayed THREE times now and her stress over the operation has escalated each time it has been canceled. Due to having to wait on new surgery dates, her symptoms have worsened and the outcome of her post op pain level has been reduced to 65 percent. She has been told that the back pain will always be there but they are hoping that the leg pain will be reduced after surgery.
The hospital stay is estimated at two to four days. Let us all pray the doctors will not only reduce the leg pain but that the back pain will also subside and her percentage of pain relief will be greater than estimated.

She recently came down with a horrible cold that has settled in her chest. She is on antibiotics now for the cough but this could delay her surgery once again. She will be assesed tommorow before surgery to see if she is healthy enough to proceed. If she is not the surgery will be delayed yet again only causing more stress and the worsening of sypmtoms as they are worsening by the day at this point.

Please everyone pray that she is well enough to have the surgery tommorow, that she will go into surgery with a positive healthy attitude, that she will sleep well tonight and her cough will be healed. As anyone can imagine a cough hurts horribly after back surgery. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers as she needs much support. She is a dear friend and loyal woman in need of comfort and support. I know she will find it here as everyone here is such a great help.

I will try to inform you all as I know the progress of her surgery. If she is not well enough for the surgery tommorow I will update on that as well. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you all, I will update when I know more.

You can PM me for more information on how to send flowers or cards should you like.

• I know I wrote this for you, but you know my heart is with you as you go through this, and my prayers go up for you. I will do my best to keep everyone informed so that continual thoughts will come your way. I love you so much honey, you are a dear friend and I wish nothing but the best for you. Chris and I will be sending your pressie soon. We love you, and you know you both will be in our prayers.
    "through hurricane waters till we see blue sky" you know I am here for you :)
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    You must begin to feel better SOON!! When one of us is in pain we all feel it!! I am so sorry to hear that you are "under the weather" I will hope and pray that your chest cold resolves quickly and that you can have your procedure done SOON. Gee theres nothing like a problem stacking on top of another problem. I have faith in God and your strength of character .... You will get through this and come out on the other side stronger and better.

If I can do anything to help ... please IM me .... I am good for a chat or a laugh now and then again (Just ask Erica).

You are in my thoughts and prayers,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Hey Butters, you know that I love you and William and I are thinking of you and hope all goes well! Coal, Caramel, Cookie, and Cassidy also send their prayers love! Always remember, that we are always here for you and will always be forever!

• I am claiming a very positive outcome for you tomorrow. God is already there. I will be expecting you to let all of us know of your positive outcome sweetie. We are all going to join together and have you prayed up before you even get there. We love you and are here for you. Remember, you are cradled in God's arms. I think Ben is watching over you too and he would be saying "I'm here for ya girl:-).May you have the peace of mind and body that you are craving. If you need to PM me then feel free. I'm here:-)

Love ya,
  • I am so sorry to hear of your troubles~! I have you in my thoughts, and hope that they can help you with surgery tomorrow! I had the same problem, with nerve problems getting worse daily, and the surgery made it almost completely better, so keep the hope!!!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I have only known you a few weeks Danni, but in that short time you have given me great support. I hope so very much your surgery goes ahead tomorrow, but only if it is safe to do so. I know your cough is severe but the antibiotics may have kicked in by now and make surgery possible. I will be eagerly waiting updates from Erica.
    I will ring you when I visit UK on 10th, it will be nice to get to chat to you by phone.

Take care, wishing you all the very best for tomorrow
    Love Liz xx

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • My thoughts and Prayers are with you Danni, I wish you well before and after your procedure. We all have been where you are or at least to some degree. With a little prayer and lots of hope you will get through this, we all have examples of what you are about to endure. And one way or another we make it someway somehow we survive. You cant get down on yourself, you have to remain positive and optimistic throughout. Trust what your doctors have planned for you, and follow through with the regimen. If there is anything I can do to help you through this all know that I will be here for you.

P.S. Some little mouse squeaked and told you I have sexxy voice, I'll have to let you be the judge of that.
  • Hi Danni Sweetie,

Will be thinking of you as you go through your surgery. I feel that all will go well for you. Will be praying for you tomorrow....try to relax...and not worry. Easier said than done I know. Will be checking with Justyn to make sure all went well.

Many Blessings,

• hi danni

just to say my thoughts are with you and would like to say i hope all goes well as you always been so supportive and caring on this site and understanding

all the best casey xx
  • Danni, I had essentially the same surgery and I am better for it. You will be, too. It's a long, slow road but at least the road leads somewhere POSITIVE. The worst is almost behind you. Once the surgery is over, believe it or not it's all uphill from here. Sure it hurts. Sure it's scary. Sure the outcome is uncertain. But, hey, so is childbirth!!!!! lol

All kidding aside, I reached a point prior to my surgery that I was barely able to walk at all. Had severe pain, burning mostly, in both legs and feet. My legs felt so heavy. It was as if they were both anchored in 50 lbs of concrete.

NOW---nearly 3 months post op....I walk 1.5 miles a day. I even went out into my garden today and did some work there. Did you get what I said??? I WALKED and worked in my garden. This recovery is slow and tedious but in my case, and it sounds like in your case, there is no alternative. I also had spondy level 2 and a huge cyst attached to my cord. And, I'm 56 (57 in a month) so I'm much older than you. If I can do it, you can do it.

Take some music with you. If you have a friend with a good sense of humor, take him or her as well. My dsh (dear sweet hub) and my daughter and my priest all were with me preop. And they all have wicked humor. We laughed the whole time even tho I was still nervous.

God bless you, sugar. I have added you to my prayer list. You will be fine. Just try your best to relax and know that we all love you and are keeping you lifted in prayer. After all, what could be better?

Keep your chin up. You can do this, sugar.
  • LOL I meant downhill!!! Not uphill. I'm always getting my mords wixed!!!!!! K
  • I had a double lamanectomy back in 1997 im still smiling, if they delay the operation doint look at it as a set back
    look at it as if they did not want you to get in to trouble, they want you to be in the best possible conditions
    Besides use the down time to prepare for the recouvery it is so important. I have no doubts that it will be successful, give it time have pasience and take it one day at a time and we are all here for you.
  • Thank you for all the lovely comments and prayers. It means a lot to me.

I have made some fantastic friends on here and they will always mean the world to me. Its not often you meet someone online that you would go across the ocean to meet, but there several states in the USA I/we (hubby and I) are planning on visiting once I have fully recovered and am strong once more, so I can meet up with you.

Vicky, I feel Ben is around, his sense of humour...

Erica thank you hunnie for writing this all up for me. You have done a lovely job, and you have a great way with words. Maybe you could look into this as a job ie writing.

To everyone I havent met but have still left messages, thank you so very much. This is a fantastic site and everyone is so friendly.

Take care everyone, time for me to go pack my back - leave for the hospital in 6 hours and its snowing so heavily for the UK and its -5 and dropping fast.

All my love,
    from a stressed nervous tearful
    Danni xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
  • Dear Sweet Danni,
    I hope you have a good surgery tomorrow and hope all prayers will make it to you safely! And everything will go right. :) We love you!
    Love Always,

Dear Lord,
    Please watch over Danni as she goes into surgery tomorrow. We all know how it would feel to go into surgery. I know I never been into surgery or some of the others never went through it but most of us just wants the best for our dear friend, Danni. I just hope she makes it and has a strong loving personaility that she has will still be there. Be with her. Lord, protect her and guide her doctors.
    In Jesus Name I Pray,
  • I am knowing for you a successful surgery and recovery, a reduction in pain, and healing with grace and ease. Thank you for all of the love that you have given out here at SH and elsewhere. What you give you recieve.

One Love,

• I am knowing for you a successful surgery and recovery, a reduction in pain, and healing with grace and ease. Thank you for all of the love that you have given out here at SH and elsewhere. What you give you recieve.

One Love,

• Hi Danni,

I'm fairly new to SH, but I have chatted with you many times. I know everything will be just fine. You have so many people praying for you. I hope you will have a peaceful night with pleasant dreams. I pray that nasty cold is healed and out of your chest so you can have this surgery that you so desperatly need. You know you are in our thoughts and our hearts.

• Good luck tomorrow and will be waiting to hear how well your doing. Stay positive and before you know it better things will becoming your way. Good luck.
  • Hey Danni here is all my best, for u to have a speedy recovery. May all the guardian angels available be by your side in the hospital. Your spiney friend Candy :)
  • Hi Danni,

It was so nice to talk with you today - even if we both don't have our regular voices- lol. You know that I am praying for you, and I can't wait to hear from Justyn tomorrow!! You need to be well for this surgery. I hope that you feel better so it doesn't have to be canceled. I know that you have been waiting 8 months! I hope that the doctors give you a good bill of lung health to have it done. If not, your health is more important than all the waiting. I am thinking of you with lots of love!!

• PMed you!

Hope all goes well. Will be thinking about you today! Hope all this snow hasnt added to your troubles!

Stay positive whatever happens - and keep on smiling my friend!!!

Charris x
  • I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. And it would be so great to hear you're free of pain afterwards. It's happened to others. God Bless and be close with you tommorow because you've asked him to help you. Finally! Get this done. I know you were waiting so long. It hurts to be bumped around like a pinball machine instead of a person in so much pain and needing surgery. Wishing you healing thoughts all day. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I just spoke with Danni's husband Justyn at 10 this morning my time. They are five hours ahead making it three for him. As of two o'clock there time she was still on the operating table making it a six hour operation thus far. He hasnt heard anything new just yet and had just called the nurses station to see if she had come out of the OR. He needs just as many prayers as we all know this is hard on our loved ones who have to help us move about after surgery. He is nervous but in good spirits and will be visiting the hospital again at seven his time which will be two here on the East coast. I should have more news then, but they obviously felt she was clear enough in her chest to operate. She will still have that nasty cough, hope it leaves as coughing hurts soooo bad in the first weeks.
    MORE TO COME LATER TODAY!!! thank you all for the support and it is being passed along to her and her husband. Her husband is not well himself and needs just as much support and prayer. Thanks again everyone

• sweetie , you and your hubby will remain in my thoughts and prayers. You are an incredibly strong woman , even more so then you give yourself credit for , so I know that you will be just fine. Hang in there and let me know if there is anything at all that I can do for you....much love and take care my friend , Miki

Erica , thank you so much for being such a great friend to Danni and keeping us all updated on how she is doing....you are the best sweetie!!!!
  • Danni: All the best to you Danni as you go through this you are a thoughtful and kind individual and you deserve the best.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Erica: Thank you for posting and keeping us updated for your good friend. I only wish I had a friend like you. You too are a special person.
    Thanks Again.
    Nana Shan
  • Thank you, all of you, for the kind words for both Danni, her husband. I have just spoken with him and she is out of surgery out of recovery and in her room. Her operation lasted from 8:30 in the morning till 3:00 in the afternoon, so about seven hours she was on the table.
    They almost had to do a blood transfusion but luckily they did NOT have to do a transfusion. I dont know the details of the surgery except they had to "stretch" her spine to decompress the nerves. She will be on oxygen until tommorow to help with her breathing as she still has her cough.
    Her husband said she was snoring when he came in to see her, and she is a bit emotional realizing that this was a BIG surgery but he has her set up with a bed side TV, and phone to help her pass the time until she can sit up to read. She is comfortable with the morphine just a bit sore as to be expected.
    They did the disectomy still, there was no fusion (to his knowledge) and he has not heard yet as to why the surgery took so long. He will be finding out tommorow when he sits down with the doctor as they were busy with other patients and visiting hours were over, he will have more details then.
    When he has more details, I will post them. Thank you all for keeping up with her progress she will love to read all the posts when she returns home. Husband is even having her laptop fixed so she can use it more easily at home :)

More updates tommorow!!!

Thanks again and keep her and Justyn in your prayers.

• Danni I'm happy to hear you are in a room and recovering, hope your doing well.
    Your Husband is right there bye your side and will continue to be throughout.
    Together you will both make it through this and on to better health. My continued thoughts and Prayers go out to you.

With wonderful friends like Erica keeping us all informed, it does not go unnoticed. You are well Loved and cared for each day that goes by.

Wish you to a speedy recovery, and cant wait to hear your voice again.....
  • Danni,
    I am so happy you made it through your surgery good and strong. I knew you could do it!

Dear Lord,
    I thank you for keeping Danni from having a transfusion. Please keep her in your daily agenda to check up on. We all love her here at SH and hope for a safe recovery.
    In Jesus Name I Pray,
  • YAHOO DANNI- it's over!!!!

Thank God the surgery that you have waited 8 months for is done. I must admit I am so surprised they did it with your cold, but I am so glad to hear that you are in recovery. I am also so surprised that you were in there so long. I hope that you get the best of results and heal quickly!!! I am thinking of you both.

Thank you Erica for keeping us all updated.

lots of hugs,

• to everyone who has posted I know she will love to read through this when she is able. My fellow chatter boxes, if I am not online check this link daily as I should have some new news posted as I get it from her husband. Thank God, she is out of surgery and the scary part is over. Danni when you do read this know that I was with you through prayer and spirit honey, all night and all day. I miss you horribly and your J is doing a wonderful job keeping me updated so that I dont get in a tizzy wondering how you are. He is a gem. I cant wait to hear the day you are coming home love. I love you with all my heart, you are such a dear friend to me and I feel lucky to have met you. Until next update everyone take care!