Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nightmares with a side of raw hot steak

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Sleep Problems
I was tired last night. Physically exhausted. So, I took a pain pill, and my scheduled nerve pain med and hit the hay. I must have slept in the same position from 10pm until 2am. I awoke from some nondescript nightmare and could not feel my right arm or leg. Without thought my left arm reached over and tried to pick up the right and my hand was completely limp. No feeling, no control. None. Like some hot raw slab of beef the whole thing just dangled there. My fingers would not move at all. My wrist would not move at all. Oh hell this scared me. My leg had some very slow reactive movement, but the sensations were dulled. My first thought was, Oh Shit I must have had a stroke and now my right side is paralyzed. I decided to say something out loud to make sure that I could still speak and move my lips. I could! After the leg got some feeling back the arm and hand were still just hot weight and would not respond. So, then I thought, Oh shit I have ruptured a disc in my cervical spine (I have had some issues there in the last few years that I have been ignoring). But thankfully after what seemed like an eternity my arm started to hurt like hell (Yay, life!), and then burn and then I could wiggle my finger.
Umm, whatever I need to do to avoid that set of circumstances again in my life, I am doing it.

Anyone else have this problem?

One Love,

• If I take a sleeping pill and a pain pill too close together I have weird dreams or nightmares everything feels off and I sweat alot.
  • That happened to a couple of times soon after started lyrica and flexeril and amitriptyline at bedtime. But thank goodness not since. I hope that was an isolated event also with you. I haven't had surgery though so you could mention in to your surgeon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
    Besides some vivid nightmares, many times after using Ambien, I would go into a semi sleep walk.. I would get out of bed, go into the kitchen and start cooking.
    One night I peel shrimp shells, I discarded the shrimp, but put the shells into a pan. Then I added some oatmeal, a little water, olive oil and milk, and then went back to bed.
    About an hour later, the smoke alarm was going off, since all the liquids evaporated and the pan started to burn.
    Needless to say, Ambien, is no longer part of my medication mix
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • That is quite a recipe you had going there, lol. I am glad that you were able to pinpoint that and nip it in the bud. Somnambulism is crazy.

One Love,