Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Best Breakthru med for you

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Medications
Just wanted to see what you all take for breakthrough meds. Also so they loose their effectiveness after taking them for a while? DO patients switch ever so often? Thanks. I hope everyone is feeling well today.

• It's dilaudid for me, but it's one of the strongest ones, and I think the only reason I 'need' to use it, is because I use methadone as my main/constant pain control. Methadone sort of hogs all of the opiate receptors in your brain, so it takes a strong fast acting med to actually work for me.

I'd say that norco and percocet are perfectly good candidates for best bt med as well, but it all depends on how you react, and also what you are taking as a time release med.

• I take 120 mg Avinza as my long acting med and 15 mg Oxy for BT. I like the 15 mg Oxys for breakthrough, they work! I used to take OxyContin for long acting and hydro 10/325 for BT but it never worked for me as a BT med. The Oxy works great for me.
  • I'm on Fentanyl 75 mcg and Norco 10/325 6 per day for BT pain. I never asked for the Fentanyl increased, it was always suggested to me. I have been on the patches for over a year, and the Norco for about 3 years. I think I'm used to the Norco after all this time, but I don't want to be asking for something else unless it is needed. I will continue to work with what I have.
  • My husband and I have been timing my meds for the last week or so. Im keeping a pain diary for my SSD and for my next PM visit. My Oxycontin 40 last almost exactly 7 hours and my oxycodone 10mg pretty much does nothing for pain. Im very happy with the 7 hours I get from my long term med but need something for those hours in between.
  • Moon Child,
    Ask your Dr. about the Oxy 15 mg. You would be surprised what that extra 5 mgs does for you and the lack of APAP will also help your liver out. Oxy comes in 5,15 and 30 mg strengths without any tylenol in it. I would ask about it because when I was taking the OxyContin 40 mg, I was also taking Hydro 10/325 for BT pain. It didn't help at all so I asked about anything stronger and I got the 15 mg Oxy. It was a Godsend for me. Check it out.
  • Ask your doc about adding in Ibubrofen (I know not all of us are allowed it) or acetaminophen bot of which work. The acetaminophen potentiates the effects of the oxy without increasing side effects.

I thought I had been given a wonder drug in hospital, 20 mins after taking it felt the relief. When I asked what it was they explained (as I have) and I have tried one, other and both to test the theory.

Both is good but on a strict 6 hour regime.
    Ask your doc.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    I would suggest NOT asking your doctor to change on medication to another or to increase the dosage of one of them.

Instead of asking your doctor, I suggest that you Tell your doctor that the current medications you are on, do not seem to be effective in pain control. (Then you have to say why)

This way you are allowing your doctor to come up their own idea or set of medications for you.

It may sound so simple, but you will get better success when you explain your situation and let them come up with the plan vs you going in and telling the doctor what the plan should be
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks everyone. I see my Dr tomorrow. My husband's partner at work ia in the hospital with a pulmonary embolism so my hubby will need to take up the slack with traveling and has 4 trips planned in the next 2 weeks. Its going to be very hard for me taking care of the kids by myself.
  • Once again I agree with Ron. You should leave a rather large avenue open for the Dr. By doing that, you give the Dr. the power of decision making. Don't ask about a specific med like I had previously mentioned, but ask or tell the Dr. that what you're taking is not helping. Like Ron had mentioned earlier in another post, most good PM Drs. will be glad to accommodate you, so to speak.
  • Do you have a babysitter to help you when you go to your appointment? I can imagine how hard it is to be alone feeling the way you do and having to care for your children. I hope things go smoothly for you and the kids while your husband is away on those business trips.
  • Saw my PM and explained that Im still having severe pain and the Radio Feq didnt work. He said it is his policy that he doesnt prescribe anything over oxycontin 40mg. He did increase my BT meds to 4 a day Oxycodone 10mg. Hopefully that will help.( if I can find it anywhere due to the shortage)He did offer the Fenteyl patch. Im seriously considering it. Can I get some feedback on the switch if I choose to do that?
  • My Dr had to switch me to vicodin HP because of the oxycodone shortage. What a difference! It works so much better for me.
  • HI Dmoonchild, I've been on the patches for over a year and it is convenient because you don't have to be taking pills throughout the day. I do however take Norco for BT pain. When on the patch, I don't get euphoria at all and feel normal enough to drive. The best place to put it on is your belly because it works best where there is more fat distribution. I used to put it on my upper chest and I was sick with nausea, vomiting, headaches, and dizziness. Ever since I switched locations I never experienced side effects, even when my dose was increased. Fentanyl is 80x's stronger than Morphine and hundreds of times stronger than street heroin. It's bioavailability is 90%(according to Wikipedia). You change it every 3 days, but if you find it doesn't last that long, doctors will write it for every 2 days. I'm on the 2 day schedule and it has worked out for me well. This is my experience with this medication but be aware that others might not tolerate it.
  • Can I ask how much you pay for it? I have a good Insurance plan and usually pay 10, 25 or $50 for prescriptions. Would this be something different?
  • Hi Dmoonchild, I pay $10.00 copay for 15 generic Fentanyl patches per month. Companies that make generic Fentanyl are Watson, Sandoz, and Mylan.

The higher the dose, the higher the out of pocket cost is. I paid out of pocket $250 for 10 generic 75 mcg patches once. It was painful, but it's nothing compared to $700 for 10 brand name patches.