Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WickedPainWWickedPain Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All

I am officially a nervous wreck, my cervical ADR (prestige replacment) is this Thursday and I am trying to keep busy by getting ready. I have bought button down PJs, new slippers and soft food. Any other suggestions, advice, encouragement? Any stories to keep my mind off of it?

• I have a few suggestions, having done it twice now! Make sure that you have plenty of pillows, including one that is moldable. My saving grace after each surgery was an old pillow that I had that I could bend, curl or roll up as needed to get comfortable.

As far as food goes the fisrt one I needed the softer foods as seems to be the normal. Strangely though, after the second surgery soft foods made me gag and I had to eat crispy things like tortilla chips and such. I have no idea why but I've learned to be prepared for anything!

The best advise I can give is to follow your doctors instructions to the letter. If he says you can only lift 5 lbs then stick with that until he says otherwise. We all have a "honeymoon" period where you think that you can do laundry, sweep the floor etc. only to pay the price for it later. Look at this as the chance to be a slob for awhile and not be deemed lazy for it LOL. Yrust me, it'll all be there for you to do when you heal.

Good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, no matter how silly they may seem. There's always someone here who has been there, done that.

• Get yourself a NintendoDS and some games. When your body can't do anything, you can still keep your mind active. I've got and arcade-type game that has solitaire and a bunch of other stuff. Then I bought MillionHeir and it's a really fun search-type game - nothing that'll get your heart beating too fast, but'll keep your mind going.

Also, Griff is so right about the Honeymoon period. Unfortunately, mine happened right out of the hospital. I was waiting at the front doors for my ride and I saw my mom-in-law pull up behind a few cars. I couldn't wait to leave so I got out of the wheelchair, picked up my bags and walked to her car. Needless to say, she was very upset. My adrenaline must've been running high because I was like that all that night and my husband was wondering why he even had his mom come and stay to take care of me. He finally said "Can't you act like you just had surgery??" LOL Well, the next day when I woke up in my recliner, he asked how I felt and I said "Like I just had surgery."

That happens to all of us - just follow docs orders, take your meds to stay ahead of the pain, and let people take care of you.

Good luck on your surgery. Keep us posted!

• I would have the fridge stocked up with snacks and and lean cuisine frozen dinners. Any foods you can think of to make life easier.
    Also, stock up with laxatives. I recommend Senokot and Fleet suppositories because the first weeks are tough digestively.
    If you haven't already, buy a grabber. You will probably leave the hospital with a walker and raised toiletseat; the physical therapist arranged this for me. You may have to buy a showerseat since some insurance companies don't pay for one. I even found them at Home Depot in the bathroom accessory aisle.

I have 2 trays I use for eating in bed and multiple pillows. I slept a lot during the first couple of weeks so boredom wasn't a problem. After that, it's good to have movies, games, and people to keep you entertained and it is good for morale. Well, that's all I can think of for now, and I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery. Take care
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Everyone should pay attention to what Cath111 had to say.
    Recovery is a medical journey that all patients have to go through. There are the standard things to keep in mind, but its those extra things that can make a difference.

Keeping the mind active, is so very important. We can let the physical recovery take its course, but keeping the mental part is up to us.

And yes, the "honeymoon" period. I think every spinal patient goes through this. While recovering, there is a time frame when we are feeling so good, and think to ourselves, this is really not all that bad. I think that is good for everyone, but dont let false security take control

Spinal surgery is not a cakewalk and we all need to follow the doctor's orders
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • PapaRon, I agree that every spinal patient goes through it. You can look up current and past posts (mostly in the surgery area) and see how many times the "uh oh, I think I screwed up"-type posts have been made. I think I myself have posted at least three, the most recent being last week. LOL

I think another advantage to playing a game is that when boredom sets in, or when TV just gets old, that's when you tend to get up and do more than you should. If you're a perfectionist like me that boredom will lead to cleaning the kitchen ("why didn't they put away the dishes last night?") or folding laundry, or any other household chore that's a huge no-no. It says right in your pre-op paperwork that "recovery time is not a time for you to catch up on your housework."

PS PapaRon, sometimes I log on just to see which avatar you're using. :-)
  • If money is super tight like it is for me, the next best thing is a good puzzle book, and I got a regular book to read, ironically it is a book about a man who died for 90 minutes after a car accident and returned to his body and wrote about it, just fascinating stuff fer me!
    Also we have an organization near our home that has wheel chairs, walkers, and tub chairs you can borrow.
    I got lucky too because I worked in a nursing home and they were redecorating and removed all the lift chairs and replaced them, so they were up for grabs, I took two and I have my favorite one I may be using alot!!!
    I also have a bunch of cans of chicken broth, yummmm.
    Also got a cheap pack of bendy straws.
    My surgery is this coming Monday, Feb. 9th 09.
  • I invested in an inexpensive laptop computer. My main computer is upstairs so I wanted one downstairs where my bedroom is. Originally I intended it so that I could keep tabs of the office and help my hub from home with our business. Pay bills, check accounts, etc. But as you've already read, not only has it helped me keep my mind engaged (am building a website with it) but it has been great for keeping in touch with all my "spiney" friends.

There are many great posts in terms of things you need for your recovery. My grabber was invaluable! I have also enjoyed a tray for my bed and sofa - can use it for laptop, playing solitaire, eating/snacking. It is made of wood and has little fold out legs so it sits above me, not on top of me. Also I have used our tv trays for holding drugs, cell phone, tissue etc.

Finally, I found humor to be my best friend prior to surgery. Laughter is great medicine. Best of luck to you and keep us all posted.
  • Thank you all for the advice and well wishes. I have less that 24hrs to go and I am doing everything I can to keep be busy. My nerves are not too bad this morning, but I am sure it will hit me tonight when they call to confirm my 6 am time. I was lucky my Dr’s nurse gave me a small list of things to do and even prescribed a laxative for after the surgery. Thank you for the honeymoon period warning, I will make sure not to overdo I a bit of a neat freak so I will fight the urge to clean..lol Oh I didn’t think of a tray table for the bed, so thank you, I am off to by a tray table and get more books.