Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

whats a "level"

annmarie824aannmarie824 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Goodmornin everyone
I have a question. Some of you say you had a two level, one level, three level fusion. What are the different levels? I go to my doctor this Friday so I will ask what I am having. Here is a little history....am 56 yrs old...golfing since I was 9..4 grown children...3 granchildren with 2 on the way..was a recreation director for seniors and alzheimers...on Good Friday last year I was on my way to the grocery store for my Easter Ham. At the light I was rear-ended by a drunk driver...hospital said I had a strain neck and back...went to chiropractor then mri's...have grade 2 spondy L5/S1 with severe bilateral stenosis....disc herniations of L-5 and a disc herniation indenting the interior aspect of thecal sac..bulging disc and annular tears involving L3-4...also have C5-6 disc herniation..not to mention the surgery I had in October for rotator cuff and labral tear...believe me, I have NEVER in my life had a backache. I think thats why this is so unbelievable to me. I did go to the chiropractor for months then had an epidural. My foot feels like its broke and have sciatica on both sides. I am going to back class at the hospital this thurs and a question/answer with the doc on friday. I know this is lengthy but this site helps me sleep at night.
God be good to all of you,

• the levels are L stands for lumbar witch is lower back the # is the level, T-# is thoracic and # for level ,and C spine witch is the neck and again the # is level. If you have multilevel fusion it would be for example L-5 through L-3. If this doesn't help you can look at a diagram of a spine and that may give you a visual of the levels.
  • A simple explanation : any fusion is between at least two vertebrae (e.g., S1-L5), that is one level, when you add another vertebra, that is now two levels, and so on. Mathematically, the number of levels equal the number of vertebrae minus 1 (e.g., L3, L4, L5, S1 fusion = 3 levels). I hope I did not confuse you.

• This is how I understand it..

L3/4 = 1 level
    L4/5 = 1 level
    L5/S1 = 1 level

and so on..so if you had surgery to repair L3/4 and L4/5 it would be a 2 level.
    I had a fusion at L4/5 (1 level)

• To all who responded...oh my gosh, a simple explanation!
    All these new "terms" the docs are throwing at me have my head spinning!