Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Very new here from NJ

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
My MRI states: There is mild right facet arthropathy at L2-L3; there is mild bilateral facet arthropathy, left greater than right at L3-L4; There is mild disc bulge. there is ligamentous hypertrophy and mild to moderate left facet arthropathy and mild right facet arthropathy at Lr-Lr/ There is a mild disc bulge and ligamentous hypertrophy and minimal bilateral facet arthropathy at L5-S1. Mild degenerative discogenic disease and mild to moderate multilevel facet arthropathy of the lumbar spine. There is no focal disc protrusion, spinal canal stenosis or neural foraminal stenosis. Guess this doesn't sound like producing much pain...but it does if I do anything other than lay down or walk for a few minutes. I can sit for a very short period of time..but not without pain in the butt and lumbar.

My guess is a most people here will understand all this MRI better than myself. I know I have sciatica. I went thru chiropractic therapy with ending in worse condtion. At first I only had trouble sitting but after the chiro adjustments (2 visits) I had acquired pain in my lower back and down my right leg.

After that, I went to PT ..he also did few adjustments...plus had a machine with pads that was suppose to take away the inflammation. Attending PT for several long months with no help. although, it was due to:
not being able to take pain meds.

Many long years ago I had an accident on a horse which caused me to take strong doses of ibuprofens and tylenol. Over time, it took a toll on my stomach and esophogus. Taking tylenol today terribly irritates my stomach. I can no longer tolerate ibuprofens either....they burn my stomach and make me nauseous. I'm terribly afraid of the side effects of the pain medications mentioned by back pain sufferers' on this web site.

I'm 65 yrs old (female) and also dealing with severe burning issues of the vaginal area (for which there is no cure).

So, along with back pain and vulvodynia...My quality of life is NILL. I finally found a web site where I can find numerous information and found that I'm not alone dealing with back pain. This is one reason why I am very hesitant on back surgery. But, I believe I'm alone in not being able to take pain meds. I'm having a very hard time dealing with this back pain. I actually hate waking up each morning knowing I'll be just seeing the inside of my house. Needless to say, I'm depressed.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I can not take steriods. They not only make me nauseous but burn internally. So, steriod injections are out.

I do have one good thing in my life and that is a supportive husband and friends. I do worry that over time my husband will give up on me.

Thanks for reading this.

• I have facet joint arthropy(arthritis) also in my spine and I've received facet joint injections which are just an anesthetic and saline to anesthetize and cleanse the swelling of the facet joints and that helped me have less pain and greater movement. I started with a mild dose of MS Contin and the Dr. increased the dose slowly and I've had no problems with nausea. I bought an infrared platinum heating pad which causes the heat to penetrate deeper into the muscles and it's very soothing. I'm now able to use a recumbent stationary bicycle and slim glider to do some excercises while I'm at home. I've been off work for 1 year this week with a herniated disc and tear. I'm hoping I will get better without surgery. It sounds like you're limited to some treatment and encourage you to get a referral to a pain management Dr. It's very isolating to be ill and hopefully your husband will help you through this. My husband does everything shopping, cooking etc. We're in seperate rooms now because my husband is a slugger in his sleep and I can't take that in my condition. I hope you're husband has taken the oath in sickness and in health literally meaning it. Take care and nice to meet you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. perhaps you need to try the nerve pain medications for your sciatica. =D> they are not pain medications as such, so talk to your doctor about them. :-C i use Lyrica and have gotten such relief from using it. <:P perhaps you need to see a pm doctor. there are pain meds without tylenol or ibuprofen. have you tried any natural remedies like medical marijuana? it is legal in many states and works wonders on pain, anxiety, depression and sleep problems. right up your alley! good luck as you search for other pain treatments. :D Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    I do believe you have found a web site that can provide different ways in helping. Besides the technical and medical information that is available both here on the patient forums and the whole Spine-Health.com site, there is a bonding of members who share common problems and are always willing to lend an ear, provide some insight or just let someone rant for a bit.
    Living in chronic pain is extremely difficult. It does sound like you have some added situations that throws a twist into all of this.
    Right now, it sounds like you have made it past first base on your way to second. Having a supportive family and spouse makes all of this a little easier to deal with. Maintaining a positive attitude is probably one of the strongest allies you can have. Working with various doctors and medical clinics, I hope that they can come up with the right formula that can help you make it home.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks so much for reading and responding to my message. My husband is very supportive too. He does it all; cleans, cooks and laundry and shopping. Takes time out to sit and talk with me...tries to make me laugh at times. He works part time and still makes sure I come first.

From reading a lot of posts here..it seems that Ms contin has terrible side effects if you try to go off it. Doesn't that worry you since you mentioned you are taking it?

facet joint injections which are an anesthetic and saline...this is not the same as steriod injections?? I never heard of this type of injection. I recently went to a pain management dr. and they only inject cortisone (steriods).

Have you ever heard of tromadol? I'm not sure of the spelling, however.

Thanks so much for your reply and it's nice to meet you too.

• Hi there, I never knew about nerve pain meds before I got here. I assume one has to find a pain management physician to inject?? Is Lyrica a med without tylenol/ibuprofen?

The one good thing I do have is the ability of sleeping at nite. I don't much care to nap during the day, although I do have to lay down a lot between walking slowly around the house and sitting at the computer. My butt cries if I'm too long sitting.

Thanks for caring and writing, Jenny.

• i am sorry that you are in pain .have you tried the acticare unit its a high end TENS and external spinal cord stimulator .if you can't take pain killers this may work for you..see www.acticare.com
    don't confuse this device with inferior units the acticare is hospital professional unit used by NHS hospitals and private physios in the UK and by private people like me.
    you say that you can't take pain killers due to stomach problem .?but have you tried oxycodone?its a narcotic but has very little side effects if not abused.
  • Hi Straker, May I ask you (if you can remember back that far) how you felt after your first operation (laminectomy)?? I hear it takes about 6 - 8 months to recover fully and too, the pain right after the operation is worse than you went in. Oh, do you live in the UK??

I'm so sorry to hear you have chrones disease and living with constant pain for 11 years!! Oh my God!!

That high-end TENS unit.. how much does it help you now? I wonder if it's at all like the machinery our chiropractors-therapist use on their patients. When I was going for physical therapy, the dr would place similar looking pads on the area of my lower back that was giving the most pain for about 15 minutes..when this was done...then he would apply a special gel on my back and stroke back and forth with untra sound instrument. this is suppose to eliminate the inflammation. It felt good but the effects didn't last long. The only thing that worked for me in taking the pain away was the type of menthol stick I applied after the therapy sessions. Much like Mineral Ice sold in the here in the US but stronger. I can no longer use this product because it affects me in the wrong areas of my body. that's how sensitive I've become in my age.

I'm 65, married to Bill and have three children and five grand children. Plus two dogs

Thanks Straker for your letter. Everyone here has been very helpful and considerate.

This discussion has been closed.