Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

titanium rods/screws

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
this may sound like a really weird question. my husband recently had his 5th spinal fusion surgery. he is now fused from T10-S1. since we've gotten home from the hospital everytime he picks up a cell phone the reception either goes down to one bar or has no signal at all. when the cell phone is moved away from him or i touch it the reception is full. also, since we got home our baby monitor (which is kept next to us at night) has lots of static and interference. before his surgery both the cell phones and monitor worked perfectly. is it possible that all the titanium in him is messing up the signals???

we can't really think of another reason why its happening now. maybe its a coincidence.

• Ashley, this is the first time I have heard anything like that. I have two titanium rods, eight screws, and a spinal fusion stimulator with lithium battery pack inside me, and I have never experienced anything like you describe. I don't have a baby monitor, but my cell phone works. Could it be something else?

• Hi Ashley,

never heard of this. I have worked with computers, so am conscious of static (blows out computer parts when handling). Might be possible your husband is naturally attracting a lot of static on him. Could be the rods, the humidity level, what fabrics he is wearing, or a combination of things.

Before using the cell phone, try having him touch a big piece of metal or plumbing, kitchen sink should be sufficient (assuming it is metal). The idea is to ground out any static charge. Then see if the cell phone works. This should rule out if static electicity is the culprit.

• Ashley, our daughter (17-years-old) had back surgery last summer (2008) for scoliosis. She now has two titanium rods plus a lot of other titanium hardware in her back. We have noticed that when she uses her cell phone, the reception is not that good anymore. If her and her three other friends are in the car, for instance, she will be the only one who gets bad reception, no matter whose phone she uses! We believe this is due to the rods and stuff in her back now. She doesn't go back to the doctor until July, but we'll ask him when we see him. Also, in certain stores, she will set off the security alarms when walking in or out of the store. This has become quite fun for us as when this happens, I usually look at her and yell "run!" She's a great kid with a great sense of humor, and we like to have fun when we can.
  • thats funny you post this since my surgery whenever I use my cell or portable phone its got a lot of static!
  • After reading this I got to thinking about complaining to
    my husband about the reception I was getting on our cord-
    less phone. He even gave me the cordless phone from the
    living room and I still have some problems.