Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had a steroid injection today-feel awful

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Spinal Injections

I had a steroid and epidural injection for sacroiliitis today and I feel absolutely dreadful. How long does it take to start working? How long does the feeling ill part last? The doctor said I might feel "sore", but I feel atrocious and my back is nearly as painful as it ever gets. I've got a toddler and I'm a single parent- I can't feel ill for long...

Thank you!

• I hear the first time is the worst..that your pain should subside after two or three days. Then all should be very good.
  • For me, the night of and the next day were the worst. I took medicine(not NSAIDS for first 24 hours unless told otherwise), but ice packs worked so much better for me than anything else. Unless you doctor has told you otherwise, I'd load up on ice packs. My favorites include bags of frozen veggies or hand towel-get it wet and lay it in freezer. It is large enough to cover the whole lower back area and not heavy like a real ice pack.

As far as the steriod working, if it was going to work for me, it usually kicked in about the 1 week mark. But, the post procedure pain usually was only 2 days bad.

I understand having a toddler(my youngest is now 4 years old) and my hubby works odd and unpredictable shifts. Best thing ever in the food world are Smucker's Uncrustables! If anyone doesn't know what they are, they are PBJ sandwiches in the frozen food section. You just lay a couple in the fridge and have your toddler bring you one out of the fridge and you can open it up without having to get off the couch! Don't know what age you mean by toddler, but mine was doing it shortly before turning 2.

Good luck, hang in there, it will get better. Ice is your friend! :)
  • Hi...I have DDD and have had 3 rounds of injections and you are so right...they are so very painful...and each round consisted of 3 epidurals in 1 month....every 6 months for 18 months...it would take me about a week to over it and then it was time for the next one...i can empathize with you and are so sorry...i now have twins that are 2 and it has been 4 years since my last injection and the pain and being able to care for my children are the main reasons I havent had any more.
  • And it HURTS! My hubby said I always say it hurts after- but I don't remember this kind of pain. I feel like my entire back is on fire and aches and burns... but ice is helping a LOT. I might break down and take vicodin too- but right now i am extremely uncomfortable; however, I am able to move my neck more than I was this morning and the pain levels are definitely different- and the pain is definitely different.

I'd say hang in there- it will get easier! Each one has helped me tremendously just the first few days kinda suck.

Good luck to you!