Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OMG, just got laid off

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Matters of the Heart
Hi there.

Well, I just got laid off from a job I have loved for two years. The ***holes that took us over from Florida laid off half of my 80-person office - some that have been there for over 25 years! They said I could take a position in Florida if I wanted to move there, but that's not going to happen.

I'm glad I got my surgery when I did, but now I have to cancel PT, and I just had my first one yesterday. I was told at PT that my trapazoid muscle isn't working because of my C4-5 nerve impingement and we were going to work on retraining it. I still don't have full use of my left arm.

I believe that everything happens for a reason, but it's so hard to stay positive when you are put in this position.

OMG! With the economy the way it is...Oh No! What the **** am I going to do?!? I feel so lost and sad and upset and depressed...

:S =((

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Cathie, I am sorry to hear that, especially because it was a job your enjoyed. I can understand how you are feeling. Just last week, we had a 'resource action' (fancy name for laying people off)and I was identified as one of those to go. Luckily, I have enough years with the company, so it will really just be retiring from the job.
    After spending almost 35 years with the company and really no other jobs, it comes as kind of a shock when you get the news.
    But for me, it really was bittersweet news. I knew I could not continue working as I have been, even from home. Those 8-12 hours days at a computer just takes too much of a toll.
    So, now this just speed up the actual decision.
    For yourself, are they providing any package or incentives with the layoff? Separation money, Medical benefits, etc?
    I know this is fresh, so I am sure you have not had time to soak everything in and churn it around. I am sure for the next couple of days, your emotions will range from OK, its good for my health, to the utmost rage
    When you feel like punching a wall or screaming, send me a message a allow your frustrations to come out, I would have no problem with you doing that. Better that way then to keep things inside.
    My mother in law has had this saying since I first meet my wife over 38 years ago. Things always happen for a reason I know sometimes that never made sense, you hear about tragedies, deaths, etc and WHY WHY could that have happened. It might be years later that you find out why that did happen.
    Just remember you have us here to do what we can.
    Take care, and I mean take extra care of yourself.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I feel terrible for you. It is happening everywhere.
    Were you aware that Pres. Obama wants to subsidize
    2/3 Cobra payments for the unemployed? Maybe that
    will really happen and will allow people to keep
    their Cobra. Good luck, I feel so badly for you.
    So many things happening in the world and complicating
    our surgeries and recovery times - a year ago who would
    have dreamed all of this could happen - well, not me.
    Hopefully the Cobra benefit will happen and help a lot
    of people. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you - Susie
  • I'm so sorry - how upsetting!!

( (HUGS ) )

• I'm sorry you lost your job. Find out from human resources to see if your insurance runs out right away. Some companies have a grace period of 30 or so days. Take care of yourself. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Cath111,
    I became redundant twice and lost my job based on my chronic pain in 90 and it is never easy and we had three young children and we should give some thought and consideration to all those who have lost jobs through no fault by them.

At the time I would have wanted someone to tell me that things would be ok and in reality I am now employed doing a job that was never on the radar in my healthy persona and should anyone have told me at the time I would have laughed myself.

As said, you are not alone and that does not help you as an individual, stay as positive as you can and keep posting, that notion of seeking employment with some restriction not as easy as others suggest and I wish you well over the comings weeks.

If we can do anything to help just ask and we should never forget those for who this situation has become far more impacted than others.

• i am really sorry you are going through the loss of a job, especially when the job market is looking so bad. :( i am fearful and don't know what the future holds either. ~X( please try and keep your chin up and always know you can come here and get some relief through friendship!! :X i wish you all the best! :D Jenny :)
  • Thanks for the nice words and hugs.

I think I'm going through the normal stages of grief - Thursday I was a crybaby and yesterday I cursed at everything. I'll just have to see what today brings.

John is right, I'm probably not as impacted as other might be, so I feel lucky. I know the future is a great big question mark right now, but it's all part of the puzzle of life. I'll just wait for that next piece to be put in place.

Thanks again. What a wonderful thing to have a place to go and get such wonderful support. You all are fantastic!

• as well,cath im sorry this has happened to you,my hubby has just gone down to a 3 day week no one seems to know what the next day will bring everyone knows someone who has been affected by the recession unfortunetely al we can do is hope it gets better soon
    take care
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm really sorry to hear about your job loss. It is a terrible thing to happen at anytime but now when you've just got through surgery and hoping to be able to work without pain really stinks. We are a one income family and we find it harder to meet the payments every month anymore. I know what it is to worry about money...I guess a lot of us do. I'm very sorry. It's terrible that you lose your insurance now but you're right that it's better now than before your surgery. I wish you the best and feel free to pm me if you'd like to talk anytime. Debbie
  • I'm sorry you were laid off, life is so unfair. Things are so crazy in this economy right now and I was shocked to hear nearly 600,000 million (this number sounds unreal) jobs are lost and the unemployment rate is over 7%. We're are a one income plus SS benefit family, and I don't get much. My husband works with an injury quietly so he's not standing out while other departments are laying off people. The best you can do is to apply for everything right now - unemployment benefits, medicaid, etc. There are places that help with paying rent/mortgage and utilities. If you have a house, the best thing to do is let the mortgage company know your situation so they can work with you and hopefully can defer a payment. They want you to stay in the house so it is in their best interest to work out something. My family has been through crisis like this and I understand how you feel. I know you don't need this in your present condition because you need to take care of yourself. I pray better days come along soon. It may take some change but it will be an improvement. Take care
  • What a tough time for them to do that to you. It also happened to my best friend just this week. She was scheduled to return from medical leave Monday after 3 months of leave. Instead what she got was a letter this week explaining that her job had been eliminated. I really feel for you. I talked to my friend the other night and I did most of the talking. She's just still numb and reeling from the news. I agree that there is a reason for everything. Unemployment payments are increasing and I know that my daughter in law got payments much longer than we expected. So there is hope. Just remember if you need a place to vent we're right here for you.
    P.S. Here's the shame in it. It seems companies are going after the sick and the ones who are closer to retirement age which I think is completely unfair. Those are the people who will find it hardest to find a new job. I just pray Obama can really turn this around quickly.
  • Yeah, it totally sucks. However, to look at the glass as half full, I'm experiencing some pretty severe sciatica right now so being able to control what I do during the day is a relief.

Thanks again, Kattoo.