Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Neck Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Wasn't sure whether to post under chronic neck pain or the neck pain forum but here goes.
About 8 years ago I was doing some heavy lifting, random yard work etc. That evening my neck started hurting some, felt like a sprain perhaps. The next morning I woke up to severe pain (couldn't even turn my head). I went directly to an urgent care where they diagnosed it as neck strain, put me on pain relievers and muscle relaxants and a collar. I followed up with my doctor at the time after about a week because I was feeling no relief. I was told that my neck pain was due to stress. :-/ I saw several doctors over the next year and continued to deal with pain all the time almost daily headaches. Each time I was told that I needed to find a way to destress myself. I was put on several muscle relaxants which never seemed to fully help the pain. One doctor even went so far as to massage my neck and to tell me that I needed to just quit worrying so much and the pain would dissipate over time. I threw my hands up for many years and dealt with the pain.
Finally last year after my husband was involved in a motorcycle accident and received wonderful care from a new doctor I went to see him. He looked at my neck, told me he could see spasms. Put me on one muscle relaxant after another..Soma, Skelaxin and one other. He asked me to wear a neck brace which I did but it seemed to cause even more pain. Finally after months of him trying to treat me he sent me in to get an MRI. After seeing the results he referred me to a neurologist which I will finally get to see next week. I am hoping for a miracle.

My MRI results were as follows:

Findings: The sagittal images demonstrate mild reversal of the normal cervical lordotic curvature. This is most commonly seen with muscle spasm. No evidence of subluxation is demonstrated. The certebral body and disc space heights are well-maintained at all cervical levels. The cervical spinal cord is normal in signal intensity and contour.
The C7-T1, C-6-C-7, C5-C6, C4-C5,C#-C4 and C2-C3 levels demonstrate no evidence of disc bulge, focal disc herniation, central canal stenoisi or neural foraminal narrowing.

Ok, I've researched this a bit on the internet and can't find too much info except technical medical talk that I can't make head nor tails of. Does anyone know what this means? Is this a correctable condition? I am so tired of the pain everyday, and the headaches are intolerable. I have had a new symptom over the past few weeks also. I have developed over the years of this a habit of twisting my neck trying to relieve the pain and sometimes when I do this I feel something almost like a band that goes up behind my left ear that pulls really tight.
Anyway, thanks for reading my post. Any advice or anyone who has experienced anything similar please advise me. I am at my wits end! :(

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    None of us are able to read your mri results since we're not physicians. I can give you my opinion however for what it's worth. :?
    Just going by what research I've done lately it sounds like your discs and everything are normal except for the muscle spasms. Muscle pain can be terrible and very long lasting. I wish you luck in finding relief for your pain. Sounds like you've suffered for a long time. I know how discouraged one can get when in pain constantly. Hopefully you'll get more answers from your neurologist next week. Good Luck. :)
  • We aren't doctors so of course your doctor will have to figure out what's causing the spasms but just let me say that I wish my MRI looked more like yours. Sometimes (I know from experience)muscle pain is hard to treat. That's why they keep giving you the muscle relaxers hoping one of them will provide you the relief that you need to break the cycle of pain. Maybe they might be able to do some sort of Physical Therapy or something along those lines that might benefit you. Let us know how this works out.
  • Maybe you can try massage to loosen up those spasms. Muscle relaxers are very effective and maybe it will ease the headache. Take care
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Nor have I ever played one on TV ... i didn't even stay at a Hilicay Inn Express last night. I have been in ancllary medicine for 25+ years, % of thiose climical including shooting and viewing X-rays. Thake what I say for the value for which I charges .... Nottin.

Your C-Spinefor the MRI is gorssly NORMAL. The only slight variate whould be loss of normal lordotic curvatue, sometimes call hyperstraightening. The most common cause of this condition is Acute Spasmotic Torticolis .. Cervical Myositis or in just plain olf termd as wry or Wrecnched neck.

Treatment would include, rest, warm moist heat, Ibuprofen (motrin 800 2X perday) massage, diathermy, and other voodo cures that might work. Buttom line ... do what your doctor tells you to do,

Good Outcomes,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    there are always three words you need to keep in mind:

Mild Not to worry, perhaps a couple of weeks in Physical Therapy will help. You might get some muscle relaxers and a mild pain medication

Medium The disc problem is something that should be handled to prevent it from getting worse. You will more than likely have some Physical Therapy along with Muscles Relaxers and perhaps a Schedule III pain medication (vicodin, percoset, etc) Depending IF the disc bulg is impinging on a nerve root, surgery might be a solution. You will normally have to go through some ESI (Epidrual Spinal Injections) to help resolve the problem.

Severe STOP you need Schedule III and more than likely Schedule II medications (Morphine, Hydrocodone} When the discs are this bad you will more than likely be scheduled for surgery

Now hardly anything in medical is pure Black and White. Even though the above are some guidelines and many people could fit into them, this list does NOT describe every situation and every MRI report.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had hyperextension of my neck. The Radiologist said he's never seen that before? I had torticollis for 9 months. I took valium for that 9 months and had to drop out of a specialty Nursing program because I couldn't take meds during the course. I was lucky to get a job in my Drs office but for receptionist pay. After 9 months the pain disappeared and since then I've had only minor incidents relieved by ultrasound and minor manipulation by a Physiotherapist. I hope you get some relief of your pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • As your spine appears to be quite normal (lucky you!), it might just be a simple case of something not sitting quite right.
    I'd strongly suggest you see a physio or chiropractor to get the spine adjusted.
  • Thank you for the information. Its about as close to a diagnosis as I have come to! I will do everything my doctor tells me to. I plan to go by the book with this neurologist as I can't imagine living this way forever. Thanks to everyone for their warm wishes! I will keep you all posted after my neurology appointment next week. I pray for each and every one of you that you get some sort of pain relief. Best wishes and thank you to all who responded.
  • I understand what you said about the pain meds. I tried them before but found that I was very functioning and since muscle relaxants don't seem to help me I rely mainly on Ibuprofen which really doesn't work quite as well as I would wish. Thanx for your reply and best wishes!
  • I've toyed with the idea of a chiropractor but I hear horror stories about it making back/neck pain worse. I am gonna just do what my neurologist recommends and hope that she knows what she is doing. If a chiropractor is suggested I will be next in line at his door! :) Thanx for your reply!
  • It's like a lot of things-bad news travels, good news doesn't.
    You are unlikely to find any medico recommending a chiropractor as they view them as non-medically trained.
    Yet you may well find that they don't have an answer for you from their training.
    A chiro will require x-rays to make a diagnosis. You would then discuss it all at that point.
    Necks can be tricky so of course caution is advised, but it is a definite option.
    Some of my joints go out or lock up, and the only one who can fix me is my chiro.
    Physio is too soft and ineffective in my case. It needs a fair bit of force to re-align the joints.
    But the chiro will have a range of treatments to offer.
    I go every 3 months for a simple tune-up, where he runs a heat gauge over my spine to find the hot spots, then applies a gentle pressure to loosen it all up.
    I'd be crippled without this treatment.
    So please keep it in mind as your problem might be an easy fix.