Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi there! I am new to this site...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a place to get support and information regarding my back pain condition. I am a married mom of an energetic 2-year old, and I've been off work for 10 months now due to chronic pain in my SI joint/hip/leg, as well as depression and sleep problems due to the pain. I have been through 3 different PT's, 7 different doctors, and about 10 different types of medication (and, we're stilll trying new combinations in that area). I have had epidurals, nerve blocks, steroid shots, trigger point injections, PT, biofeedback, chiropractic/massage, radiofrequency neurotomy on SI and on facets, and 4 rounds of prolotherapy injections.

The hardest thing for me now is finding one doctor to help me manage everything, and finding the right combination of meds that work for me. Right now, I've been going through monthly prolotherapy injections in my SI/hip/lumbar spine area, and so far, they have just flared me up more than helping. We have 3 more scheduled, but no other options if they don't work. Does anyone know of any clinical trials or other alternative therapies for strengthening the SI ligaments that I should look into? Thanks for any and all advice, and I look forward to meeting you all. ;)
advertisement

Comments

• what have the MRI s said? how do they know it is SI ligamentous laxity?
  • I hope there's a combination that works for you. It's not easy getting so many injections and pt and meds. The only trials I know is trials in the left hand column. Good luck and take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    ">image
    For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Normally a Physiatry (or Pain Management Doctor) is the doctor who should be coordinating all your services. Thats your medications, your tests, your treatments and more.
    They are also the doctors that need to dig into your situation if nothing and come up with other approachesi
    What has been the report of your MRI? What is the action plan your doctor is taking?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. if these injections are flaring you up, why are you taking any more? :? it is necessary to find one doctor to handle your meds and injections.. there is only so many injections a year the body can handle. please check this out! look st the top of the forum under "Treatments!" good luck as you seek pain relief! :D Jenny :)
  • Hi everyone,
    It is great to have a place to get information, advice from you all who have "been there" or are still... I wanted to answer a few questions regarding my MRI's: I had 2-3 Cervical MRI's in the past 5 years that showed C4/5/6 minor bulges to the right that may be causing my neck/face/ear/arm pain & numbness. This pain is intermittent and not as bothersome at the moment as my lumbar/SI/leg pain, which is very sharp, burning and disabling. I have had 2 MRI's on the lumbar region with both showing no herniations, only minor arthritic changes on the facets and a slight misalignment of my hips (one higher than the other). The last PT and PM dr. I went to both confirmed the instability in my right SI/hip as compared to the left by manipulation, etc., and I actually feel it give way when I walk, and it clicks/pops a lot when I get up and down off the floor, etc. So, right now I am using a lumbar corset around my hips to stabilize the SI when I am up walking, and I good good running shoes. I use Ice sometimes if the pain is bad, as well as a TENS unit, which helps the nerve pain.

My meds right now are: Celexa 40mg, Norco 10/325 4x day, Tizanidine 4 mg 2-3x day, Ambien CR 1 at bedtime. I also was taking little bits of Ambien throughout the day time to help the nerve pain, but I was recently told by my insurance that it was not covered that way (it is an off-label indication - pain), so I had to stop doing that. I am seeing my family Dr. today regarding my increased depression and sleeplessness lately, along with migraines. Any suggestions for a new antidepressant to ask for?? Also, I have seen something about longer -lasting meds. Could some one give me that info. of what to ask for? My current pain med only helps somewhat and only lasts (for me) about 2.5 hrs., however I can only take 4 per day so I am really struggling to get through the day.

Thanks,
    Gina
  • But, I know where you are... I take Norco 10/325s too. I have argued my way up to getting 5 a day. They still only do minimal crowd control for my pain.
    Suggestions, Have you tried all the "new" nerve pain meds?
    If so, I'd suggest some trials of old ones too. I take Desipramine 10mg a day. It helps my depression and maybe pain, maybe not. It is an OLD tricyclic antidrepressant. The first mention I have seen of it is scanned trials from like 1958! Sometime new is not improved! Anyway, it is something to consider, not just the one I mention there are others too.
    Is your pain onset from an injury or wear and tear? I am in the process of getting a trial of an SCS. It works somewhat on the same principle as the tens unit, except the electrodes are placed on the Spine and it takes the muscles out of the loop. I did not do well on a tens, yet I have hope the scs will work. I'm just waiting now. Been approved by psych, need insurance and PM to work things out. The good news on that is my second opinion PM suggested the SCS and the primary PM agreed! So I have two referals.
    Hope some of this helps.
    Welcome the S-H!
  • I've had facet joint injections that have helped with better movement and less crunching of my spine. Good luck with your trial of your SCS. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Is there a chronic pain management/rehab clinic near you - the kind where you go daily for several weeks and see an interdisciplinary team of people who help sort out what is going on and put together a plan for you. A friend did that with great results. Often they are associated with large hospitals in metro areas. The one I know of is in Charlotte, NC at Presbyterian Hospital, I think, but I am sure there must be others around the country. I think they sort out the meds, the PT and any other treatments you might need and then teach you to manage the pain. Might be worth looking into.
  • You have found an excellent place to come to for support and understanding.
advertisement