Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I crazy to do this?

kitnmomkkitnmom Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I only have one bad disk Herniated L5 S1 area.
I am going to have a Lumbar Laminectomy on the 11th. I have had sciatica for over a year and although Acupuncture helped i can't afford to keep going back as much as i would need to.(Workers comp will not pay for Accu

The pain is mostly down my right leg and hip area but also spreads to my left hip leg area. and when i am on limited duty at work it subsides for the most part but comes right back if i pick up even 10 lbs at a time.

• I also am starting to get leg numbness and my toes are always numb

I just don't want to trade one bad pain for another but i don't want to wait until there is more permanent damage either
  • Thanks for your post on my thread. Is there any stenosis? Have you had a second opinion?
  • I don't think it's crazy if you have nerve compression. I agree about getting a second opinion just to be sure. I had a microdiscectomy/laminectomy in the same area due to herniation and sciatica after having gone through conservative treatments. At first the surgeon wanted to do a fusion but then went with the lesser procedure. I still wound up having a 2 level fusion after all.
  • Thank you for the replies, this is my second opinion. The first wanted to do a fusion with hardware. The second i was much more comfortable with and he is one of the best in the state. He thinks i am to young for fusion and wants to do the Laminectomy. I don't know what stenosis is, so i don't think i have it. I think it is DDD.

I have had some Physical Therapy, accupuncture, tens,and pain pills
    thanks again for the help
  • My sciatica started in Nov 08, was so severe I couldn't walk more then 5 minutes without having to sit to releive the pressure on the nerve, the more I walked the shorter distances I could go, eventually my right leg would constantly throb even sitting.

I went through 3x steroid injections, which provided temporary partialy relief. I did the pred dose packs before that, NSAIDS, narctics, nothing helped. In Dec 08 I had an MRI done, showed spinal stenosis/ multiple disc buldges some chronic. Saw a spinal surgeon had PLIF done 2 weeks after that.

My sciatica was gone INSTANTLY after surgery.

Its all up to you. To me it was/is worth it. You will be changing one pain for another, but this pain is controable and only continues to get better/go away.
  • I have been feeling like a wimp with all the much worse situations people here have.

I have felt it would be worth the recovery time but nerves were making me think twice

thank you for sharing your story
  • I just recently came to these boards a few weeks ago (basically days prior to my surgery).

You will find more negative then positive, as frankly once your feeling good you have no need to post here ;)

A lot of the posters here have chronic issues, a lot of degenerative/defects it seems that would be difficult for the worlds best to fix.
  • I finally just went through a left L5/S1 laminotomy & microdiscectomy after only 6 months of pain. I don't know how you have been able to deal with it for over a year! My pain started with just a little occasional soreness in my hip and rapidly progressed to terrible pain throughout my hip and thigh and then down through my knee, calf, and foot. The last stage was the toes. I would get horrible leg cramps at night and wouldn't be able to straighten my toes. Then everything started getting numb, which really scared me. The numbness felt better than the excruciating pain, but I knew it was a really bad sign. My leg pain was gone as soon as I woke up from the anesthesia. My back hurts a lot from the procedure, but I'm getting better everyday, and I'm walking without a limp for the first time in 6 months. If you are comfortable with your surgeon, you will be fine. My orthopedic was awful, I would never have considered having surgery with him, but I was able to get a referral to one of the best neurosurgeons in my area and I instantly trusted him. He made me feel comfortable about the procedure, and I felt like I would be safe on his operating table. And I was. The back pain afterwards, for me at least, was 10 times better than the leg pain. Good luck, and think positively.
  • I wish you the best for your surgery and recovery. Get back to us when you can after surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Kitmom,

I had lumbar fusion 10+ years ago... at the time i walked like a 99 year old woman and i was 30, pain in lower back, down legs + sciatica. My daughter was about 5 at the time, and i was so upset that my disability was not allowing me to be a mom.... I think when it comes to nerve compression, if the conservative treatments don't work... it's better to just get the op. For me i figured the time i was using could either be used focussing on pain management.. and then having a surgery (so more time out of my life); or just go for the surgery = less time out of my life. You mentioned that they were concerned about your young age as well... same with me. I remember my doc saying that the lumbar fusion with hardware/hip graft tended to last about 10 years. True to their prediction i started having lumbar problems last year... the disc above the fusion was bulging... but facet injections have kept that at bay thankfully. One injection lasted me for a year! and i just had a 2nd facet Dec 09.... days before my neck went quite badly. So, for me... it was a success, i don't regret the lumbar fusion at all. I had that op in june, needed a lot of help in the 2 to 3 weeks after i was released home; and was back to work 3 months later.

feel free to pm if you'd like to talk more about the op or recovery... GOOD LUCK!! whatever you decide :-)
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD