Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are you in charge or your DR.??????

ToYoungforThisTToYoungforThis Posts: 150
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Chronic Pain
Over the years I have been relying on my Dr.s for the direction of treatment and how to handle my current situation...But I am thinking I have been wrong and progress has been very little.......

So it a big ????? who is in charge of treatment and long tearm care..Well sad to say but it is yourself, I have had to learn as much about spine and joint and muscle dysfuction as possible, because there is a point where the treatment just stops and its up to you as the ending results.

I have been threw the ringer with Dr.s and mistakes they make or trying to mask the problem, but also have a few good ones on my side...I have come to terms that I will not be the same person I was before the surgeries but at the same time life must go on, and my future is up to me. I sat the other day awaiting at my Dr's office and it hit me there are thousands that suffer back pain, and I only know one of me, so I have to be vocal on my issues with pain and every day living or I will be just a number....So I guess it is up to me....

So do not be afraid to say this is not working or your medication is not right. Or that you need a better treatment plan...You are the one suffering and TRUST me your Dr is not thinking of you when you are suffering sever pain moments. So do ask for the extra therapy, ask for the change of medications if you are still at a high pain scale, you are in charge and that is a fact. The Dr.s can only direct you and give advise cause all spine issuse are treatable( thought my Dr was out of his mind when he said that).................................

• Sometimes I feel like I'm at their mercy. I am putting my life in their hands and entrusting them with my care. I don't know a fraction of what doctors know and cannot decide what treatment will work for me. But I will try to learn all I can so that I can make informed decisions :?
  • We do have to take charge of our own medical care to insure that we get proper care. Sometimes I feel like I need to go to school and get a degree in order to diagnose and help myself. You are not alone. I feel sure that there are lots of folks here that feel the same way.
  • I am using my doctors more and more like a resource and a another set of eyes. I have found that the 5 doctors that I have seen cannot even tell me what exactly is going on - at least one admitted that. As many of you have heard the doctors are just practicing :) - and we are the lab rats that they are practicing on. I give each doctor or therapist up to 6 months if they don't help then I find a new doctor with a fresh eye.
    I do all that I can to be informed and the doctors are part of the information process. I have found that my local hospital has a library so I have go there to do research. I also do a great deal of reading online - I also contract people who have written books or produced videos before I make a purchase. I don't have unlimited money to buy everyones "fix your back and end your pain now" scheme.

• Well, you're singing to the chior here. I have always insisted that I am the boss and the doctor is the employee. I mean who pays who, huh? I am always in charge and I try to be as well educated as possible about every single symptom that I have. I'm getting to be quite a good diagnostician. lol Good that you've come to that realization and good luck in the future.
  • Sad fact is, s/he who writes the scripts holds the ultimate power.
  • I take my parents (who are 74 and 84) to their doctor appointments.

I have noticed that the doctors will tell them "you need to go see such and such doctor" "you need to have such and such test"; they are sending my parents here there and yonder to perform tests, recheck, redo lab work, etc. The scheduler schedules the appointments and give me a sheet of paper before I have a chance to consult my calendar to see when I am available, or when I can take off without upsetting apple carts. When I ask for an appointment that is more convenient for me, the caregiver/transporter. They always say "That's all we have available".

It makes me wonder if alot of these elderly patients are being shuffled from doctor to doctor, test to test without it being completely necessary.

My dad was on thyroid medication. His thyroid level was low. Doc's office called to say they were upping it. OK. They scheduled an appt for like a week after he'd been on the new dose. It's still low. We need to increase it. I explained he'd just begun the medication and did not feel comfortable increasing it again (my Dad is about 120 pounds and in very poor health); could we just give it time to get in his system. She had to call me back after checking with the doctor who said that would be fine. She wanted him to come back in a few days to check his levels. My Dad HATES the doctor. It wears him out to go. If I weren't there questioning the doctor or explaining to the doctor, they would be going to the doctor 3 times a week between them.

But it makes me wonder if the doctors are just trying to get the Medicare monies... I know the elderly need to be monitored and all, but...

Nevermind. Sorry. I'm a bit grumpy today.

• What a great post, I'm sure many people do relate to that. I am currently going through that with my husband and his back issues. He is on his third doctor and currently at the "Oh well" frame of mind. I told him oh no we aren't having the oh well attitude. His third doctor is ok, but I imagine we will take the new MRI information and treck onto another doctor. He's only seen him once, so I guess we'll see how things go when we see him for the results.

I am fortunate to be set up with good doctor's. From my family doctor to my dermatologist. I had to go through a few doctor's before finding the right one's so far things are working out for me. Now if I can get my husband settled in with someone willing to help him with his back problems rather than handing him pain meds and shuffling him along we'll be in good shape.

It is kind of scarey to think we have to believe everthing the doctor's tell us though like we don't know any better. I have low thyroid problems in combination with Hashimoto's Disease and when they tell me my thyroid level is within normal range I often wonder "what's normal really" I mean everybody is different. How did they come to this realization. They recently had to change my meds because the thyroid level was low. Actually my doctors practioner did which didn't make me happy. I insisted I didn't want to see his practioner any more. I'd seen her twice and I don't like her. You know pretty quick at least after the first couple of visit with someone new if it's going to be a good fit or not. all we can do is work with them right and hope for the best.
This discussion has been closed.