Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Ruptured Discs Pain Meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Medications
Hi All,

I'm currently on MC Contin 30 mg every 12 hours, NORCO 10/325 3x's daily as needed for breakthrough pain, Neurontin 300 mg every night for nerve pain, Ambien 10 mg at bedtime to sleep, and MOTRIN 800 mg every 6 hours.

My first appontment was a few weeks ago following my dicsogram after my unsuccessful discectomy in Dec. 2008

I have 2 ruptured discs at L4/5 and S1 and am seeing a PM doctor. My next appointment isn't until the end of this month. My pain contract specifically says not to call them if I think I need an increase in pain meds, and to keep my appointment as scheduled. In it (the contract) it also stated that if I call they have the right to cancel me as their patient. I'm sure they are just covering their butts, however, I would like to know "about" what other people are taking as in dosages for similar pain. My pain is lower back, both hips, buttocks, legs, with drop foot in left. I have an ALIF scheduled for June, and I'm not sure I can keep going on what I "feel" as far as pain even after all this crap I'm taking. If you feel comfortable about sharing your treatment plan, PLEASE do! I don't want to call and complain about the tiny 30 mg dose of morphine if that's high end stuff.

Much Thanks,

• I was on MS Contin 30mg twice a day. At first it was MS Contin 30 mg a day until I told my Dr. when I wake up the pain was terrible. Just 2 months ago when I went back I said it works for 4 hours then I'm in pain all day and when I take it, the pain never goes away. My Dr. increased it to 30 mg 4x a day. I still feel pain but she won't change it. My 2nd pm Dr. works part time and I've only seen him twice and he wouldn't change the meds it was my PCP that had to change the meds. I hope you feel enough relief since you have BTP meds. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • When I herniated L4-S1 I was on Norco 10/325, Soma, and Neurontin. I went on to have decompression surgery but it didn't bring me relief because other problems came along. I went to pain mgt and started on Fentanyl patches.

I had a 2 level TLIF/laminectomy last summer. I was on Valium for 3 months post op and then it was changed to Zanaflex. I still have chronic back pain and sciatica and use Fentanyl 75 mcg patches every 2 days, 6 Norco 10/325's a day, 3 Zanaflex's per day, Cymbalta, and Motrin.

I have a pain contract too, and I never heard one like yours that you'll be fired if you call needing an increase in meds. What if you're in a lot of pain and you need to go to the ER, does that count? Well, I hope you can bring up the medicine issue at the next appt. Take care
  • I am sure they don't want patients to call RE: an increase in their pain meds. The only reasons I can think of is because of SOME patients that are seekers. Also possibly because it is something that cannot be handled over the phone anyway. My PM told me that I can call and let him or his nurse know if my meds are still working or not and then it would be handled at my NEXT appointment.
    MS Contin NEVER worked for me. I guess really NO long acting meds really did the trick for me. If they did work I didn't like the side effects and the side effects never went away, if anything they got worse.
    I am surprised that you are only on 300mg Neurontin at bedtime. That is how my doc STARTED me on neurontin, then after the sleepy side effects decreased (about a week later) he had me take 300 at bedtime and 300 in the morning. Then about a week later I started taking 300 at bedtime, 300 in the morning and 300 at lunch time. That is where I currently sit with the meds now. A total of 900mg per day. I also take Zoloft 30mg at bedtime and I have Percocet 10/325's up to 6 per day for pain and 500mg Naproxen per day. I am actually having my doc switch me to straight Oxycodone without the Tylenol again. The Tylenol is making my tummy upset again. When I was with my OLD PM doc he switched me from 4 10/325 percocets per day to Oxycodone 5mg up to 5 per day. OF course the dosage was decreased and the pain level was a continual 8-10 EVERY day! So I found a new PM because the OLD one wouldn't budge on my meds. I started seeing the NEW AWESOME PM doc about 1-2 months ago. He started me out on 10/325 percocet 6per day. He told me that I need to let him know if I feel the meds are not helping as much as they used to or if I just WANT a med change. He is an AWESOME doctor that actually listens and is there to HELP! So this next appointment I am going to see if he will switch me to Oxycodone 15mg 4-6 per day. The cool thing is that I can tell him what I feel I need and he is fine with it, well as long as it isn't exreme I am sure. He is not one of those docs that says well you are only 32, you are too young or PErcocets are extremely addictive or potent. I LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM! I know he wont have a problem switching me at all. I just need to call around and see if the pharmacies around here actually carry the 15mg oxycodones. LOL
  • At my clinic, they state on the pain contract that no adjustments will be made over the phone and it will be addressed at the next appt. too. I can understand the logic behind the policy. As long as people know they can't call in for that, then nobody should get in trouble. If you have a pain emergency, the office will probably refer you to the ER.

• I have three ruptured discs, L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. L5-S1 is the worst one as it has nerve root damage there and foraminal stenosis which causes me intense pain in my lower right leg. The lower right leg is totally numb as is my foot and three of my toes on the right foot. I had three surgeries to date and the last one was in 1993. So now I have arthritis and all kinds of other good stuff surrounding the site. To make a long story short, my Pain Management Dr. has put me on an incredibly high dose of Morphine Sulfate, however it is a 24 extended release Morphine Sulfate. It releases a little each hour for about 20-24 hours. It's called Avinza and I take 480 mgs each day. They come in 120 mg strength (highest) and I take two in the AM and two in the PM. For BT pain, I take 15 mg. Oxycodone. The good thing about the Avinza is that once you get it going (about 48 hours) you remain the same way. In other words there's no ups and downs or highs and lows, it's just a constant flow of little bits of Morphine. I started out on 40 mg OxyContin and the moved to the 60 mg MS Contin. I find the Avinza works the best if you get the right amount thats good for you. The difference between the MS Contin and the Avinza is the way it works. One works for 12 hrs and the other for 24. If you take the Avinza, make sure that you get enough to control the pain otherwise, Avinza is useless.
  • Charry,

I'm wondering if that is the ticket for me. Sounds good, but I'll probably have to cut back on the NORCO. Considering I was on 10 of the 10/325's a day, dropping down to three was huge for me. I've been on that stuff for over a year, but no withdrawl symptoms. The MS Contin makes me really constipated though. So another one a day kinda scares me. I didn't have that prob on the NORCO.
    You take care too,

• Does the Fentanyl make you constipated? I'm trying to get away from that. I asked for valium but they discouraged that because of breathing problems with the morphine. Did the valium alone take care of your pain? If I took enough of it, I'd just smile all day, lol.
  • Hi Melissa Joe,

That's a lot of Neurontin! My doc mentioned upping the dose the following month, but I'm terrified of gaining more weight. I have a history of rapid weight gain with antidepressants (prozac and zoloft)and am scared to death that neurontin will make me even fatter! That's the last thing I need with back issues. You must be one of the lucky ones that can take zoloft. It helped my PMS symptoms so much but now I just take a continuous dose of birth control pills so no more periods and no more pms! Yeah!

I hope you find the 15 mg percocets, lol. Hold onto that doc, he sounds like a keeper. Are you by any chance in the pacific northwest??? lol.
  • I'd be in a coma on that much stuff! I'm assuming it comes in a smaller dose. I'll be sure and mention it to my doc. I hope that is helping your level of pain. That's a long time to hurt that much.
    Take Care,
  • Lets keep in mind that the Avinza only releases approximately 10% of its total every hour. So you get so little at a time that you don't feel anything at all. If I were looking for a buzz, I would have to look somewhere else. That is why I am always pushing this pain med for those that ask. It's effective yet there is no High and Low with it. Like I said before, if you take the same dosage at the same time of day, you feel pain free for the day and your plasma levels remain the same. No waking up in the middle of the night, no getting up in the morning and having to reach for your pain meds. It's just such an easy and effective med that I seriously don't know what I would do without it. I have never taken a pain med that lasts for 24 hours and this one is pretty close. If I take the Avinza at 10:00 at night, I don't have to think about taking it again until the following night. At times, I won't have to take it until the following morning. It's that effective. It comes in doses of 30, 60, 90 and 120 mgs. I tried the 60 to begin, and that didn't help at all, the 90 once again was no help so we moved on the 120. I thought that that was fine until I started to get night sweats so the Dr. started me taking one in the AM and then again right before I went to bed. That is why I take it twice a day.
  • I'm sorry I missed you question. Fentanyl can constipate you, but as long as you follow a good regimen of taking fiber, drinking plenty liquids, and using the occasional laxative you should do okay. After having my fusion, valium alone wasn't enough to control the pain. I took that along with the patches and Norco to manage it. Valium works great for muscle spasms but doctors don't like to keep you on it for a long time because it's thought to be more addictive when mixed with hydrocodone. I was switched back to Zanaflex after taking valium for the first few months after surgery.