Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had terrible tinnitus (ringing in ears) w/neck pain??

teddibtteddib Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have terrible tinnitus as well as dizziness and pain associated with a whiplash injury I had in November 2008. It didn't start right away but about 6 or 7 weeks out. Has anyone had something like this?? I can't focus or concentrate for long, I'm spacy and in pain. Pain meds don't work. They want to replace C5-6 disc with an artificial disc. Not sure if this is the answer. I also wake with numb arms, freezing cold hands/arms, lots of other symptoms. Can anyone relate to this at all????
advertisement

Comments

• yes, i too having the ringing - on and off - but not to distraction. Your other symptoms, yes, yes, yes! They have not even brought up surgery to me - guess my herniation isn't as bad as yours. Not sure why the ringing, very dizzy with rotation of head, esp. if i am laying flat and i turn my head to the left to look behind me.

Do either of your toes go numb? My right foot toes go numb after about 15minutes. I actually timed it once.

pfm
  • Yes...the little toe on my right foot. Have you researched Cranio encephalic syndrome??? Not a ton out there but it's worth looking at.
  • sometimes thoracic pain is from the disc herniation usually C-5-6. Do you have herniations??? God this is driving me crazy.
  • I was just on web md looking this up I've been dizzy and I've been hearing a heartbeat sound in my ear for months I got an MRI and it showed a mild buldge at C-5 C-6 but said that shouldn't be causing that problem.If you guys find anything out be sure to post it and ill do the same.
  • I have the tinnitus, it drives me crazy. Mine did not start until after surgery. I saw an eye,ear and nose doctor and he also did a hearing test and I have sufficent hearing loss in both my ears. He told me there is nothing that can be done for it. I don't know which is the worse of 2 evils, the ringing or not being able to hear well.

Sharon
  • actually it is my big toe that goes all numb - just got back from helping my mom out and pretty much the whole time, right foot big toe and rest of them all numb!

my herniation is c56 with osteophyte complex
    patti
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,301
    Yes and Yes ...

I recently asked my doc about the constant hiss and slight ring (in my case) ... he said that it can be caused by the constant cervical muscle spasm that I (sounds like we) are blessed with ... there is another whole thread that we talked about toes ... I see if I can find it and link it here.

Hanging in there is about all we can do ....

D
  • Thank you so much!!! No one has ever explained this to me before but it makes sense. I am so sorry for what you're going through! I'll put you in my prayers!
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,301
    Here's the thread in which we talked about toes ....

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/chronic-pain/swollen-and-numb-toes

You are very welcome, and I will add you to my prayer list also ....

Join us for chat somenight ... It does a spirit good!

D
  • I think some of the meds give me tinnitus. I was also anemic before and tinnitus was a symptom. I think alot of cervical problems cause tinnitus. Get checked out by a Ear nose throat Dr. take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It is interesting to see people have toe/foot numbness, yet the problem is in the cervical. From my last mri of c (1/08) - the hern, and bone spurs were not interferring with central - but i did not have this numbness last year at this time.

If anyone has this toes/feet numbness but with cervical issues, not lumbar - help fill us confused suffers. And the ringing in the ear - what a conclusion - it is from the cervical spasms! hhhmm

sorry stole you post teddib
  • After reading this I'm gonna go to a ear nose throat dr as soon as I can. I thought I had some sort of infection but now that i saw this maybe not .
  • Hi, I also have ringing in the ears, also had surgery on my right foot due to sharp pains in between my toes also the middle bone had fallen, so it still hurts to walk very far. Had surgery and they removed part of the nerve in the top of my foot. Never thought to look into it being part of my Neck problem.
    Will be having surgery for C5,6 &7 on Februry 24. I think I will ask my doctor next week about all of this when I go for the pre-op stuff.

Joyce
  • Hey slowpoke, let us know if his response is the same as Metalneck's doc. It will be interesting to compare what they say.
    pfm
  • teddib said:
    I have terrible tinnitus as well as dizziness and pain associated with a whiplash injury I had in November 2008. It didn't start right away but about 6 or 7 weeks out. Has anyone had something like this?? I can't focus or concentrate for long, I'm spacy and in pain. Pain meds don't work. They want to replace C5-6 disc with an artificial disc. Not sure if this is the answer. I also wake with numb arms, freezing cold hands/arms, lots of other symptoms. Can anyone relate to this at all????
  • ENT says i have tinnitus and i just have to live with it,well that's nice he gave my problem a name,i told him he can call it what ever he wants,i got ringing in my fu-king ears and as another DR told me there is something causing the ringing in my ears,i told the ENT on my 2nd visit that a man in FLA killed himself over this same problem that he had to live with,than he ordered an MRI of my brain maybe because he thinks i'm nut's and an MRI of my ear canal and an MRI of my neck all came back negative except my neck,the MRI said Mild C-5,C-6 spondylosis with broad-based disc bulge.Uncovertebral osteoarthritis with spur impingement on the right neural foramen.i am shure this should explain why i have neck pain numbness and pins and needles feeling going down my arm to my hand and into my fingers on my right side,also waking up with my hand and arm cold and numb,my main question is could this C5,C6 also be causing the ringing in the ears,i have had the ringing in ears for 2yrs now,went to many DRs, this neck,arm and hand problem started 3 months ago, i had neck problems for years but never pain down my arm,i live in VA and was visiting FLA a year ago and saw an ENT who axualy cared and that was the DR that said something has to be causing the ringing telling me it could be a number of things incloding a pinched nerve in the neck,the DR in VA was not trying to find out what was wrong with me except after i started talking about death,i pray to GOD that this MRI result is what is causing the ringing in the ears,because the ringing is worst than any pain,the ringing is tourture only someone who has it would know,the DR can't hear it or see it,so it's easy for them to say you just got to live with it, untill you end up blowing your brains out like the poor dumb guy in FLA,i will keep looking for what ever it takes to fix this ringing as long as i'm still living because i can't live with it,if it's not the disc in my neck then i want to check something else untill whatever is causing it is found the DRS will keep seeing me untill they can fix it or untill i end up like the guy in fla,i would like to know how big of a deal is the surgery to fix the cervecal problem? can C5,C6 be fused together? A nerve has to be being pinched or something to cause pain down arm to hand,i also have pain on the right lower part of my head so i'm guessing that some part of nerve is going inside of my head maybe my neck headack problem can be fix to,i would think that anyone with this C5,C6 thing would be able to at least get one if not all of there problems fixed,i have not taken the MRI to an ortopetic yet,i wonder will i get more of the run around befor the DR de sides to help me?i know i'm not the only person out there who needs help,i hope that anyone out there who is suffering from an illness gets the help they need.i dont know if ill rember how to find this site again just learning how to use the computer thanks for any help my problem sounds simmiler to a lot of other ones i have read out there. thanks ED ebrvenik@comcast.net
  • Please look up treatment for tinnitus. They use white noise and biofeedback possibly hearing devices or acupuncture or other treatments available to help. Keep looking for a treatment or 2nd opinions. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I, too have severe tinnitis. I always have a fan running, especially at nite. Other wise I'd never sleep. Take Trazadone and low dose of Seroquel for sleep. I also have narcolepsy and sleep apnea-use a C-PAP at nite. am on many of the meds I have read from the posts.

I have vertigo sometimes when I move my head or move at all. My ENT said this was benign positional vertigo. Once again...nothing to be done. Just live with it. Sigh.
    (This in response to the member who stated they have vertigo.)

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,793
    But my surgeries and injuries were lumbar. I think its the meds. I'm on 60 mg. of methadone per day. With hydrocodone for break through pain.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • HI there, for those of you suffering from the heartbeat sound in your ear, you're not alone. I have it, too, and it is very bothersome. Do a search for "whooshers" on Google to find more information on pulsatile tinnitus. It's important to get it checked out, and a lot of doctors are not familiar with all the possible causes. Pulsatile tinnitus, unlike normal tinnitus, actually can be resolved if the cause is found. There are many, many possible causes. And again, since a lot of doctors clump the two different kinds of tinnitus together, a lot of us go the doctor and are told to "live with it," when that may not be necessary. See http://www.whooshers.com for support from other sufferers.

• Hi guys,

Im about 9 weeks post op and i have noticed the same symptoms. My physio said just to keep an eye on it and i got the impression it wasn't normal for my type of surgery. Ive noticed that my symptoms are worse when ive been to active. This weekend i did alot of walking in shoes with a thin sole which i think caused more pressure on my spine/neck?? Whatever the cause it seems to be related to my neck and surgery. I have a pain nurse asking for some advice from her spinal unit and i will mention it to my physio tomorrow. I will post my finding on here asap. I will also post my progress if my symptoms improve. I hope you all feel well soon guys :) Re surgery it was a success and the symptoms i feel now are not even close to the chronic pain i suffered 6 weeks pre op but it would be nice to eliminate and ongoing issues?

Steve
  • Yes, I have ringing in the ears. I hope to do pain management , and I hope the injections will reduce swelling and relieve not only the pain in neck arms... but also the ringing. I am going to do surgery as last resort.
  • maherman1984mmaherman1984 Posts: 7
    edited 12/18/2012 - 8:45 PM
    I have a c3-c4 fusion and neck herniations at c5-6 and c6-c7 and since the onset of my substantial symptoms tinnitus came with it. Ringing in the ears and neck problems definitely have a correlation with many of us cervical patients. Muscles that are tight working to maintain stability b/c of our disc herniations might be the culprit and many who have tried neck trigger points in these muscles report temporary tinnitus relief. I have not tried trigger points yet but am looking to in the near future.

If anyone has tried trigger points in the neck that has brought tinnitus relief please share your story.

Also follow this link for some simple ways to relieve neck muscle tension. I found the last method particularly simple and helpful for my stiff neck-m Luo Zhen acupressre- interesting stuff. Read up.=!

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/3-simple-ways-heal-stiff-sore-or-injured-neck
    Thanks!
  • wrightmswwwrightmsw Posts: 25
    edited 12/19/2012 - 2:09 AM
    sometimes I get more of a roaring noise and heartbeat noise in my ears, very annoying. does anyone get a sensation like pressure on one side of their head, one side of their neck and into thoractic are and down rib cage?
    Scoliosis in t-3, t-4, and t-5, degenerative cervical/spine disease, and sensory poluneropathy
  • wrightmswwwrightmsw Posts: 25
    edited 12/19/2012 - 2:13 AM
    pmashburn said:
    Yes, I have ringing in the ears. I hope to do pain management , and I hope the injections will reduce swelling and relieve not only the pain in neck arms... but also the ringing. I am going to do surgery as last resort.
    I am doing pain management, tried 4 rounds of trigger point injections, they aren't bad but for me they didn't work had a cervical meadial branck block done over a week ago, i believe in c-2, c-3 c-4 and c-5 (using the same injection site for c-4 and c-5 due to some blockage (?) follow up this friday and I agree surgery as a last resort (scared and financially not able at this time)
    Scoliosis in t-3, t-4, and t-5, degenerative cervical/spine disease, and sensory poluneropathy
  • I have been struggling with cervical issues commonly associated with whiplash, and during the course of this developed profound tinnitus in left ear, less in right ear. Are they related... Maybe, according to two ENT docs that I saw, but several of my siblings have it, and may be age related. A great source of info and hope can be found at the American Tinnitus Assoc. ( www.ata.org ). Many people have this condition, and because a high percentage of veterans develop it, there is a lot of money being spent on research, and I conjecture that this will lead to very effective treatments in the short term. I have found Xanax to be helpful for managing the anxiety associated with it, if used carefully,

Regarding treatment for cervical damage associated with whiplash, at least look into the possibility that cervical facet syndrome is playing a role in your complaints, and RF ablation, which can be a highly affective and much less invasive treatment than fusions, etc.

Be well.

Kevin
  • Hello all, I herniated c5-6 and recently had ACDF surgery (3 weeks ago). Prior to surgery and even before the disc herniated I had episodes of vertigo, tinnitus, and I would be dizzy if I closed my eyes and tilted my head up. The symptoms got worse after the disc herniated, and I have not had them since my surgery.
  • I am relieved to finally see answers here. Almost a year ago, I had a 2 liter bottle of pop come off a shelf at store and bounce off my collar bone, before it exploded all over the floor. I have been treated for what was thought to be a shoulder injury initially, but now that the pain/symptoms are getting worse my ortho now thinks this may be related more to my neck. I had MRI of shoulder which showed only a very small tear/fraying at the rotator cuff. He feels my symptoms are stronger than they should be for what was seen on the MRI. I have pain at the collar bone that radiates down into my shoulder, through my arm, and down into my wrists/fingers at times. I also have ringing in my left ear and it feels "closed up" (which just started about a week ago) and since this injury initially happened an itching/burning sensation in my left toes when my shoulder/neck feels more inflamed. Has been driving me crazy. We have tried a cortisone shot, physical therapy, and Motrin 800 with no relief. He is having me start a steroid pack and sending me to a neck surgeon to hopefully get some answers. Any suggestions for relief would be greatly appreciated. I cannot get in with neck surgeon until Tuesday afternoon.
  • my neck pain is from spinal stenousis/degenerative cervical/spine disease. I think when the spinal fluid is fighting to flow that's when I get roaring in my ears and head pressure also causing migranes
  • jp4revoltjjp4revolt Posts: 2
    edited 11/14/2013 - 3:09 PM
    Mild Cervical stenosis per MRI. It starts with left neck and shoulder blade pain then moves to c6 t1 area then nerve gets irritated. Docs keep telling me that my MRI is no biggie compared to other patients and say its anxiety..well the pain and numbness came first and I don't have anything to be anxious about except dealing with the doctors and explaining myself over and over. Already had one injection and use pain cream with no improvement.
advertisement