Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need your opinions

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all. I'd like your opinions and advice on my diagnosis. My ns said my myelogram showed severe cervical spondylosis, HNP (herniated discs), and spurs compressing spinal cord. Levels C5-6 & C6-7. She said my discs are gone and bones are sitting on each other. Also have straightening of the lordotic curve. She said we'd try pt first, then injections, then talk about surgery. She said she was afraid to do surgery because the arthritis is so bad above and below those levels. :/ I start pt Thursday and home traction. Only meds for this are neurontin & flexeril. I'm afraid pt will make it worse. I can hardly turn my head or use my arm. Any advice? Thanks, Debbie

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I haven't got it yet. She wrote a prescription for it that only says home cervical traction device. Where am I supposed to get it? At pt? I don't really know and they didn't say. How long did you go to PT? Did it help with your ROM? I don't understand how traction can help if my discs are gone? Still, I'd love it if it helps. I feel like someone is shoving my head down between my shoulders all the time. How are you doing now? Painfree? Or at least more bearable? Debbie
  • Hi Debby. I also did my traction at 20lbs. The PT will get your traction unit for you (or at least mine did). If your PT says that you need 20 or more pounds of traction, you will get the air pump traction machine where you lie on the floor, put your head in it and pump up to whatever pound of pressure you need.

I did that along with PT for a month and it helped at first, but then it stopped. That's when I was referred to a surgeon and he said I could try ESI, but he doubted it would help. So the only other option was surgery.

It's all history from there.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the info. How are you doing now? Are you glad you had the surgery? Did you recover quickly? Why do they think it is taking so long for that level to fuse?
    I hope I don't get that one either...looks painful to me! The way my neck is right now, I believe it would kill me. I've done something to make it worse the past couple of days. I don't know what but I can hardly move now. Good time to start PT isn't it? I hope I can get it straightened out some by Thursday! Did your ins. cover the traction unit? Is that considered durable medical equipment? Thanks again Eve. Hope you're doing well. Debbie
  • I'm very glad I had the surgery. No, recovery is not quick by any means. I consider myself still recovery, after some long hard thinking and doing too much sometimes. That's one of the difficult things - coming to grips with the fact that recovery is long and slow. I wore a hard brace for four weeks and then a soft brace for two months. In fact, I wore the soft brace so long I started decorating it. :D

However, I am doing well but still take pain meds and muscle relaxants. I had started PT and that would've moved me forward to where I wouldn't need meds, but just got laid off so I can't do PT any more. My doc said that the reason the C6-7 is slow to fuse is because it's the area that moves the most when you turn your head in any way. We'll see how it's doing in June.

Take care.
    I think when it comes to recovering from surgery we're all too impatient. I know I am. I've had several surgeries in the past, well three of them have been within the past two years, and I'm the worst patient I guess. Don't get me wrong I know my limits but I do push it. I'm just not the type of person to sit for very long. I hope that you soon get better and that it fuses correctly. Take care, Debbie
    I don't know about it. My dr. gave me a dvd of exercises to do and also gave me one to take to the therapist. I did the exercises Wed. and Thurs. and now I can't move my head hardly at all. It's hurting all the way to my fingers! I didn't get very much sleep at all last night because every time I moved it hurt and woke me up. Seems like I couldn't lay anyway that it wouldn't hurt. Also have that darned headache today. Hope you're having a good day today. Debbie
  • I have degenerative arthritis with changes at C6 and C7. I went through 2 months of pt and then 2 months with a TENS. My NS did surgery back in August and I am still in pain. He said the arthritis has infected the disc below the fusion so he can't do another surgery. I did have one injection and it helped for about three weeks. He said I could have one every 30 days as needed but then I lost my job so I can't afford another one. Now he wants me to do home traction but I really don't know anything about it. I'm doing a lot of reading but it sounds pretty scary to try on your own. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this on your own? I don't have money to spend on any eqipment so I will have to rig something up on my own.