Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice for a new poster (PM Doc Related)

• I just tell the truth. What you have is not working for you.
    Tell the PM that. It can be hard to convince some PM that the dosage is not working. Ask to try something different. Don't mention stronger, just different. see if that works.
    I'm probably the last person to tell you how to do it though.
    I seem to fail miserably on this front :(
  • That's what I'm going to do...I'm also taking my pain logs from the last week with me.

Thanks again,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    There are a number of factors involved when a doctor determines what pain medication and which dosage they are going to give.

Clinical Examination Sometimes this is the most important one. When a person is in a lot of pain, there are a number of signs a trained doctor can see to help them figure out how much pain the patient is in.

Diagnostic Tests Based on the results of various diagnostic tests, experienced doctors can estimate the level of pain a patient should have

Patient Input Many times this is a deciding factor. Doctors can pick up very quickly if a patient is just looking for higher levels of pain medication and if the patient has a tendency to using more drugs than needed.

Doctor to Patient Dialogues To me, here is where so much can be decided. Pain is very subjective to start with so for a doctor to prescribe a certain type and certain dosage, they want to be sure that what they are doing is right. One question that I have head doctors ask and I know of other members that have heard the same thing.

Patient to Doctor: What are you expectations with this pain medication.

Doctor to Patient: only the truth goes here

A good pain management doctor will never have problems prescribing pain medications and the appropriate dosages for those patients that need it
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I know it is uncomfortable having this type of conversation with your doctor, but all you have to do be honest and show them the pain log. That piece of information is valuable and they can see the pattern of your pain. Don't ask for nothing specific, if they say have you tried this say yes or no, and if yes explain what experience you had with it. Usually when I go in to my clinic, I'm always asked how am I doing with the medications. They always offer an initiation for this type of dialogue. Let us know how it goes at your appt. Take care
  • Tom,
    I have to agree with what Ron said here. A matter of factoring in everything and the truth. That's what will help. Taking into consideration also, your size and weight and your reaction to certain meds. Once you discuss all of these things, like Ron said, a good PM Dr. will have no problem prescribing a med that fit and work for you.
  • there is anything you can safely add in to enhance the analgisic effects.
  • I met with my PM yesterday and he did increase my dosages on Lortab and Neurontin. I'm comfortable enough for now...my pain score "goal" is a 2 out of 10 but, I'm afraid I'll just need to adjust that...I'm learning to cope with a 4 out of 10 at this point.

My NS sent me for another MRI this pat Sat. on a brand new High Res machine and I found out that I have L5/S1 very large HNP, T5/6,T8/9,C7/T1 and an existing C4/C5 bulges/protrusions ranging from mild to moderate.

Also have DDD...I'm actually still trying to process all this information so, if anyone would care to chime in on what all of the diagnosis means, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks again,