Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Uncontrolled pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am in such dreadful pain from a suspected herniated cervical disc that i have no quality of life. My painkillers knock me out for most of the day/night. I am having physio but this is doing little to help. This has been going on for over three weeks and seeems I will have to wait another six weeks before I can get an MRI scan (I live in South Wales) Can anyone tell me if this is usual and will it get better?
Just yesterday I developed pins and needles into my hand (pain aleady to finger tips). One Dr told me that if i developed this or any numbness to let them know straight away, which I did, and all they did was to increase pain medication, which doesn't do a lot. Seems they don't care! =))

• I am so sorry to hear about your pain, pins & needles. I had similar symptoms last year, I did not find anything that helped but surgery. But everyone is different and hopefully something will help you and soon.
    Hang in there until your MRI scan, that should give you the answer to what is causing the problem.
    Have you tried heat or ice, sometimes that can help. On my neck ice helped, 10 minutes per hour.
    PM anytime if you would like. I have had the neck problems and now going through lumbar problems, scheduled for surgery March 24.
    Take care,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    to say anything until you get the MRI results.
    As far as quality of life, I need to tell you that no matter how much pain you are in, as long as you can function with your family and not causing them pain, then a lot of that is something you just feel.
    I am not saying that is unreal, because I know and understand how pain can sap you from so much.
    You feel hopeless, as if nothing is going to get better.
    But please, read these forums, listen to what others have to say, hear about some of the major problems that people deal with day in and day out.
    Manytimes, that is an eye opener. Doest change your pain but at times, it can put things into perspective.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Stacey - I had lumbar problems 18 years ago and ended up with open surgery when they removed L4/5 and L5/S1. Good luck with your surgery. I have been fine eversince. This neck pain is really getting me down. i am taking regular Oxycontin, can't work, can't drive and am told i will have to wait til mid March for MRI scan. I do use heat regularly and it does help.Physio isn't doing a lot to help either. I am single and as I can't work i have the added problem of not being able to pay the bills and that isn't helping. All this on top of a diagnosis of Breast Cancer last July! Jenny
  • I take nerve meds like amitriptyline and lyrica that help the numbness and tingling and some fo the limb pain. There are other meds also but I guess they want to make sure that it's a disc herniation first before really making any decisons in your case. There are also nerve blocks and other ways of treament. I hope you'll keep us posted as we can give support. I even called the MRI place and they called me in the middle of the night for the MRI,maybe try that or see if they have a cancellation list. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN