Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Motorcycle riding after tlif

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm having TLIF to fuse L5-S1 this coming tues.(2-10-09). I'm a retired firefighter 59 years old. I've been told no riding motorcycles or bikes for a year. I'm curious if anyone out there has returned to motorcycle riding after this surgery and the outcome. I ride a Harley Electra Glide and like to tour. Thanks alot....Mike

• I had a 360 fusion with hardwear and artificial disc replacement at L4/L5 in November. I was told I could ride my motorcycle this summer so I guess I get to go shopping for a new one. I am looking into another sport bike, I'm an accelleration freak. The bike weight is less but the riding position is bent over some but not like a crotch rocket. I am a tall lady with long arms so I ride a little more upright than most. I hope to ride but I will ask again at my 3 month check-up. I really don't want to take any chances with my new back but I won't quit living either. Good Luck and see ya on the road!
  • Well yes, the doctor said i can ride my bike but no horse back riding cause of the BOUNCING, as you know as a biker most of the riding we do is all HIGHWAY WELL FOR MOST OF US.before my first surgery in 2006 i had an L-4 L-5 and S-1. I got hurt in 2004 was placed in lite duty than in sept 06. fell at one of my employment funtion so 2 months later had surgery, went back to work in lite duty in march.. started riding in the city only in April.. Sweet, hook\ed up my bike with a back seat for my self and Highway pegs so freaken comfortable. ohhh yes i have a \V-star classic with white walls loud pipes all studded out its two toned color,,,
    bags the whole nine,,,, I did not do tooo much riding to work and back u know,, stopped riding in Sept 07 cuz my job kept sending me all over the system yeah they can do that cause of lite duty, so they placed me where it was almost an hour ride being just sbout winter i started getting lots of pains thought i was nuts started seeing a pain doc in Dec 07... he did every test every trial u can imagine,,, well in july 2008 come to find i never had a fuusion in the first surgery NO EVIDENCE OF FUSION THATS WHAT THE REPORT SAYS THE SCREWS WERE STUCK IN MY BONES WHICH THEY SAY MY BONES WERE BLEEDING yES I JUST HAD A revision OF MY FIRST SURGERY JAN 13 2009. reconstructive plus 2 levels higher!! This time i will not be returning to work in 3 months!! like an idiot!! i also have 10 screws and rods on each side doctors said this surgery was very challenging!!BUT I AM 3 WEEKS POST OPT, AND WALKING ALL THE TIME AND I KNOW I CAN DOWNSHIFT MY BIKE CUZ BABY ONE DAY I WILL BE BACK ON !! I LOVE TO RIDE IN A FEW MONTHS I WILL START PT. MY GOAL IS TO GO TO STURGIS IF I CANT RIDE THIS SUMMER I WILL FLY I ALREADY HAVE A ROOM!!tO BE HONEST I WENT THROUGH HELL WITH THIS REVISION. BUT I WALKED ON THE TREADMILL UP UNTIL THE DAY OF SURGERY NO MATTER HOW MUCH PAIN I WAS IN I AM HEALING NOW SO U KNOW THE PAIN IS DIFFERENT,,, BUT BELIEVE ME U I WILL BE BACK ON THAT BIKE,,, BECAUSE THAT IS MY PASSION!! SORRY SOOOO LONG.

HAD, L-4 L-5 S-1 NOVEMBER 2006

NORCO 10 MG/325
    NEUROTIN 300/M.G
  • This aspect has always been on my list and with some glee my wife is a fan also, relative to the future that year will pass soon and although most things are a risk increasing that on the basis of a fall that may not be your fault and increased limitations permanently maybe not worth the risk.

You would be asking some one to give you a form of guarantee and even if others had managed it, that is not you. I have had to give up many things sports and hobbies and it is hard with no reprieve at all.

My sister rode on her boyfriends HD and it is something we all shared in her joy.

Waiting is hard but better than the thought of never doing it.

Take care John
  • Thanks for the replies. Pika I would be interested in what your doc says at the 3 month check up. Claudia and John thanks also. I going in this Tues and I will try to give weekly updates post-op. Good luck on your second time around Claudia.....Mike