Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

will my back get worse if dont have surgery

aleonjraaleonjr Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
there is straightening of the cervical lordosis with subtle kyphosis centered at c5.There is mild disc desiccation at c3/4,c4/5/c5/6 and c6/7 with mild loss of height at c5/6 andc6 or7.Endplate degenerative changes are present at c6/7.Marrow signal intensity is otherwise within normal limits without evidence of an aggressive lesion.Overall,the spinal canal appears congenitally narrow. c3/4:there is mild disc osteophye complex c4/5:there is disc osteophyte comples asymmetric to the right w.out cord compression.there is mold right foraminal stenosis secondary to the disc osteophyte complex c5/6:there is a disc osteophte comples asymmetric to the right causing moderate right neural foraminal stenosis. c6/7:thers is a minimal disc osteophyte complex w/out neural foraminal stenosis impression:congenitally narrow spinal canal Disk osteophte complex at c5/6 causes moderate rifgt neural foraminal and disc osteophyte complex at c4/5 causes mild right neural foraminal stenosis.

Doc will fuse c5/c6

• HI To All

Hi my name is Armando ,I have c3/c4,c5/c6/c6/7,L5-S1 are all herniated and i also have DDD,My C5,C6,L5-S1 are completely gone i use to measure 5'9 and at the doctor yesterday i measured 5'7 and a half.I am always in terrible pain,can not sleep at night,hands constantly going numb when i lay down and sometimes my right middle finger feels like its sprained,I took a EMG last week,waiting for results
    and i am 44yrs old
  • Welcome to Spine Health. You will find alot of folks here with similar experiences, but one thing I've learned is that no two spines are the same! Its a great place to compare notes and figure out what questions to ask when you do see your doctor.

As for your question, it IS a really good one for your surgeon. Again, we're not medical experts and what may be okay in one situation may not be okay in another. In the meantime, do they have you on any medications for pain relief? How about a brace, or any phys therapy? I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain, I hope you can get some relief soon.
  • Armando, only your doctor who had seen your MRI and other test results can answer your question "will my back get worse if dont have surgery?" In general, if you have severe stenosis or spondy and your nerves are pressed constantly, there is a possibility for permanent nerve damage. If your problems are less severe, your pain can be controlled by other means. So this is a very good question to ask your doctor, and see what he says.

Good luck,

• help I have woken up in beginning of December with a upper back pain leading down my left shoulder blade and down my entire arm and 3 fingers numb on left hand. When staying still I can almost not notice it, but when sitting up with no neck suppport and using my arm and getting my arm and neck massaged, my arm feels like a swarm of bumble bee is living in it. Working is impossible because as soon as I lift my head and use my left arm it radiates and tingles and my fingers have been numb since december. Surgeon says 99.9 % surgery is needed, but I can't jump under knife so quick, I am only 43 but look 30. I can't bear cutting into my neck and begin laid up since I just complete a pelvic hernia operation in Aug 2007 and that took a year to recover from. I am going to try therapy and have been doing Chrio care, and THEY HAVE TREATED ME LIKE GOLD AND HAVE BEEN GIVING ME MESSAGES AND ADJUSTMENT FOR NEXT TO NOTHING BECAUSE THEY ARE WONDERFUL PEOPLE, BUT i HAVE HAD AN mRI THAT CHOSES C-4/5 C-6 AND C/7 HERNIATIONS. i THINK i GET IT OFF BY LIFTING SOMETHING HEAVE WHICH ALSO GAVE ME A SLAP TEAR, i DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO BECAUSE EVERYONE HAD THERE OWN AGENDA. HOW DO YOU KNOW THE TRUTH, gOING UNDER THE KNIFE TERRIFIES ME ESPECIALLY WHEN I SEE SOME WHO HAVE STILL WITY NUMB FINGERS AND STIFF NECK. hELP IF YOU CAN WITH ANY INFO. tHANKS. mEG. mEAGAN@GRANDSTRANDCPAS.COM
  • I am on ms cotin 100mg.percocet 10/325,and ambiem to sleep at night which none r working right now.
  • I hope you get a 2nd opinion if you're worried about surgery. Perhaps if you open your own thread under forum topic on the left column you'll get more responses. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • 6 epidural,radio freq,botox.2 loa