Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Something else other than your own bone

slowpoke60sslowpoke60 Posts: 139
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Has any one had their bone replacement done with other material such as Cerabone instead of a piece of their own bone in your neck or your back?

My doctor wants to use a piece of my hip bone in my neck and back, but a friend said that the porous ceramic type bone is what her doctor is going to use and that it is better on the person and you heal faster.

• I had cadaver bone used for my C5C6 ACDF in October and my 3 1/2 month recheck shows almost complete fusion. NS says I can go skiing in a couple weeks if I want to! However, statistically, cadaver bone does have a higher incidence of non-fusion than using your own bone. I was given a choice and I did NOT want to deal with the pain and potential complications of having my own hip cut into.
  • I have had two fusion surgeries and used cadavar bone both times. I had heard that taking bone from the hip actually hurts worse than the neck surgery.

A friend of the family used her hip bone and it bruised from her hip to her breast plate. You are suppose to have a better chance of fusion though.

• My NS prefers to use cadaver bone, it's already carved to the correct size and sterilized.
  • My first C6 C fusion the bone was from my hip. The pain from that was horrible. It was much worse than the neck surgery. My second fusion a C5 C6 the dr used what he called a synthetic plug. That surgery was a piece of cake . I am 3 months post op and I have no idea if it is fusing yet or not, hopefully it is.
    I had 2 different surgeons and neither one offered me an option.The 1st surgeon felt success was better with your own bone. The 2nd surgeon told me he wasn't going to mess around with autograft because it took to long. I hope he did the right thing.Also I had a spinal fusion 10 years ago and they used my own bone and I fused quickly. Good Luck, Bethy
  • Like it was said already, using your own bone sometimes is worse then the ACDF surgery itself. You run a risk of complications from removing your own bone as well, so you increase everything like having an infection or other complication by 50% (so I was told).

I had cadaver bone put in. After my flexion and extension x-rays, my NS said I was starting to fuse. I go back next Tuesday for my next check-up, so I will know how much I fused soon enough I guess.

It is very true that you can fuse better using your own bone, but many that have used their own bone have also not fused as well. I would venture to say that anyone that smokes, or has smoked would have better odds with their own bone. Smoking is something that can ruin a good surgery (so I was told).

Just for the record, I have never smoked.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    My first three level fusion with cadaver bone was a FAILURE ... only 10% fusion after over 1 year ... was a complete mess with the cadaver plug impacting down into the vertabrae as well as other problems ... my second four level was with my own hip bone ... complete fusion after 6 weeks .. My Hip bone is now connected to my Neck bone ... having experienced both ... my simple advise is to USE YOUR OWN BONE .. were talking about a simple harvest from the crest of your iliac (pelvic girdle)if they can't do that right you surely don't want them cutting into your NECK.

The pain from the harvest site is NOTHING compared to the pain that you should be experiencing before even considering an ACDF ... It is certainly nothing compared to the pain of a failed cadaver bone attempt ...

I'd go artificial before I'd allow another chunk or two of irradiated dead person bone in me again. Sorry but I'm a bit passionate about this issue.

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• The Doctor will be using bone from my hip. I had just read here on this site that some people are against it and some are for it, but I guess it depends on what the doctor uses.

I will be having my surgery on Feb. 24, for fusion on C5 C6 and C7, so I will report on how it went as soon as I feel up to being back on the computer.