Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prognosis for avoiding surgery IF oral steroids ease pain

diamondeddiamonde Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone,
Like many posts i've read so far... would really love to avoid my upcoming double discetcomy surgery date on 24th Feb!! As a last ditch effort my NS added an oral steroid called dexamethasone 12mg per day to my cocktail of meds (difene 150mg, lyrica 400mg, zantec, and solpadol and or tramoldol prn. The i hope wonderful news for me is that while i'm on this week course of the oral steroids, i'm already noticing fabulous improvement in my arm pain!! What i'm wondering is if the oral steroids work while you are taking them... what might happen when i finish the course in 2 days time??? Is it possible this has this brought my 3 month nightmare to an end... and the pain will stay gone and i get to dodge the surgery bullet??? or..... might the pain come back in the days after i finish the course of steroids???

I'd love to hear from as many as possible about what happened after you took oral steroids re their success for you... if any!! (hoping so for your sake and mine!!)

L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• Sorry to tell you, steroids did nothing for me but mess with my mind. They made me feel spacey.
  • Steroids did not help me either. On a good note,my sister and good friend got significant relief with prednisone and physical therapy, They have both avoided surgery so far. bethy
  • Just thouht i'd thank you for you your comments, and give an update.... the steroids were helplful from a pain perspective for 2 days... then while still on the meds the pain came back. Since off the oral steroids... pain has just been increasing in intensity and frequency. sooooo roll on surgery on the 24th Feb! :O

L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD